St Maarten vs Antigua

Courtney Gorman

I’m trying to decide where to base Trippin this upcoming season in the northern Caribbean. To me good safe dockage and ease of flights from the states are important considerations. Would appreciate your input.
Cheers 🍻
Courtney
Trippin
54#101

Porter McRoberts

Following this!!
Porter

Ibis A54-152

W. Porter McRoberts
+1 754 265 2206

On Sep 18, 2022, at 10:37 AM, Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1@...> wrote:

I’m trying to decide where to base Trippin this upcoming season in the northern Caribbean.  To me good safe dockage and ease of flights from the states are important considerations.  Would appreciate your input.
Cheers 🍻
Courtney
Trippin
54#101

Alexandre Uster von Baar

I can only speak for Sint Maarten as I spent 3 months there and now am a resident - no experience with Antigua.

Definitely ease of flight with Juliana (SXM).

Great access to food, alcohol, there is also no import duty which simplify a lot for parts.

Regarding the marinas, they are various choices with various budgets.

I always like Island Water World (where Eric now keeps Kimberlite), cheaper and good service.

There is also IGY Simpson Bay - in my opinion too expensive for what it is, but there is some security (if people come by foot - not if people come by dinghy).

Port de Plaisance is a much nicer marina, definitely more enjoyable to stay in, but anyone can walk in.

For anchoring, there is the lagoon (I would stay on the Dutch side).

Hope that helps, sincerely, Alexandre

Formerly SM2K #289 NIKIMAT

On Sunday, September 18, 2022, 10:40:06 AM AST, Porter McRoberts via groups.io <portermcroberts@...> wrote:

Following this!!
Porter

Ibis A54-152

W. Porter McRoberts
+1 754 265 2206

On Sep 18, 2022, at 10:37 AM, Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1@...> wrote:

I’m trying to decide where to base Trippin this upcoming season in the northern Caribbean.  To me good safe dockage and ease of flights from the states are important considerations.  Would appreciate your input.
Cheers 🍻
Courtney
Trippin
54#101

I think that my candidates would be:
Puerto Rico
St. Martin
Antigua
Martinique

Here is a hurricane study done on Martinique:

Martinique is not easy to fly to.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022, 11:21 Alexandre Uster von Baar via groups.io <uster=rocketmail.com@groups.io> wrote:

I can only speak for Sint Maarten as I spent 3 months there and now am a resident - no experience with Antigua.

Definitely ease of flight with Juliana (SXM).

Great access to food, alcohol, there is also no import duty which simplify a lot for parts.

Regarding the marinas, they are various choices with various budgets.

I always like Island Water World (where Eric now keeps Kimberlite), cheaper and good service.

There is also IGY Simpson Bay - in my opinion too expensive for what it is, but there is some security (if people come by foot - not if people come by dinghy).

Port de Plaisance is a much nicer marina, definitely more enjoyable to stay in, but anyone can walk in.

For anchoring, there is the lagoon (I would stay on the Dutch side).

Hope that helps, sincerely, Alexandre

Formerly SM2K #289 NIKIMAT

On Sunday, September 18, 2022, 10:40:06 AM AST, Porter McRoberts via groups.io <portermcroberts=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Following this!!
Porter

Ibis A54-152

W. Porter McRoberts
+1 754 265 2206

On Sep 18, 2022, at 10:37 AM, Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

I’m trying to decide where to base Trippin this upcoming season in the northern Caribbean.  To me good safe dockage and ease of flights from the states are important considerations.  Would appreciate your input.
Cheers 🍻
Courtney
Trippin
54#101

Chuck_Kim_Joy

Might be the odd man out here but I think Puerto Rico had a lot to offer. Salinas and Ponce offer great protection at a low price. Great land travel. Hidy holes galore. All the comforts of home and cheap flights back to many US destinations. Interesting, varied, lovely people. Whatever you can't find there you can purchase and ship as if you were sitting in mainland US.

Chuck and Kim
Joy #388

On Sun, Sep 18, 2022 at 4:37 PM Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I’m trying to decide where to base Trippin this upcoming season in the northern Caribbean.  To me good safe dockage and ease of flights from the states are important considerations.  Would appreciate your input.
Cheers 🍻
Courtney
Trippin
54#101

Alexandre Uster von Baar

To add to the conversation, back in 2016 I spent 5 months at the Club Nautico in San Juan.

I really enjoy the place, therefore there is a major fouling issue.  Usually I scuba dove and clean the hull, running gear once per month - I was surprised my neighbors were doing it every week (but mostly being sport fishermen I know they can be picky), and in my horror I found I had to clean the hull every week….

Other than that, good price, good location (in between old and new town), friendly people and minimal duty.

I would avoid “Saint Martin” in preference for Sint Maarten.

My understanding was this was for “high season” and not “Hurricane season” as a base for the vessel.

On Sunday, September 18, 2022, 12:28:02 PM AST, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Bill Kinney

Courtney,

Definitely a matter of taste. I don't think there is an objective reason to pick between the two. You'll find good docking options in both places.  We really enjoyed our short stay in Sint Maartin mostly because it was more cosmopolitan, and made a good base. With the shift in exchange rates, it has gotten less expensive for a cruiser budgeting in dollars.

We had no problem getting from Antigua to Miami by air, so I'll suggest that travel convenience is likely a wash between those two.  Martinique is the only major island in the Caribbean where travel to the USA can be a headache. (three or four flights a week last I checked).  Although... I will add that short notice air travel all through the islands has recently gotten difficult to schedule or obscenely expensive.  Advance bookings not so much.

Antigua is more Caribbean, less European.  On St Martin I would also agree that the Dutch side is probably a better choice than the French for keeping the boat.  Although food shopping on the French side is a gourmet's delight. Seriously.  If you haven't been, it's almost worth the trip.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Port Louis, Grenada
http://www.cruisingconsulting.com

Courtney Gorman

Everyone thank you so much for the input!  It is awesome to have such an outstanding group of individuals as a resource.  Cheers!
Courtney
Trippin

[...]

Arno Luijten

Having lived there for 3.5 years (SXM) and having visited Antigua for a week I can definitely say SXM unless you want to participate in being (legally) robbed of all your funds by all the commerces there.
We found Antigua extremely expensive (on average the supermarkets are twice as expensive and half the quality). Obviously there are many more flights in and out of SXM. The fact that the Island hosts two nations also makes it much more diverse. It is very attractive to buy things in the States and have them send over.

All in all I don’t really find it a contest. Maybe Antigua has a little bit more nice coastal spots to anchor. But You can alway go there for a few weeks for that.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna
A54-121
Rotterdam, Netherlands

Eric Freedman

I would skip Puerto Rico for this season.

My cousin who lives on the west coast was without electric for 81 days after the last big hurricane.

The news is that PR is totally without electric.

When I was there 6 months after the hurricane there were still many roads blocked and many places without electric.

I like Sint Maarten the best of these Islands. There is not much to do in Antigua. Martinique is good but Sint Maarten has them beat by a mile when it comes to craftsmen and chandleries.

The restaurants are plentiful and nearby the marinas. NO Duty is a definite plus.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

🍻