Standing rigging

Denis Elborn

A simple question to the group.

Does anyone have the correct tension for the standing rigging on a 54?

Denis Elborn
S/V Fortune 54-159
On the hard in Preveza

Craig Briggs

Hi Denis,
You'll want 15% of breaking strength, which, of course, is dependent on the size of the stay. You can google it, or a tension meter usually has the reference numbers on it.  Or just make them "Amel tight".
--
Craig Briggs - s/v Sangaris / SN68  Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Martin Birkhoff

Hi Denis,

from Franck Chivée, La Rochelle, Greement, I got the numbers you can see in the sheet when he checked our rigging. Franck Chivée is rigger and very familiar with Amel and Amel rigs. Franck's figures are based on the values that Selden recommends.

If there are some doubts concering your rigging ask him.
You can contact Franck by e-mail: larochellegreement@...

Diameter

breaking load in kg

nominal tension 15/100 in kg

nominal tension
20/100 in kg

7 mm

4.050

607

810

8 mm

5.220

783

1.044

10 mm

7.900

1.185

1.580

12 mm

11.055

1.658

2.211

The numbers are for 1/19 wires.

Regards
Martin

SY Mago del Sur - 54#40
currently Marina di Ragusa, Sicily

Ian Park

Martin
Do you know if these figures apply to Santorin and SM as well as the 54?

Ian
Ocean Hobo SN96

Craig Briggs

Hi Ian,
Martin's figures are just the arithmetic for various wire sizes to get to 15% or to 20% of breaking strength, which, as he pointed out is what Selden recommends (15%). The 15% or 20% applies to all wire sizes and it doesn't matter what boat the wire is on. Do note that our SN's have some 6mm stays (marocain and artimon pataras) which has a 6351 pound breaking strength, so to be at 15%, the arithmetic gives you 950 pounds of tension.

You could certainly kick it up to the 20% figures Marin's guy Franck also shows to get to "Amel tight" although I've kept my mizzen backs at 15%. With new rigging you might want to go to the 20% initially to account for the stretch that will occur after some sailing. Nance and Underwood in Ft Lauderdale do an initial tune to 15%, btw. None of this is "rocket science".
--
Craig Briggs - s/v Sangaris / SN68  Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Martin Birkhoff

Hi Ian,
I fully agree with Craig.

You will find a lot of information worth to know here: https://support.seldenmast.com/files/595-540-E.pdf

Regards
Martin

SY Mago del Sur - 54#40
currently Marina di Ragusa, Sicily

Ian Park

Thanks guys. Having new rigging in the new new year. Just trying to get the rigger tuned in to Amel standard.

Ian

Ocean Hobo SN96