solar panel

Eloi Bamberg

Hi, I am upgrading my solar panels on the arch. I am hesitating between the SunPower Maxeon 3 400W and the TrinaSolar Vertex S 400W (similar size and power, but huge price difference). Does anybody have some experiences with one of these....or a better option? I want to install minimum 3 x 400W.
regards,
Eloi
SM2K 426 Red Lion

michael winand

I went with the LG neon 2,  happy  they have been putting out more than their ratings,  345w has peaked at 395w.
Try to get the class A panels rated for use on the coastline,  I think you get what you pay for with solar panels.
Michael  Nebo sm251

On Wed, 19 May 2021 at 7:51 am, Eloi Bamberg
<eloi.bamberg@...> wrote:
Hi, I am upgrading my solar panels on the arch. I am hesitating between the SunPower Maxeon 3 400W and the TrinaSolar Vertex S 400W (similar size and power, but huge price difference). Does anybody have some experiences with one of these....or a better option? I want to install minimum 3 x 400W.
regards,
Eloi
SM2K 426 Red Lion

Chris Doucette

I have two LG Neon 2s also-  great panels

<eloi.bamberg@...> wrote:
Hi, I am upgrading my solar panels on the arch. I am hesitating between the SunPower Maxeon 3 400W and the TrinaSolar Vertex S 400W (similar size and power, but huge price difference). Does anybody have some experiences with one of these....or a better option? I want to install minimum 3 x 400W.
regards,
Eloi
SM2K 426 Red Lion

Dean Gillies

Eloi,
My tuppence worth.

Both Trina and Sunpower make good quality panels.

If price was not a problem, then I would choose the Sunpower because:
1. It is a little more efficient, and therefore the panel area is ~8% smaller for a given output.
2. It is little lighter, therefore ~6kg less loading on the structure;
3. It's frame is 10mm thicker, implying a bit more structural strength.

You should note that the operating voltage for the Sunpower is 75V compared to 41V for the Trina.  I think this limits your option of series connection (if you particularly wanted to do that).

If the price difference is REALLY huge, then I would be happy with Trina panels.

Good luck
Dean
SV Stella A54-154

Paul Osterberg

I just install 2 Maximo 3 panels, very pleased so fare.maxumum peek watt registered is 560w. Max for one day is 2600 wh. That is South Portugal in early May.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM 259

Bill Kinney

Eloi,

For what it is worth, I have older LG panels as well, and they have also run well above their rated output.  Ours were the first generation of the LG panels, and were rated at 315W and routinely output 375W each.

I am really curious, how you are going to fit three panels that are each 1046mm wide on your arch?  It seems to me that a width of over 3.1m will be a real hazard maneuvering around docks and pilings.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hollywood, FL, USA

Herman Goverse

We’re looking at the LG Neon and Sunpower panels as well, haven’t decided yet. But when looking at the voltage level of two panel in series we get to a serious (and costly) Victron MPPT controller. What did you select for the controllers?

Herman
--
SY-Kolibri - SM #174

Paul Osterberg

Herman
I would not put the panels in serie, shadow will reduce production significantly more than if you have them in serie. I have 4 Victron MPPT controllers, one for each Maxium 3 panel, one  for 2x180 w 36 v parallell panels on the rail, and one for 2x150 w 36 v semiflexible panels on my Bimini also in parallell.
Typical out put from the one on the rail a normal sunny day is 2000-2300wh, for the semiflexible only 700wh as much more shadow on the bimini, but also semiflexible panels have not the same performance as ridgid panels. total around or exceed 7000 wh/day.
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

Dean Gillies

Hi folks,
Interesting that people comment about getting more output than their panel ratings.

All solar panels have the capability to produce more than their rated output.  This is not some some magic which belongs to particular brands of panel.
It is almost entirely the result of the energy delivered by the sun on the panel and the alignment angle of the panel to the sun.  (There are also second order losses due to wiring, power conversion and temperature)

Panels are rated by all manufacturers according to standard test conditions with a reference insolation power of 1000W/sqm.  After production, the panels are subjected to exactly this level of insolation (artificially and accurately produced), directly on the face of the panel and the output power is measured. The panels are then sorted into groups depending upon how much power they produce.  This is why the manufacturers have a range of different panel power ratings, say 390W, 395W, 400W and 405W, on their top of the range products.  There is no difference in the production process, but there is a natural tolerance spread.  This way of grouping panels tends to be more common with newer panels at the highest end of performance. Its a competitive thing because they want to quote the highest performance/efficiency number to beat the competition, so will advertise heavily, for example, the 405W performance. It may be that only 1% of the produced panels reach this level, and so they are also very expensive.  As technology moves on, the manufacturers keep producing these panels, but after a while they are not at the bleeding edge of performance, and end up being rated with only one power, which is generally the minimum achieved in production. They will also move to sample testing only, which keeps the price competitive.

In the real world, the insolation level is not always 1000W/sqm and of course our panels are not perfectly aligned to the solar axis.  Sometimes the insolation from the sun is much more than 1000W/sqm and if our panels happen to be well aligned at that time then they will of course produce more than their rated power.  Unfortunately, most of the time they produce less !

The highest levels of efficiency at the moment for commercially available panels is around 22-23%.  That means that a top performing panel of area 1sqm when subjected to a perfectly aligned reference insolation power of 1000W/sqm, will produce 220-230W. Beware of panels advertising more than 230W/sqm performance, they don't exist yet.

If you stick to a reputable manufacturer, you should receive an accurately calibrated product which produces less than rated output most of the time, but sometimes if you are in the right place and you align your panel properly, you might get 10, 20, 30% more than rated output.

I really need to get back to my boat!

Dean
SV Stella A54-154

Scott SV Tengah

Just curious for those of you getting more than rated output, how long does that over-rated output persist?

I have 960W of rear arch mounted LG Neon2 panels and I've seen it spike to slightly above that, but my Victron MPPT is limited to 35 amps output so charging output is usually cut off by the MPPT output limitation.

Most of the time I am sitting around 860-920 watts max output at solar noon. I believe my spikes above rated output occur around solar noon on partly cloudy days when the sun has been behind a cloud, the solar panels cool down and then get hit by strong solar insolation. At that moment, I get the output spike, but once the panels heat up again, the output drops.

Remember, solar output is highly dependent on panel temperature. That's why deck/bimini mounted panels perform so much worse than arch mounted ones. Well that and the shading issue.

If I'm wrong, the power output curve should remain above rated output for an extended period of time. If I'm losing out on amp-hours because of my "undersized" MPPT, I want to know!

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Bill Kinney

Scott,

Dean has given a great explanation of how solar panel manufacturing tolerances and marketing interact.  We bought our panels when they were new on the market, and we lucky enough to have gotten a pair with well above rated output, but it's a crap shoot. We will see above rated output most sunny days for about an hour either side of local noon.  But of course peak output is not REALLY what matters.  Total daily energy output is really what we care about.

Our two arch mounted, horizontal, 315W rated, panels generate between 3.25 and 3.5 kW-hrs on a typical sunny day in south Florida in the spring.  In June we will see as high as 4.0 kW-hrs.  This is on those days when our batteries are accepting a bulk charge all day.  Our normal daily power consumption at anchor is about 6 kW-hrs, so the solar panels give us a bit more than half our total usage.  We run the generator every other day to bring the batteries up to about a 93% charge in the AM, and the solar panels then bring them up to 100% full by 14:00.  It is a set up that has worked really well for us.

Most of the 6kW-hr power usage is refrigeration.  We run two freezers, and a fridge, and the Amel installed insulation is not the greatest. A serious upgrade of the insulation is on our wish list.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hollywood, FL

Nick Fowle SM 404 Rascal <svrascal@...>

I have similar experience with my two LG360s on the arch. According to Victron I have benefited on a few days in excess of 900wts  peaks , and regular days in excess of 800-840wts peaks. Ironically the 900 days are not highly correlated to the highest total power days, where I can get around 4kwh out of the panels. However with the weather changing down here the overall yield has declined significantly recently, but I do continue to get some days of peak output which is slightly higher than rated, but the total yield  during the day rarely gets above 3KWh and is bound to decline further.

The Bimini ones (2*220) rarely exceed rated output, but when they do, they can exceed the combined theoretical total by around 10-15%. They are not as consistent given shading etc . As per the LG’s there appears (according to Victron) to be very little correlation between peak power days  and highest overall yield during the day so now I largely ignore peak power.

Best days I’ve had around 5.8-6.2 KWh  from the four panels, and these were sailing days back in early April, not on anchor. Now, on a good day here in Carriacou I get around 4-4.75kwh and last week , as low as 1.5kwh across the four. The weather was pretty special in Southern parts of Grenada last week.

Both sets are wired in parallel. I recently switched the Bimini ones from being in series (as per instructed ) to parallel but  haven’t a really seen a  material difference in performance. It’s hard to make any meaningful comparison/ analysis on the switch over mainly I think due to changes in the weather here in Grenada over the past few weeks. This week the weather in Carriacou has been pretty good but hazy (Sahara sand apparently) but the Bimini panels now in parallel have performed worse than when in series. Will continue to monitor, too many variables to make any meaningful conclusions right now.

I have to run the genset roughly once a week at anchor, mainly for the water maker. My 3KW Quattro overheats after about 30mins if I am running the water maker off the Quattro/ battery bank alone. As the season changes further, the genset hours will obviously increase, until I move on after AZ2 jab scheduled for mid June.

Bill , if you come up with a plan for the insulation please share. Like you the fridges and freezers are a significant portion of the overall daily consumption, even when taking into account that I cook / bake on electric.

Nick
SV Rascal
SM 404
Tyrell bay, Carriacou

Sent from ProtonMail for iOS

On Thu, May 20, 2021 at 9:29 PM, Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:
[...]

Sv Garulfo

I usually find that a slight overcast yields better output, but i don’t know if it’s related to the potentially lower temperature of the panels or the dispersion of the solar rays.

My skin also agrees; an slight overcast is an easy way to get sunburnt.

I also think some manufacturers promote better guaranteed output over the life of the product, even if it means having to put forward a lower power rating to start with. So your panels may start with a better output than promised and end within the advertised  range.

Scott,
With 900W of solar, occurrences of 35+ amps are pretty rare for me. It needs an almost vertical sun. I don’t think you’re missing out much.

Best,

Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Huahine, French Polynesia

On 20 May 2021, at 18:29, Nick Fowle SM 404 Rascal via groups.io <svrascal@...> wrote:

[...]

Nicolas Klene

Hello Eloi
I am having an arch built as we speak for 3 SunPower Maxeon 3 400W...
I hope it will not be an eyesore and difficult to handle in a marina .
 I should be able to see the arch being built ,next week
--
Nicolas Klene
DarNico

Dan Carlson

Here are a few more real data points from our two LG Neon2 335w panels on our solar arch.

649KW produced over ~210 days from Oct 2 - 21 May.  = 2.82 kw/day. We did not get above 3Kw/day until we reached Antigua in late December (coudy and too far north in Bermuda in November and early December). We started to hit 4kw/day in Martinique and then the USVI in March& April. And now we've exceeded 5kw on a number of sunny days in the Chesapeake Bay  in May.

Our base consumption at anchor is about 3.6kw/ day, plus more if we run the water heater and do induction cooking.

We chose the two LG Neon panels because the fit within the existing solar arch frame. We've had several close encounters with various tall poles in marina's that we've stayed in over the years. Go too wide and with unprotected corners and you risk a broken panel.

But solar is great! Out generator usage was cut in half this year after our upgrade to 71.3 hrs.  We basically only need the generator for the water-maker when in the Caribbean.

Best regards Daniel and Lori Carlson on sv BeBe, SM #387

On Fri, May 21, 2021, 7:45 AM Nicolas Klene via groups.io <laixoi=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello Eloi
I am having an arch built as we speak for 3 SunPower Maxeon 3 400W...
I hope it will not be an eyesore and difficult to handle in a marina .
 I should be able to see the arch being built ,next week
--
Nicolas Klene
DarNico
SM2K # 471
In Marseille

This may not be the case in any of the situations above where more energy is noted than rated values, but:

If when installing the solar panels if you connect the negative wire from the MPPT to the shunt or near the shunt, you will see erroneous energy reported.

As you see below, this may be more of an issue with some SM owners who find an easy place to connect the negative input wire.
image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 9:32 AM Dan Carlson <carlsdan61@...> wrote:
[...]

Nick,

I would love to hear more about your Bimini panels. Model, how you mounted them, how you ran the wires, etc.

Now that we're going to try to cook more on induction, I surmise I may need to add more solar.

Also I can't remember who was discussing the 3kw vs 5kw, but I think your experience is evidence that with the current delivery capacity of lithium, it makes all the sense in the world to get the 5kw. With our 5kw Quattro, it has never overheated even running the dishwasher, washing machine and occasional kitchen appliance concurrently.

If you have a scuba compressor, it's a no brainer, imo. Even with a intake hose extension, I still don't like running the genset at the same time as the compressor to avoid the off chance that I get exhaust fumes in my scuba tank. Enough stuff to worry about diving in the middle of nowhere, far from a decompression chamber. We have filled 3 tanks sequentially on inverter/battery with no overheating issues.

There's the 8kw Quattro, but the idle power consumption of that monster is excessive.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Juan de Zulueta

Nick,

I am in Tyrell bay in Carriacou.
I am very interested by your installation are you coming back soon to Tyrell bay?
Best regards

Juan
Ophélie X sm32
Tyrell bay Carriacou

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 21 mai 2021 à 13:41, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> a écrit :

[...]

I have two Solbian SR+ 240 on the Bimini. It’s a love hate thing with them and the Bimini. The Bimini was made in Antigua and sadly not well. On top of that The panels weigh enough to cause sag and chafe. I’ve had the Bimini adapted here in Grenada to support the weight. I have attached a few photos which I hope illustrate this, if not let me know and I will send some more.

Worth noting that my Bimini is pretty much fixed in place. Taking it down for repairs etc is pretty time consuming and complex process as it now has four stainless bars running front to back holding the panels and these bars are hidden in pockets . I hope the pictures help illustrate this. Let me know if you would like more.

I ran the cables through pockets stitched into the bimini so they are protected from main sheet/ sun etc , down the stb side Bimini and into the area where the winch circuit breakers are housed on the SM, which is above the pilot berth. From there the cables run direct to the Victron MPPT which, along with the two other MPPT’s are housed next to the nav station, taking over the wet gear hanging area, if that makes sense. I don’t know 54’s that well so this may not make sense. This puts the MPPTs a very short distance from the main battery bank. All the solar and wind MPPTs are isolated with circuit breakers between the panels / silent wind and their respective MPPT and then again between the MPPT and the batteries.

The Solbian  panels were fearsomely expensive when compared to the LG’s and other Brand’s of semi flexible, but they work,  are apparently very efficient and so far I haven’t had any of the overheating issues I have read about on other semi flex panels. I do feel better now knowing they are very well supported and ventilated after revising the Bimini. On anchor I move the main boom away from the panels to avoid shade. I can’t do much with regards the masts !

I think you are spot on with the 3km vs 5Kw. I have looked up changing mine, but haven’t yet. My experience is that with 600amH of lithium used for everything (cooking etc) on anchor I have to dial back in what I’m using. For example oven and two rings is about ok, if the immersion is on, that’s too much. The water maker is the “problem”. I know I can get 30mins before it cuts out, so I tend to do short daily runs, and then once a week fire  up the genset and top up tanks and batteries if I need.

I’ve looked at the 5Kw as a solution, and it’s a tight fit in my engine bay, unless I remove the MasterVolt 100amp charger, which I am loathe to do right now. However I have also read that the 5Kw when being used heavily doesn’t like poorly ventilated areas. I think from my experience that’s also true of the 3KW which may actually be my real problem when just using Water maker alone. It’s such a constant draw, whereas the galley equipment  alternates much more than the WM, so in my simplistic mind gives the Quattro a rest and allows some cooling down.  My sense is that unless I move the Quattro, even with a 5Kw I am likely to have overheating issues. I’m not an expert on this, just seems logical to me and would be an expensive experiment.

I don’t have a compressor on board, but I’m doing more diving than I thought and have started looking at models and where to possibly mount it. I like where it’s supposed to go on the SM , but putting it there means I have to play musical chairs with a lot of other things. With a compressor I would have to solve the Quattro size and overheat issue beforehand.

Hope this helps.

Nick
SV Rascal
SM404
 🇬🇩

On Fri, May 21, 2021 at 1:41 PM, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

[...]

Juan,

Yes, I’m heading back up there I hope on Saturday (week tomorrow)  and will be there for a few weeks at least.

Let me know your plans and hopefully we can meet up.

How was the dive yesterday ? Was it you that went past me in the Dingy as I was getting ready to head off ?

Nick
SV Rascal
SM404
🇬🇩