Topics

sonic speed on SM 2000

Marco Mancini

On our SM the sonic speed,  the one with the two sensors,  that is connected to Hydra 200 is giving zero speed on the hydra 2000 monitor.
This was probably due to the loss of the neoprene cap of the aft  sensor . Unfortunately this probe is out of production from long time.

Please Did  you hknow how to  repair it ?  Do you know how replace the cable and the aft sensor?
thanks
marco
Italy SM304

Arno Luijten

Try this.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/B-G-B-G-Sonic-Speed-Replacement-Transducer-Tube-LG-Bung-Sensor-184-00-076-F/402122695012?hash=item5da0616164:g:cZsAAOSw0VteVu1L

I'm not sure if this is the one in your boat as they made two different models. A straight one (this one) and a angular one.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

I just got replacements from here:

https://maxmarineelectronics.com/product/b-g-bg-sonic-speed-replacement-transducer-tube-lg-bung-sensor-184-00-076-f/

They were delivered to the UK. I Have not used them yet but they look to be correct.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marco Mancini
Sent: 12 May 2020 22:17
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] sonic speed on SM 2000

On our SM the sonic speed,  the one with the two sensors,  that is connected to Hydra 200 is giving zero speed on the hydra 2000 monitor.
This was probably due to the loss of the neoprene cap of the aft  sensor . Unfortunately this probe is out of production from long time.

Please Did  you hknow how to  repair it ?  Do you know how replace the cable and the aft sensor?
thanks
marco
Italy SM304

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Mohammad Shirloo

Thanks for the information Paul. Have you checked and confirmed the S/N to be sure this is the correct part for the 54s?

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 3:10 PM
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] sonic speed on SM 2000

https://maxmarineelectronics.com/product/b-g-bg-sonic-speed-replacement-transducer-tube-lg-bung-sensor-184-00-076-f/

They were delivered to the UK. I Have not used them yet but they look to be correct.

Cheers,

Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marco Mancini

thanks
marco
Italy SM304

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Marco Mancini

Dear Paul and Arno, 
thanks for your usefull  info. 
Do you have also examined how to remove the old sensor  (  the aft one) and its cable? its frontal part with the probe  seems to be glued in the front part pf the keel.
cheers 
Marco 
SM Desiree , Italy , Naples

Il giorno 13 mag 2020, alle ore 00:09, Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> ha scritto:

Cheers,
Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marco Mancini
Sent: 12 May 2020 22:17
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] sonic speed on SM 2000

thanks 
marco 
Italy SM304 

-- 
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Arno Luijten

Hi Marco,

The Ebay link and the Maxmarineshop link are actually one and the same vendor.

The partnumber seems to match the partnumber referred to in the installation manual of B&G, assuming Amel used the straight version. They came in the original B&G box carrying that number.

I have not examined the way the are mounted in detail as mine are still working. But they must be mounted from the underside I would say. There is a tube inside the hull leading all the way into the bilge. 

I’m guessing the sensor is pushed in the hole bedded in Sikaflex. So I’m sure it will be a pig to remove once the time comes. I guess the best way is by drilling a hole in the face of the sensor and putting in a large screw to get some leverage to pull it out. Remember to tie a piece of string to the other end to feed in the new sensor once the old one is out. 

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Arno,

This is good info. Should there be any precautions taken to ensure they are correctly aligned?

Cheers,

Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Arno Luijten
Sent: 13 May 2020 11:12

Hi Marco,

The partnumber seems to match the partnumber referred to in the installation manual of B&G, assuming Amel used the straight version. They came in the original B&G box carrying that number.

I have not examined the way the are mounted in detail as mine are still working. But they must be mounted from the underside I would say. There is a tube inside the hull leading all the way into the bilge. 

I’m guessing the sensor is pushed in the hole bedded in Sikaflex. So I’m sure it will be a pig to remove once the time comes. I guess the best way is by drilling a hole in the face of the sensor and putting in a large screw to get some leverage to pull it out. Remember to tie a piece of string to the other end to feed in the new sensor once the old one is out. 

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Mohammad,

The serial number is 184-00-076/F.

I have no way of knowing that the existing ones are identical, but I believe there was an earlier forum discussion on this confirming this serial number.

Cheers,

Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Mohammad Shirloo
Sent: 12 May 2020 23:52

Thanks for the information Paul. Have you checked and confirmed the S/N to be sure this is the correct part for the 54s?

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, May 12, 2020 3:10 PM

Cheers,

Paul

thanks
marco
Italy SM304

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Arno Luijten

Given the length of the sensors and the (guestimated) diameter of the hole I would say the sensors are self-aligning just because of the fit.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Marco,

I sent you an email with the instructions you need.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, May 13, 2020 at 1:55 AM Marco Mancini <marcomancini61@...> wrote:
Dear Paul and Arno, 
Do you have also examined how to remove the old sensor  (  the aft one) and its cable? its frontal part with the probe  seems to be glued in the front part pf the keel.
cheers 
Marco 

Il giorno 13 mag 2020, alle ore 00:09, Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> ha scritto:

Cheers,
Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marco Mancini

thanks 
marco 
Italy SM304 

-- 
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello,

As the old B&G Hydra system gave up on our 54, and also the sonic speed system failed. I did not see a reasonable way to go on and repair the old system. 
So we renewed the windvane and use Triton2 instruments. 
To replace the sonic speed sensor, we choosed the Airmar DST800 tridata sensor. It fits in the through hull of the old deapth sensor and givs all, speed, deapth, sea temperature. 
With that renewal comes an NMEA2k bus and all the old Hydra central cpu and extension processor and all the wiring goes off. 
In that way we did not need to drill a new throughull and keapt the compfortable sonic speed without paddle wheel. 

Oliver from Vela Nautica Amel54#39 
Martinique 

On Wed, May 13, 2020, 10:30 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
Marco,

Bill

Dear Paul and Arno, 
cheers 
Marco 

Cheers,
Paul

thanks 
marco 
Italy SM304 

-- 
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Bill,

Are these instructions in your book?

Cheers,

Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: 13 May 2020 15:30
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>

Marco,

Bill

Dear Paul and Arno, 

cheers 

Marco 

Cheers,

Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.ioOn Behalf Of Marco Mancini

thanks 
marco 
Italy SM304 

-- 
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Paul,

Yes, and they have been recently updated. I sent you an email on how to update your book.

Bill

On Thu, May 14, 2020 at 5:13 AM Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown <paul.dowd@...> wrote:

Bill,

Are these instructions in your book?

Cheers,

Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of CW Bill Rouse
Sent: 13 May 2020 15:30
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io Notification <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>

Marco,

Bill

Dear Paul and Arno, 

cheers 

Marco 

Cheers,

Paul

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.ioOn Behalf Of Marco Mancini

thanks 
marco 
Italy SM304 

-- 
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

--
Cheers
Paul
Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98

Marco Mancini

Dear Arno, Paul , Oliver, Mohamed,  Bill 
thanks for your suggestions that are very help-full to me.  Indeed as you may  understand our SM  Desiree is quite 20 years old  and her  electronic has the same age  also if we have always maintained it substituting  time by time the broken  components of the system. 
In any case  the Hydra 2000 cpu  at present is the main cpu that acquires data from the different sensors among which there is also the sonic speed one and all is perfectly functioning except the speed.  If it will be possible I think that the substitution of the sonic speed sensor  is at present the best solution because it is  compatibility with the Hydra 2000  CPU . The use of different more advanced and updated sensors does not ensure this compatibility due the interaction with the old system.  I am also far from the boat ( Milan)  and the boat is in Naples. 
This attached  picture shows what you can see on the keel i.e. the the hole of the aft sensor or more precisely the hole that presumably were occupied by the head of the sensor that we lost.  
What is unclear to me is if the hole in the keel was only occupied  by a neoprene cap or what we have lost is a sensible part of the sensor. In  this second case  will be necessary  to replace the sensor otherwise we can try to add a  neoprene cap and try to set the gain on the sensor cpu. 
Do you have some suggestions and  ideas about ? 
again thanks 
cheers 
marco 

Il giorno 13 mag 2020, alle ore 12:12, Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> ha scritto:

Hi Marco,

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Giovanni TESTA

Ciao Marco, stesso problema con diversa soluzione. Scrivimi direttamente.
BV
Giovanni Testa
Sv Eutikia SM 2k 428

Il Gio 14 Mag 2020, 21:34 Marco Mancini <marcomancini61@...> ha scritto:
Dear Arno, Paul , Oliver, Mohamed,  Bill 
thanks for your suggestions that are very help-full to me.  Indeed as you may  understand our SM  Desiree is quite 20 years old  and her  electronic has the same age  also if we have always maintained it substituting  time by time the broken  components of the system. 
In any case  the Hydra 2000 cpu  at present is the main cpu that acquires data from the different sensors among which there is also the sonic speed one and all is perfectly functioning except the speed.  If it will be possible I think that the substitution of the sonic speed sensor  is at present the best solution because it is  compatibility with the Hydra 2000  CPU . The use of different more advanced and updated sensors does not ensure this compatibility due the interaction with the old system.  I am also far from the boat ( Milan)  and the boat is in Naples. 
This attached  picture shows what you can see on the keel i.e. the the hole of the aft sensor or more precisely the hole that presumably were occupied by the head of the sensor that we lost.  
What is unclear to me is if the hole in the keel was only occupied  by a neoprene cap or what we have lost is a sensible part of the sensor. In  this second case  will be necessary  to replace the sensor otherwise we can try to add a  neoprene cap and try to set the gain on the sensor cpu. 
Do you have some suggestions and  ideas about ? 
again thanks 
cheers 
marco 

Il giorno 13 mag 2020, alle ore 12:12, Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> ha scritto:

Hi Marco,

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Stefan Jeukendrup

Hi Marco,

Transducers will be filled with moisture over time, especially without the rubber cap.
You can measure the resistance: disconnect the transducer from the Sonic Speed box.
It should be 110 kilo ohm +-1% between red and black, infinite ohms to the screen.

Did the exchange job 2 months ago.
*. Aft transducer on the keel        :   translucent hose in the locker near the washing machine/freezer
* Forward transducer on the hull :   grey pipe under the seat near the bathroom bulkhead
See the 2 pictures:

Procedure:
Detach ALL tie-wraps from the black transducer cables in the pipes to the Sonic Speed control box in the small cupboard
* firmly solder long extension cables to the old transducer cable ends
* drill holes in the center of the old transducers, fit self tapping screw
* pull the screw while someone inside the boat feeds the extended cable into the pipe
* important: leave the extended part of the cable in the pipe because you will use it to pull the new sensor in!
* clean and lubricate the pipe end where the transducer sits in the hull e.g. silicone grease.
* solder a new sensor to the extension cable and pull the new sensor in while someone at the other end of the pipe gently pulls the cables in.

I did the last point with the boat in the water as both pipes end  well above the waterline.

My transducers are B&G part number 184-00-076/FI.

Good luck, this is less daunting than it looks....

Stefan Jeukendrup
sv Malaka Queen SM2k  #348 @Monastir