Topics

Storm tactics

Jacob Champness

Oh, I see that you addressed that further down. 

Has anyone here added the additional chainplates?  The Maramu has what looks to be a very sturdy and unused pair of chainplates, which I understand is used to hoist each hull into a test tank before launching. (Not sure if the Super Maramu has that as well)   I was thinking that would be a good attachment point, but it leaves the question of how to run the legs of the bridle back to the transom and overboard without chafing.  I'd appreciate any thoughts...

Thanks!
Jacob
Lark, Maramu #42
Mistake Island, Maine

eric freedman

From day one, I have been against sea anchors. Being that they are launched from the bow , you are basically going backwards or standing still.

I was always concerned about the forces on the rudder vs going down wind on a drogue.

Most of them are also a pain to retrieve.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Peter Forbes
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 12:48 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Storm tactics

Thank s Brian - good luck choosing!

Peter

Peter Forbes

0044 7836 209730

Carango  Sailing Ketch

Amel 54 #035

In La Rochelle

On 7 Aug 2019, at 17:37, Brian Riggs <7briggs@...> wrote:

Peter,

I've been doing more research on this...again. I used to own a 27' off-shore center console power cat with a ParaTech sea Anchor. That's very different from say an Amel Santorin. I'm currently leaning towards a JDS if budget and space require me to choose. Otherwise, I'd have both and be prepared for both. However, I expect my first inclination would be to reach for the JDS.

This link provides a good, although sometimes heated, discussion. I think there is a good deal of value that can be learned for this.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f90/jordan-series-drogue-vs-paratech-sea-anchor-42662.html

Cheers!
Brian Riggs
Future Amel Owner

eric freedman

http://www.oceannavigator.com/March-April-2011/Prepare-for-survival-conditions/

Hi Jacob,

Yes I have been in a hurricane on the drogue.

Please see above.

When I had kimberlite built I had the stern cleats super reinforced.

In an existing installation I would change out the cleats for heavy forged stainless ones and add a big piece of backing.

Fair Winds

Eric

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jacob Champness
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 6:31 PM

Hey Eric-- 
Did you add chain plates to attach the drogue?  If not, where and how do you attach it?  Have you ever had to use it?
Thanks,
Jacob
Lark, Maramu #42
Mistake Island, Maine

Jacob Champness

Thanks.  Very interesting article!

Jacob Champness

How did you have the drogue attached when you had that experience?  I'm trying to envision how the mizzen shrouds would be involved. 

eric freedman

Yes- the drogue was attached as per the article. That time unfortunately was not the first time were in near hurricane/ hurricane force winds

and had the JSD out.  We had it out for over 30 hours.

The drogue’s bridle when attached to the cleats falls between the mizzen backstays.

If I were to run the bridle outside of the backstays I was worried that I would lose the SSB antenna.

Fair Winds

Eric

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Jacob Champness
Sent: Wednesday, August 07, 2019 9:06 PM

How did you have the drogue attached when you had that experience?  I'm trying to envision how the mizzen shrouds would be involved.