Storage Hatch gaskets

Patrick McAneny

I would like to replace the gaskets on all the storage hatches ,they are compressed and leaking somewhat. Does anyone know the dimensions and a source in the US. to buy them. I wonder if they have an adhesive backing or applied with contact cement, a backing would be less messy and easier.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Pat,

They are "D Profile: and 25mm, or 1" I think the following will work for you:

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 2:37 PM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I would like to replace the gaskets on all the storage hatches ,they are compressed and leaking somewhat. Does anyone know the dimensions and a source in the US. to buy them. I wonder if they have an adhesive backing or applied with contact cement, a backing would be less messy and easier.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Patrick McAneny

Bill, That is great ,I will order that very soon ,hope you and Judy are well. You get up this way ,we have a berth for ya.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

They are "D Profile: and 25mm, or 1" I think the following will work for you:

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 2:37 PM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I would like to replace the gaskets on all the storage hatches ,they are compressed and leaking somewhat. Does anyone know the dimensions and a source in the US. to buy them. I wonder if they have an adhesive backing or applied with contact cement, a backing would be less messy and easier.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Aras Grinius

McMaster Carr also sells gasket material.  3M sells adhesive. You can get that from amazon.
Aras
Sharki #163

--
Aras Grinius

Mark McGovern

Pat,

A few people on this forum have reported having good results using the following product:

Clean Seal, Inc.
Part #: 342HATS-100; D-section 342 with Adhesive, 100 feet
Price:  $2.092/foot

The company is located in the USA.  Contact information:
(800) 366-3682
www.cleanseal.com
cleanseal@...

I purchased 100 feet in order to redo all of the hatch seals but I have not yet used it so I cannot vouch for it's effectiveness.  The company was very easy to deal with and even sent me free samples to check it out before buying.

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Patrick McAneny

Bill ,Just want to double check the size of the gasket. I had a look at mine and they are 1" wide ,but where they are not depressed ,at the edges they appear to only be about 1/2" in height and in the center that bears the weight they are depressed down to about  a 1/4" ,maybe 3/8' . I just wanted to make sure that they might not have been 1/2 or 3/4" in height originally .
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

They are "D Profile: and 25mm, or 1" I think the following will work for you:

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 2:37 PM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I would like to replace the gaskets on all the storage hatches ,they are compressed and leaking somewhat. Does anyone know the dimensions and a source in the US. to buy them. I wonder if they have an adhesive backing or applied with contact cement, a backing would be less messy and easier.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Pat,

I really like what Amel is currently using on the Amel 50. It's the best thing I've seen. Photo attached.

I am training a crew the week on a brand new 50. It is an amazing Amel.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Wed, Jun 16, 2021, 7:56 PM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Bill, That gasket looks like it would really provide a good seal. My concern about the height of the gasket was concerning the gasket on the hinge side of a hatch. While closing the hatch it would seem that if the gasket was too high ,that the side of the gasket would first come into contact with the frame as you close it, dislodging the gasket as there is only a fraction of an inch space when closed ,between the hatch and frame. That is why I wanted confirmation that it is 1" in height before ordering it.
Enjoy your time on the 50 ,I am sure it is fun to sail and points well.
Pat
SM Shenanigans
Sassafras River, Md.

They are "D Profile: and 25mm, or 1" I think the following will work for you:

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Fri, Jun 11, 2021 at 2:37 PM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I would like to replace the gaskets on all the storage hatches ,they are compressed and leaking somewhat. Does anyone know the dimensions and a source in the US. to buy them. I wonder if they have an adhesive backing or applied with contact cement, a backing would be less messy and easier.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Randall Walker

Hello Bill,
Do you think these seals on the 50 would be usable on my 54 ? I know some seals come in a roll and others are custom moulded. Thanks

Randall
A54#56
Grenada

On Thu, Jun 17, 2021 at 17:05 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
[...]

Compression set and set memory were the biggest issues with the D profile gasket I bought to replace the original gasket, and the original had the same issue, except it didn't happen as quickly as the replacement.

My guess is the foam density was the issue, with the Amel OEM being denser.

Knowing what I know, and  based on my experience with the OEM and a US substitute, I believe I would go with the new gasket used on the Amel 50 and source it from Amel.

On Fri, Jun 18, 2021, 8:41 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Yes, I believe they will work on a SM, 54, or 55 but to be 100% sure order a small amount or a sample from SAV@...

Bill