Topics

sonic speed on SM 2000

Marco Mancini

 On our SM the sonic speed,  the one with the two sensors,  that is connected to Hydra 200 is giving zero speed on the hydra 2000 monitor.
This was probably due to the loss of the neoprene cap of the aft  sensor . Unfortunately this probe is out of production from long time.

Please Did  you hknow how to  repair it ?  Do you know how replace the cable and the aft sensor?
thanks
marco
Italy SM304

Arno Luijten

Try this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/B-G-B-G-Sonic-Speed-Replacement-Transducer-Tube-LG-Bung-Sensor-184-00-076-F/402122695012?hash=item5da0616164:g:cZsAAOSw0VteVu1L

I'm not sure if this is the one in your boat as they made two different models. A straight one (this one) and a angular one.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

I just got replacements from here:

https://maxmarineelectronics.com/product/b-g-bg-sonic-speed-replacement-transducer-tube-lg-bung-sensor-184-00-076-f/

They were delivered to the UK. I Have not used them yet but they look to be correct.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

--
Cheers
Paul

Mohammad Shirloo

Thanks for the information Paul. Have you checked and confirmed the S/N to be sure this is the correct part for the 54s?

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

 On our SM the sonic speed,  the one with the two sensors,  that is connected to Hydra 200 is giving zero speed on the hydra 2000 monitor.
This was probably due to the loss of the neoprene cap of the aft  sensor . Unfortunately this probe is out of production from long time.

Please Did  you hknow how to  repair it ?  Do you know how replace the cable and the aft sensor?
thanks
marco
Italy SM304

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Marco Mancini

Dear Paul and Arno,
thanks for your usefull  info.
Do you have also examined how to remove the old sensor  (  the aft one) and its cable? its frontal part with the probe  seems to be glued in the front part pf the keel.
cheers
Marco
SM Desiree , Italy , Naples

Il giorno 13 mag 2020, alle ore 00:09, Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> ha scritto:

[...]

Hi Marco,

The Ebay link and the Maxmarineshop link are actually one and the same vendor.

The partnumber seems to match the partnumber referred to in the installation manual of B&G, assuming Amel used the straight version. They came in the original B&G box carrying that number.

I have not examined the way the are mounted in detail as mine are still working. But they must be mounted from the underside I would say. There is a tube inside the hull leading all the way into the bilge.

I’m guessing the sensor is pushed in the hole bedded in Sikaflex. So I’m sure it will be a pig to remove once the time comes. I guess the best way is by drilling a hole in the face of the sensor and putting in a large screw to get some leverage to pull it out. Remember to tie a piece of string to the other end to feed in the new sensor once the old one is out.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Arno,

This is good info. Should there be any precautions taken to ensure they are correctly aligned?

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

[...]

Mohammad,

The serial number is 184-00-076/F.

I have no way of knowing that the existing ones are identical, but I believe there was an earlier forum discussion on this confirming this serial number.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

 On our SM the sonic speed,  the one with the two sensors,  that is connected to Hydra 200 is giving zero speed on the hydra 2000 monitor.
This was probably due to the loss of the neoprene cap of the aft  sensor . Unfortunately this probe is out of production from long time.

Please Did  you hknow how to  repair it ?  Do you know how replace the cable and the aft sensor?
thanks
marco
Italy SM304

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Arno Luijten

Given the length of the sensors and the (guestimated) diameter of the hole I would say the sensors are self-aligning just because of the fit.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Marco,

I sent you an email with the instructions you need.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar