Topics

Solar Panels

ngtnewington Newington

Hello fellow Amel owners,

In 2017 I purchased Amelia in Grenada and built a solar and wind arch. It has been great. I installed what was available at the time; namely two 265w mono panels measuring 1655mm x 992mm.

I am pretty close to self sufficient if there is some wind, but as we all know you can not have too much power,  especially as I have a 2.4kw inverter that can soak up a lot of power.

I am back in the UK for a few weeks and see, Canadian Solar have a mono 410w panel  measuring 1700mm x 992mm. The same width but only 45mm longer. This would pump out over 50% extra….in those two years the technology has improved a lot!!! The amazing thing is that the prices have fallen too. I paid US$ 363 for each panel. Still waiting on prices but will be less for sure. It would not be a huge expense to upgrade the panels as the whole infrastructure is already in place. 50% extra solar output is huge.

Does anyone have any opinion as to the very best panel to buy? Is there any specific technology I should look for?

This is just brainstorming at the moment...

Happy sailing

Nick

S/Y Amelia AML 54-019
Kefalonia, Greece.

Matt Salatino

My experience might be an outlier, but I had the best luck with the lowest price, Chinese panels, Trina, and a bad experience with the best, SunPower. After 4 years, the SunPower output 55%. They would not honor their warranty. The Trina’s after 5 years, are doing great.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Sep 5, 2019, at 6:48 AM, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

[...]

Porter McRoberts

My LG 315 panels consistently out perform their rating of 315w giving up to 350w. They are about 2.3 years old. I haven’t seen any degradation.
Good Luck Nick.
Now I’m looking at wind gens!

Porter
A54-152
Niue

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Sep 5, 2019, at 6:07 AM, Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

[...]

Scott SV Tengah

I'll echo Porter's praise of the LG panels. I have the Neon2 320w and combined they should output 960w.

My MPPT is supposed to handle 1000watts / 35amps and has maxed out more than once, indicating the LG is putting out more than rated output. I add about 200-250AH a day via the LGs.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69