Topics

Standing rigging on 54

ngtnewington Newington

Further to the news that the Amel 54 should have 12mm aft lowers not 10mm and that the intermediates should be beefed up from 8mm to 10mm. I am now seriously working this out.
On the face of it I can order the replacement wire and fittings from ACMO in France and have it a week later. What worries me is that the pin sizes will increase (I guess)
This should be no problem at the bottom where there is a massive chainplate that I could drill out to accept the bigger pins but at the top at the spreader bases it will be tricky.
Has anyone been there and done this project?
What about sticking to 8mm and 10 mm but upgrading the wire quality to say Dyform? Dyform offers about 30% more strength than standard 1x19?
Any experts out there?
Nick
S/Y Amelia AML54-019
Anchored in Kefalonia enjoying easy living after 2000 mile voyage from Canary Islands.

ngtnewington Newington

Further to my email below, ACMO just sent me an email explaining that they provide a specially made product with the same pin sizes as the old so it is a case of just swapping the stays over.

Kind regards

Nick
Amelia 54-019

On 7 Jun 2019, at 07:26, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

James Alton

Nick,

Not an expert but I know that via many rerigging jobs that with Imperial sized wire end fittings that a range pins sizes will be available for a given wire size. I am not sure but suspect this will be the same with metric wire ends fittings you will be using. For instance Blue Wave lists two pin size options for their terminal eyes for 12mm wire. It would be good to check the strength of your clevis pins since there are a few options here in material and you will probably be using the smaller pin for the 12mm wire. When I rerigged and inspected my then 30 year old ACMO rigging on my Amel the clevis pins were the only parts that showed corrosion so I am giving some consideration to going with Titanium. The Titanium ups the strength quite a bit over stainless and Titanium does not have the corrosion issues that stainless does. My concern being whether this might cause galvanic corrosion in the stainless terminal ends, if anyone has an experience with these pins let me know. I know of a number of experienced sailors that use the Titanium and so far have not heard of any failures due to using this material for pins. I have always been curious about using the Dyform since it is smoother in form so reduces wind resistance a bit and is rated as being stronger but I don’t see it used on many boats.
I rerigged with ACMO since the original rigging seemed to be of such good quality. I like the wire and end fittings on the new rigging but not as happy with the supplied clevis pins which I will be replacing.

Best of luck,

James
SV Sueno, Maramu #220
Arbatax, Italy

On Jun 7, 2019, at 1:26 AM, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Mohammad Shirloo

Hello Nick;

We are currently going though the same process and we have just released the order to ACMO.

If ordered from ACMO, you will receive the entire parts required for the upgrade. This includes a “stronger” pin, as ACMO puts it, the turn buckles and threaded eye. I just again reconfirmed this with ACMO. If you look at your connections at the chain plates, the parts have an ACMO stamp on them.

Therefore according to ACMO, no other parts will be necessary, it is just a matter of removing the existing shrouds and installing new.

I will provide an update if we find anything that contradicts this during the install.

Respectfully;

Mohammad & Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099

On Jun 7, 2019, at 7:27 AM, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Thanks guys, it looks like if I order from ACMO then it is a straight swap. So that is what I will do.
I have thought hard about all this and at the end of the day I do not want to have that niggling feeling that my rigging is not up to it on a dark stormy night!
Nick

On 7 Jun 2019, at 11:42, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

[...]

tony wells

That’s good to know, thanks Nick

Welcome to Greece! I made your trip from the Canaries last year and haven’t left Greece yet! Incidentally, Sami harbour on the east of Kefalonia is currently without harbour master so berthing is free and good water is piped to manholes all along the mole. There’s a small chandler/hardware store in town.

Tony
A54 #102 Balthazar, anchored in Lakka (perhaps Greece’s equivalent to Marigot Bay, St Lucia!) (Paxos, Greece)

On 7 Jun 2019, at 10:30, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Looks like we have a few 54s in the Ionian.

FYI, we are flying Nicky from Malta to Corfu to replace our shrouds on or around June 24. If you feel the timing will work, I can talk to Nicky to schedule other replacements as well.

Respectfully;

Mohammad Shirloo
323-633-2222 Cell
310-454-3148 Fax

On Jun 7, 2019, at 12:19 PM, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Not sure exactly where we will be. I am happy to do the job myself thanks.
Nick
Amelia 54-019

On 7 Jun 2019, at 13:14, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:

[...]

Roque

Hi Nick

I just got my new rigging from ACMO and it is a straight swap.

That means the pin for the new 12mm wire, that replaces the current 10mm, is thinner than the others 12 mm wires pins. I  don’t know if they made them stronger.

You will also notice that since the new toggle  is bigger, some “filling” may be needed. See  pics.

Rgds

Roque
Attika A54 117
Paraty- Rio de Janeiro.

Em sex, 7 de jun de 2019 às 06:19, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> escreveu:

Thanks guys, it looks like if I order from ACMO then it is a straight swap. So that is what I will do.
I have thought hard about all this and at the end of the day I do not want to have that niggling feeling that my rigging is not up to it on a dark stormy night!
Nick
> On 7 Jun 2019, at 11:42, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:
>
> Hello Nick;
>
> We are currently going though the same process and we have just released the order to ACMO.
>
> If ordered from ACMO, you will receive the entire parts required for the upgrade. This includes a “stronger” pin, as ACMO puts it, the turn buckles and threaded eye. I just again reconfirmed this with ACMO. If you look at your connections at the chain plates, the parts have an ACMO stamp on them.
>
> Therefore according to ACMO, no other parts will be necessary, it is just a matter of removing the existing shrouds and installing new.
>
> I will provide an update if we find anything that contradicts this during the install.
>
> Respectfully;
>

> Mohammad & Aty
> B&B Kokomo
> Amel 54 #099
>
>> On Jun 7, 2019, at 7:27 AM, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>>

>> Further to the news that the Amel 54 should have 12mm aft lowers not 10mm and that the intermediates should be beefed up from 8mm to 10mm. I am now seriously working this out.
>> On the face of it I can order the replacement wire and fittings from ACMO in France and have it a week later. What worries me is that the pin sizes will increase (I guess)
>> This should be no problem at the bottom where there is a massive chainplate that I could drill out to accept the bigger pins but at the top at the spreader bases it will be tricky.
>> Has anyone been there and done this project?
>> What about sticking to 8mm and 10 mm but upgrading the wire quality to say Dyform? Dyform offers about 30% more strength than standard 1x19?
>> Any experts out there?
>> Nick
>> S/Y Amelia AML54-019
>> Anchored in Kefalonia enjoying easy living after 2000 mile voyage from Canary Islands.

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hi guys,
So u change only the reenfoced ones or all?
How much is the stays from ACMO?

OLIVER from Vela Nautica in Portugal

Sent from my Huawei Mobile

I just got my new rigging from ACMO and it is a straight swap.

That means the pin for the new 12mm wire, that replaces the current 10mm, is thinner than the others 12 mm wires pins. I  don’t know if they made them stronger.

You will also notice that since the new toggle  is bigger, some “filling” may be needed. See  pics.

Rgds

Roque
Attika A54 117
Paraty- Rio de Janeiro.

Em sex, 7 de jun de 2019 às 06:19, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> escreveu:
Thanks guys, it looks like if I order from ACMO then it is a straight swap. So that is what I will do.
I have thought hard about all this and at the end of the day I do not want to have that niggling feeling that my rigging is not up to it on a dark stormy night!
Nick
> On 7 Jun 2019, at 11:42, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:
>
> Hello Nick;
>
> We are currently going though the same process and we have just released the order to ACMO.
>
> If ordered from ACMO, you will receive the entire parts required for the upgrade. This includes a “stronger” pin, as ACMO puts it, the turn buckles and threaded eye. I just again reconfirmed this with ACMO. If you look at your connections at the chain plates, the parts have an ACMO stamp on them.
>
> Therefore according to ACMO, no other parts will be necessary, it is just a matter of removing the existing shrouds and installing new.
>
> I will provide an update if we find anything that contradicts this during the install.
>
> Respectfully;
>

> Mohammad & Aty
> B&B Kokomo
> Amel 54 #099
>
>> On Jun 7, 2019, at 7:27 AM, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
>>

>> Further to the news that the Amel 54 should have 12mm aft lowers not 10mm and that the intermediates should be beefed up from 8mm to 10mm. I am now seriously working this out.
>> On the face of it I can order the replacement wire and fittings from ACMO in France and have it a week later. What worries me is that the pin sizes will increase (I guess)
>> This should be no problem at the bottom where there is a massive chainplate that I could drill out to accept the bigger pins but at the top at the spreader bases it will be tricky.
>> Has anyone been there and done this project?
>> What about sticking to 8mm and 10 mm but upgrading the wire quality to say Dyform? Dyform offers about 30% more strength than standard 1x19?
>> Any experts out there?
>> Nick
>> S/Y Amelia AML54-019
>> Anchored in Kefalonia enjoying easy living after 2000 mile voyage from Canary Islands.

Roque

Oliver

I am replacing all standing rigging, including turnbuckles. They are from 2009.

Regarding price, you can call Laetitia Boudon from ACMO ( laetitia@...  )  and get a quote for your model and hull number.

By the way, we usually sign our e-mails here with Amel model, hull number and location. It is easier for the fellow owners to help us out.

Rgds

Roque
Attika. A54 - 117
Santos - Brazil

Porter McRoberts

Dear Mohammad and Aty

Would you be willing to let me or us know the cost from ACMO?
This seems very tempting to do myself? Then have a rigger double check. A lot of work, yes but interesting and tempting!

Many thanks.

Porter

S/V IBIS 54-152
Tahiti.

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone
Www.fouribis.com

On Jun 6, 2019, at 11:19 PM, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Porter,

OPINION FOLLOWS:

There is a severe shortage of riggers in Tahiti; only 2 at last visit.  If you need a good one, I can offer Benoit Parnaudeau (+68987333956). (He captained a Vendee Globe solo racer and was the rigger for a famous Fr woman racer…name forgotten) The other rigger is even more expensive but also good!!!

I’d try to do it myself in Tahiti as their prices are INSANE.

IF you can wait, get it done in NZ; Opua, in the Bay of Islands is a great place and has all the services in situ, including the best chandler I’ve seen anywhere in the world (Cater Marine).  (The conditions should be fairly benign from Tahiti to Tonga then NZ)

Greetings from Matt/Molly/Lily/Henry/Avery in Nimbus docked near us in Savusavu, Fiji

Good luck

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM 007, Fiji.

On Jun 7, 2019, at 7:27 AM, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

[...]

JPG!
Many thanks for the advice and thoughts.
Very appreciated. We’re in fine shape to make it to New Zealand I think. Just looking ahead to the anticipated desire to get it done. So no pressure to do it here in Tahiti thank goodness. NZ seems like the place. But we’re considering also the potential hurricane pit in Fiji as a off season storage location. NZ is as enticing as the voyage there is off putting/crapshoot. As they say nothing points to weather like a 767.

Nimbus is captained by a man of iron! His crew of iron stomachs!  Please say hello to them. Your comments are quite welcome.

Thanks again JPG

Porter
Ibis A54-152
Tahiti

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Jun 10, 2019, at 11:15 AM, Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> wrote:

[...]

Voyage to NZ from Tonga is not difficult. Weather window is key. The cost of rerig will be far cheaper in NZ!

We did the passage in 12 days with 6 days in North Minerva… we were supposed to catch loads of lobsters there… “they’ll jump aboard your dinghy” not so. :-)

I’ll pass your regards to Nimbus.

Cheers,

JPG

On 7 Jun 2019, at 16:26, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Thete used to be loads of lobster at minerva untill it became a cruisers favoured stop and they raped the resource.

Danny

On 7 Jun 2019, at 16:26, ngtnewington Newington via Groups.Io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

[...]

Hello Porter;

I hope you guys are doing well and the engine issues are now behind you.

We are replacing all 6 shrouds at the main because ACMO had a crack in one of the original long shrouds that we found in our rig inspection last year.

They did extend a 10% discount because of this so the total shipped to Corfu was 5000 euros.

Off course you only need to upgrade the mid and lower shrouds so your pricing will be less. I did receive a complete quote for all rigging that I will forward to you shortly.

I, like you, try to do everything I can myself, which is about 90%. It’s better to make a mistake and learn while help is available. However, the cruising season in the Med is short so I do elect to use known outside people if necessary so we get to enjoy the season.

The rigging is definitely one of them, at this point, for us. So I’m flying Ricky from Malta to Corfu for 2 days to take care of the shrouds and some lighting and wind cane issues.

Enjoy Tahiti. We chartered there in 2008 and had a great time.

Mohammad & Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099

On Jun 10, 2019, at 10:08 PM, Porter McRoberts via Groups.Io <portermcroberts=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

I had a few cracked wires at the main too (#117). I reported this fact to ACMO in november 2018.
  Would you care to tell when you informed ACMO about this failure? Was it last year?

Thank you for you input.

Roque
Attika A54 - 117
Santos - Brazil

Em ter, 11 de jun de 2019 às 07:32, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> escreveu:

> [...]

>> Nick
>>> On 7 Jun 2019, at 11:42, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Nick;
>>>
>>> We are currently going though the same process and we have just released the order to ACMO.
>>>
>>> If ordered from ACMO, you will receive the entire parts required for the upgrade. This includes a “stronger” pin, as ACMO puts it, the turn buckles and threaded eye. I just again reconfirmed this with ACMO. If you look at your connections at the chain plates, the parts have an ACMO stamp on them.
>>>
>>> Therefore according to ACMO, no other parts will be necessary, it is just a matter of removing the existing shrouds and installing new.
>>>
>>> I will provide an update if we find anything that contradicts this during the install.

Hi Roque;

The crack that we found was in the swagging and not in the wires. It was not considered a failure by either ACMO or our rigger. ACMO did acknowledge that at the time our rigging was swagged, they had an older machine that led to the crack and we were advised to simply keep an eye on it to make sure it does not get any bigger. The assumption was that the crack was there from day one.

However since we were going to upgrade the rest of the shrouds at the main, we decided to take care of this also so we don it have any questionable or potentially weak areas at the main.

We informed ACMO of the crack last month.

Mohammad & Aty
B&B Kokomo
Amel 54 #099

On Jun 11, 2019, at 3:44 PM, Roque via Groups.Io <ediroque@...> wrote:

> [...]

>> Nick
>>> On 7 Jun 2019, at 11:42, Mohammad Shirloo <mshirloo@...> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello Nick;
>>>
>>> We are currently going though the same process and we have just released the order to ACMO.
>>>
>>> If ordered from ACMO, you will receive the entire parts required for the upgrade. This includes a “stronger” pin, as ACMO puts it, the turn buckles and threaded eye. I just again reconfirmed this with ACMO. If you look at your connections at the chain plates, the parts have an ACMO stamp on them.
>>>
>>> Therefore according to ACMO, no other parts will be necessary, it is just a matter of removing the existing shrouds and installing new.
>>>
>>> I will provide an update if we find anything that contradicts this during the install.

"Nicky" from Malta is what you meant to say. I always recommend Nicky Samut in Malta for any Med rigging issues. I suspect that Nicky has a lot of air miles. During the winter season he will be in Sicily at least 2 weeks working on rigging. He has also upgraded Bamar furlers. And, Nicky is a Yacht School Preferred Vendor, the only rigger in Europe selected as a rigging Preferred Vendor.

Contact: nickysail"at"hotmail.com. BTW, Nicky has sailed/crewed on most all Amel models, including a 64.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Yacht School - Supporting Amel Owners
www.YachtSchool.us