Topics

Starting Capacitor size for a 220v, 50Hz 2.5 kw water maker high pressure motor

Jose Venegas

The water maker high-pressure pump motor is not starting and breaking the AC circuits of shore power and Onan Generator.  It is a LeRoy motor. I have checked for a short circuit and seems OK. (1-ohm resistance between poles and 12.5 Khoms from pole to the earth)  The starting motor capacitor specs are not visible.  I measured  48 micro F, which seems small for the motor size.  Does anybody know if that is the proper size?  The motor makes a very short humming sound before the AC circuits jump.  Before I remove the motor and proceed with major surgery, I would like to know if the capacitor is the proper one or has failed.

Thanks in advance

Jose Venegas
Ipanema SM2000  278
Currently grounded in Grenada awaiting for the opening of Colombian ports to proceed.

Jose,

This probably is not what you are looking for, but....here you go.

This is the 220 volt motor for the Dessalator 150/160 liter water maker, but maybe newer than you SM.
image.png

If that is yours, this may help:
image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 1:42 PM Jose Venegas via groups.io <josegvenegas=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
The water maker high-pressure pump motor is not starting and breaking the AC circuits of shore power and Onan Generator.  It is a LeRoy motor. I have checked for a short circuit and seems OK. (1-ohm resistance between poles and 12.5 Khoms from pole to the earth)  The starting motor capacitor specs are not visible.  I measured  48 micro F, which seems small for the motor size.  Does anybody know if that is the proper size?  The motor makes a very short humming sound before the AC circuits jump.  Before I remove the motor and proceed with major surgery, I would like to know if the capacitor is the proper one or has failed.

Thanks in advance

Jose Venegas
Ipanema SM2000  278
Currently grounded in Grenada awaiting for the opening of Colombian ports to proceed.

Jose Venegas

Thank you BIll,
It looks almost identical but mine has a single capacitor with 54 micro F.  Yours has 2 of 30 mF in parallel (60 mF). is the m for micro of mili?  If it is micro, it is bad news for me because it would mean that my capacitor is OK and the motor is dead.  If it is mil, then my capacitor needs to be replaced.

Jose
SM2K 278

Sorry about that.  It is actually µF

On Fri, May 22, 2020 at 2:14 PM Jose Venegas via groups.io <josegvenegas=icloud.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thank you BIll,
It looks almost identical but mine has a single capacitor with 54 micro F.  Yours has 2 of 30 mF in parallel (60 mF). is the m for micro of mili?  If it is micro, it is bad news for me because it would mean that my capacitor is OK and the motor is dead.  If it is mil, then my capacitor needs to be replaced.

Jose
SM2K 278

Mark & Debbie Mueller

The 48 mfd you measured is approximately 20% below the specified value for that motor.  Industry standards say a 10% deviation is OK.  I would not discount the capacitor as the culprit.  Also, try and rotate the motor from the cooling fan end by hand to see if the motor or pump is locked up – verify the power is off.  Good Luck.

--
Mark Mueller
Brass Ring  A54

Jose Venegas

After major surgery getting the motor/pump out of the engine room (there was no way I could get the back cover out) I found that after turning the motor by hand IT IS WORKING YEEEA!.
So, Mark you were correct. Now I need to get the motor do some excessive (we all s would do that during this COVID19 time) and I will be getting a newer (larger) capacitor next Monday. As usual, fixing one problem on an old boat usually means you break more part. In my case, the low pressure water inlet fitting to the pump broke in peaces when I tried to remove the hose. So, now I have a piece if the fitting inside the pump that I have to remove with a 1/2 in extractor that I have to buy on Monday together with a new fitting. Well that is the way it is, and I am very happy I don’t have to buy a new motor. (at least I hope so). Tomorrow I will know after I make it exercise for a couple of hours.)

Thank you Mark and Amel Group.

Jose and Magnolia
Ipanema SM2k, 278
Happily stuck in Grenada for another month

Jose Venegas

Unfortunately, the exercise did not go well and, in spite of having proper oil in the system and water circling around, after a few minutes there was a change in sound accompanied by smoke and, after immediately turning off the power the motor seized.  So it seems that this is the end of the road for this motor.   After opening the motor I noticed some burnt wires (those holding the electric wiring)  and realized that the high-pressure pump bearing was shared by the motor, which means I cannot take the motor alone to a shop for possible repair but will have to be the full assembly.
My question is whether anyone has had the motor/high-pressure pump repaired, and, if so, whether anybody knows a good shop in Grenada.
Alternatively, given the 20 years of age of the water maker, I would appreciate a contact on the island that could help me fix the problem.

Thanks a lot in advance

Jose and Magnolia
Ipanema SM2k, 278
Happily stuck in Grenada for at least another month

Paul Dowd and Sharon Brown

Hi Jose,

We met at the sailing club at Phare Bleu. You need to speak to Stuart, contact him on Iguana on VHF 68.

Cheers,

Paul

S/Y Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98 - Grenada

[...]

Ya Fohi - Amel 54 #98