Stuck mainsail swivel

Gregory Shea

Hello all,
Both Dieter Busch and I have the same problem with a frozen mainsail swivel on our Sharkis from1986. Two years of inactivity have taken their toll. We both have manual roller furling and there is no way to extract the swivel from the mast without lifting the spar. So, we are trying to free them with water and WD40 while the swivel is still inside the sail tube.
Frozen swivels are not new so I was wondering if other owners who encountered the problem managed to solve it without extracting the swivel from the mast. Mine is locked solid and the manual furling mechanism is not robust enough to apply much force. I need to be working directly on the swivel but grabbing hold of it has me stymied.
Any suggestions or experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Greg Shea
Sharki 133, Kilada, Greece

Beaute Olivier

Hello Greg,

I answered already Dieter about this a few weeks ago. You probably have a horseshoe mast NIRVANA type.
Your swivel may be OK but the tube, which on this manual furler, is held by a needle bearing at mast top, needs to be released.
I woulsd suggest that you climb to the very top of the mast and pour WD40 or equivalent CX to ease off the bearing.

Try to make pictures of the mast top from above.

Good luck.

Olivier

On Saturday, August 21, 2021, 05:12:26 PM GMT+2, Gregory Shea <gmshea@...> wrote:

[...]

Olivier,
Here is a photo of the swivel inside the mast. Is this the Nirvana horseshoe you mention? I thought that the Nirvana mast was used on the next generation of electric furlers and what Dieter and I have are Amel masts. But maybe I am mistaken.
My challenge is to turn the two parts of the swivel while they are still inside the mast. From other postings on the forum, lots of water and WD40 plus moving the two parts backwards and forwards should free it up. I was wondering if anyone had done this without taking the swivel out of the mast? If they did, how did they grasp the two pieces to work them against each other?

Greg Shea
Sharki 133 Cap des Iles
Kilada

image1.jpeg

On Aug 21, 2021, at 7:43 PM, Beaute Olivier via groups.io <atlanticyachtsurvey@...> wrote:

[...]

I understand the tube is free to turn (although it can turn by only 2cm because of the frozen swivel and the bolt at the top of it).
If you cannot release the swivel with WD40, you will probably need to take the mast down...
Is this the mizzen mast on your picture? Are both swivels frozen (main and mizzen)?

Olivier

On Sunday, August 22, 2021, 08:45:36 AM GMT+2, Gregory Shea <gmshea@...> wrote:

[...]

That is the mizzen swivel but our problems are just with the main and, you are right, you can only turn the swivel 15 or 20 degrees if the bolt is in place.
The real complication is that, in my case, the two sections of the swivel are frozen about 70 degrees apart. So, whichever one you align with the slot in the mast, the other one is 70 degrees inside the mast tube.
Dieter and I are working on a way to twist one against the other, despite the angle problem, without damaging the top of the  swivel or the luff groove in the foil. We don’t want to make things worse.
Can you disassemble these early model swivels? I see some small screws on the outside of the top part.

Greg

On Aug 22, 2021, at 11:17 AM, Beaute Olivier via groups.io <atlanticyachtsurvey@...> wrote:

[...]

Dom Cigale

Hello,
I had the same problem 2 years ago. I had managed to unlock it by pouring boiling water on the swivel. Unfortunately the solution is only temporary, if the reel is not used regularly it tends to harden because it is the rings which have swelled.
Dominique
Sharki 125

Gregory Shea

Don,
What a great idea. Thanks

Greg
Cap des Iles

On Aug 23, 2021, at 10:12 AM, Dom Cigale <cigale@...> wrote:

Hello,
I had the same problem 2 years ago. I had managed to unlock it by pouring boiling water on the swivel. Unfortunately the solution is only temporary, if the reel is not used regularly it tends to harden because it is the rings which have swelled.
Dominique
Sharki 125

Gregory Shea

Dom,
Sorry spell check renamed you.
I’m not at the boat, but still in Greece, so
I’m working on someone to deliver the dose of boiling water.

Greg Shea

On Aug 23, 2021, at 2:49 PM, Gregory Shea <gmshea@...> wrote:

Don,
What a great idea. Thanks

Greg
Cap des Iles

On Aug 23, 2021, at 10:12 AM, Dom Cigale <cigale@...> wrote:

Hello,
I had the same problem 2 years ago. I had managed to unlock it by pouring boiling water on the swivel. Unfortunately the solution is only temporary, if the reel is not used regularly it tends to harden because it is the rings which have swelled.
Dominique
Sharki 125

Dom Cigale

No problem. Always happy to be able to share between owners of sharki. I hope it works for you...

INUS - BUSCH

Dom,
thanks for your contribution, I will try also with boiling water first.
Dieter

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Dom Cigale

Do not hesitate to renew the work several times.
Good luck
Dominique

Gregory Shea

Dom,
Do you think it would be OK to use an electric heat gun to warm up the swivel?
Not on full power and carefully. I’m thinking of trying to make it easier for the boiling water.
Do you know if the bearings are held in place with metal or plastic frames?

Greg
Sharki 133 Cap des Iles
Kilada

On Aug 24, 2021, at 10:39 AM, Dom Cigale <cigale@...> wrote:

Do not hesitate to renew the work several times.
Good luck
Dominique

INUS - BUSCH

Greg,

I disassembled the genoa swivel I had as a spare part. There are two nylon rings in contact with the moving inner part
of aluminium. To my understanding these two rings cause the main friction while furling, not the ball bearing or the seal rings.
I have sent a word doc with drawings and fotos directely to you.

All the best

Dieter

Sharki #135

Dom Cigale

Hello,
I confirm what Dieter says about nylon rings.
Why not with a heat gun, but a kettle is easy to use.
Is the sail still in the mast?

Gregory Shea

Dom,
The sail is out of the mast and I’m going to use all three; heat, WD40 and boiling water.
How did you twist the outer and the inner so they came free as you poured the boiling water in?

Greg
Sharki 133 Cap des Iles

On Aug 25, 2021, at 11:24 PM, Dom Cigale <cigale@...> wrote:

Hello,
I confirm what Dieter says about nylon rings.
Why not with a heat gun, but a kettle is easy to use.
Is the sail still in the mast?

Dom Cigale

Ok, when the swivel is at the bottom it's easy to work. At the same time as you pour the boiling water, try to turn the reel with the winch handle in one direction then in the other. Repeat the operation several times if necessary, it should unblock suddenly. I hope it will work...
Dom

INUS - BUSCH

Bill,

thanks, attached is my drawing.