Topics

Sq. footage of hull

Patrick McAneny

I am buying Interprotect 2000 and I want to order the correct number of gallons to do three coats. Does anyone know how many sq. feet the hull is on a SM ? If I ever knew I have forgotten. 
Thanks, 
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

Hi Pat we are about to antifoul our SM2K and we did the calculations as follows:

To paint a 14.5 (lwl) x 4.6 x 2.1 fin-keeled-racing, with 3 coats

You'll need 14 litres 

Regards

Ross and Donna

SV Intrepid Kiwi

SM2K #356

Currently in Turkey

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Tuesday, October 13, 2020, 9:07 pm, Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...> wrote:

I am buying Interprotect 2000 and I want to order the correct number of gallons to do three coats. Does anyone know how many sq. feet the hull is on a SM ? If I ever knew I have forgotten. 
Thanks, 
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Mark Erdos

Pat,

I don’t know the sq ft but, I have always estimated 4 gallons for three coats. Also, I add an extra gallon for extra paint at the water-line and downward about one foot. Total: 5 gallons.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Patrick McAneny via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 8:08 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Sq. footage of hull

Thanks, 
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Pat,

I can tell you that the many times we painted the bottom, it took most of a 20-liter pale (available in most parts of the world). We painted 2 full coats and a 3rd on the waterline, keel, skeg, and rudder.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Oct 13, 2020 at 2:00 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Pat,

I don’t know the sq ft but, I have always estimated 4 gallons for three coats. Also, I add an extra gallon for extra paint at the water-line and downward about one foot. Total: 5 gallons.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Patrick McAneny via groups.io
Sent: Tuesday, October 13, 2020 8:08 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Sq. footage of hull

Thanks, 
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Sheriffdep

Edited

SV Delos has a good video for measuring the sq footage of the SM2k bottom and they used 9 gal of primer "I think"for their bottom. Around 705sqft. One layer grey, one white, and another grey. Then they used a new tech type spray on coating for the anti foul.  But that video is SV Delos Bottom Work in Grenada and that will tell you exactly how much they used, I just haven't watched it in awhile.  Hope this helps, in reading what others put you have several options for sizes.  

Craig Briggs

Interesting that the Delos crew seem not to know that Amel has always used a barrier coat inside the gelcoat such that blisters are not an issue. After sand-blasting, which may have compromised the gelcoat/barrier coat they then applied 3 layer$ of barrier coat. Oh well, belts and suspender$ and suspender$ and suspender$. Great that a blog can handle the budget.
SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL