Steering cables

Ben Levy

Hi everyone,
Can anyone explain to me how to tighten the steering cables in my maramu? I understand that the metal flaps need to be lifted in order for the nuts to be able to turn but what then? What part turns, by how much? And how do I know it is tight enough? (the surveyor wrote in his report that they needed tightening).

Cheers
Ben
M #98

James Alton

Ben,

   Here are the instructions that Oliver B. kindly provided me.

Best,

James Alton
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

The reason for reducing the slack in the cables (in fact in the cables sheaths) is to reduce the work of the autopilot. With too much slack, the auto-pilot, every time it needs to adjust the course, needs to turn until the boat really shifts course, and the first movements are done for nothing. Same, when it adjusts the course the other way (or to stabilize the new course).
To know about "how much" play there is, you should be two people. One is turning the wheel for 1/4 of a turn, then very slowly turns the other way. The other person is in the aft cabin, watching the quadrant. He should be pointing at the quadrant with the tip of a screw driver.
When the helmsman starts to turn the wheel the other way, he needs to tell the other person. When the quadrant man sees the quadrant moving, he needs to say "STOP!". The helmsman can now assess how much he turned the wheel until the quadrant moves.
A reasonable slack is 5cm on the wheel circumference. More than 10cm is definitely too much and the cables sheaths need to be tightened.
When the boat is out of the water, it's easier to check this slack by gently shaking the rudder blade side to side. More than 1cm movement is too much.

To adjust the sheaths tension, in the aft cabin, release the locking washers of both sheaths and release the nuts. Mark the tubes with a screw driver or permanent marker (to know how much you will turn). Turn the threaded tubes of 1 turn each (clockwise when you look towards portside) if the slack is from 10 to 15cm on the wheel. For each 10cm more, turn each tube of half a turn.

Can anyone explain to me how to tighten the steering cables in my maramu? I understand that the metal flaps need to be lifted in order for the nuts to be able to turn but what then? What part turns, by how much? And how do I know it is tight enough? (the surveyor wrote in his report that they needed tightening).

Cheers
Ben
M #98

Ben Levy

Thank you James, that was helpful. However in my case, once the nuts were lose, the tube didn't turn (and could not turn as it was twisting the entire cable plastic case) it slid backwards or forwards, which actually makes sense.
Cheers
Ben