Topics

Stern tube hose

Arlo

Hello all. I am looking for a source for 54mm stern tube hose for my stuffing box on my 1985 mango. 54 mm is equal to 2 1/8 inches. Preferably a U.S. supplier as we are located in the US and need it next week. None of my normal resources can get it. :(

Matt Salatino

I did a quick search and found one in the US:

On Dec 12, 2019, at 3:33 PM, Arlo <svplanb@...> wrote:

Hello all. I am looking for a source for 54mm stern tube hose for my stuffing box on my 1985 mango. 54 mm is equal to 2 1/8 inches. Preferably a U.S. supplier as we are located in the US and need it next week. None of my normal resources can get it. :(

Arlo

Thanks Matt. I will give them a call tomorrow...

Danny Rico <danny.rico@...>

Amazonhose.com. it’s in north miami.

Arlo

Hey there Danny. I called them today and they dont have any 4 or 5 ply in stock of that size...they are doing some research for me. Great place as I have bought hose there before and appreciate the reminder!

James Alton

Arlo,

   I was wondering how you were measuring the OD on your stuffing box and stern tube?  I have always sized my hose to the root or the base/pipe OD of the fitting which does not include the barbs.    The hose without wire (even the thick BA hose) is pretty soft and will pretty  easily stretch to fit over the barbs if it is sized to fit the base “pipe” OD of the fittings.  The Buck Algonquin 5 ply Packing Gland  hose should be available in a size to fit your stuffing box.  2”, 2 1/4”, 2 3/8” etc.  see link below.  There used to be a number of suppliers in the US, should still be some.  If you get stuck let me know and I will do some research if you want to use this type of hose.

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Dec 14, 2019, at 12:21 AM, Arlo <svplanb@...> wrote:

Hey there Danny. I called them today and they dont have any 4 or 5 ply in stock of that size...they are doing some research for me. Great place as I have bought hose there before and appreciate the reminder!

Arlo

Hello James. The measurements I took are right at the end of the hose on the stern tube where the hose stops once fully seated. Same on the stuffing box, so the barbs if any are not included. We are hauling out today and will start the dissembling process tomorrow and I will take the stuffing box to the local prop shop in hopes that they have some of the Buck Alog. Hoses. I will also call Buck Alog. on Monday to see what they think as well. The Tides hose I recieved yesterday seemed more flexible than I was expecting  so the jury is still out on the use of that hose...I may ping you tomorrow if I come up empty. I really appreciate the help.
Arlo

James Alton

Arlo,
  Sorry to hear that the hose you ordered seems to be too flexible.  Jamestown Distributors (Rhode Island) appears from the website to have the Algonquin hose in stock though not your exact size.  The hose is only about $15 per pc. So maybe it would be worth getting a size above and below your messurement to see what fits the best.  I replaced the hose on Sueno with the Algonquin hose this year and found the hose to be pretty soft so it should stretch some or compress some.  I should have other sources if Jamestown can't help you.  You are welcome to send me an email if you prefer.   Best of luck.

James
SV Sueno
Maramu #220

On Dec. 15, 2019 10:14 a.m., Arlo <svplanb@...> wrote:
Hello James. The measurements I took are right at the end of the hose on the stern tube where the hose stops once fully seated. Same on the stuffing box, so the barbs if any are not included. We are hauling out today and will start the dissembling process tomorrow and I will take the stuffing box to the local prop shop in hopes that they have some of the Buck Alog. Hoses. I will also call Buck Alog. on Monday to see what they think as well. The Tides hose I recieved yesterday seemed more flexible than I was expecting  so the jury is still out on the use of that hose...I may ping you tomorrow if I come up empty. I really appreciate the help.
Arlo

Arlo

Thanks James. I went by the local prop shop today and they have the 2 and 2 and 1/4 size so I am going to grab one of each and see what might work....I may end up with a Las Gen2 if my prop shatt is in good shape and I dont find a good solution to the hose issue... stay tuned.... :)

Matt Salatino

We had the Lasdrop GenII on our last boat. 8 years, and at 7 years only needed a $16 lip seal kit. No big leak, but a minor drip. We bought one for our new Amel 50.

On Mon, Dec 16, 2019 at 11:23 AM, Arlo
<svplanb@...> wrote:
Thanks James. I went by the local prop shop today and they have the 2 and 2 and 1/4 size so I am going to grab one of each and see what might work....I may end up with a Las Gen2 if my prop shatt is in good shape and I dont find a good solution to the hose issue... stay tuned.... :)

Arlo

Thats a great track record. I looked at one today at the prop shop and liked the engineering on it. Once I see what kind of shape my bronze shaft is in I will know what direction. Was your drive shaft bronze or stainless ?

Matt Salatino

Mine was stainless.
The neat thing, is Lasdrop will cut your hose to a customer length, a bit longer, or shorter. This way, you can locate the shaft-seal forward or back a bit, to insure a clean shaft area where the lip seals make contact.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Dec 16, 2019, at 9:45 PM, Arlo <svplanb@...> wrote:

Thats a great track record. I looked at one today at the prop shop and liked the engineering on it. Once I see what kind of shape my bronze shaft is in I will know what direction. Was your drive shaft bronze or stainless ?

Matt Salatino

Custom length, not customer

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Dec 16, 2019, at 10:01 PM, Matt Salatino via Groups.Io <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

Mine was stainless.
The neat thing, is Lasdrop will cut your hose to a customer length, a bit longer, or shorter. This way, you can locate the shaft-seal forward or back a bit, to insure a clean shaft area where the lip seals make contact.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Dec 16, 2019, at 9:45 PM, Arlo <svplanb@...> wrote:

Thats a great track record. I looked at one today at the prop shop and liked the engineering on it. Once I see what kind of shape my bronze shaft is in I will know what direction. Was your drive shaft bronze or stainless ?

Wade Shikoski

Arlo,
i am guessing that the 2 1/4 will work. I purchased that size from JD but have not tried to install it yet.
What I do know is that when I tried to install the 2 1/8” exhaust hose previously I had to use a jack placed between trans coupler and the end of packing gland (with wood protection) in order to get the hose to seat completely onto the dead log. I couldn’t install just by hand.
I very much doubt that the 2” id hose will work. Pls keep me informed as I doubt I will get to the replacement from exhaust hose to the other this weekend. Too many other tasks.
Thanks
wade

Arlo

Hello all.....well we did the haulout on Sunday and had the mechanic come by on Tuesday and pull the prop, prop shaft and cutlass bearing. As it turns out the bronze drive  shaft was significantly worn (really deep grooves) where the original stuffing box was located. This coupled with the fact that the Tides silicon hose just didnt make me feel comfortable I decided to get a new stainless drive shaft. I have also decided to proceed with the Lasdrop gen II dripless shaft seal. Everything should be done by early January. I am also taking the opportunity to have the drive shaft alternator rebuilt, replace the alternator belt and get a spare on the shaft and clean and paint the bilge...if anyone does solve the shaft tube hose issue, I am still interested in how and this group would be a great place to post it for the benefit of others...I appreciate everyone's help. Will post pics and cost when the job is done.