Topics

Super Maramu Ballooner halyard hook

James Cromie

Hello everyone -
I would like to ask if anyone can recommend a US source for a replacement plastic ballooner halyard hook (for hoisting).  This would be for a Super Maramu 2000.
Alternatively, I'll contact Sav.amel.

Thank you!

James C
Soteria SM2K 347
Petersburg, AK

Craig Briggs

Hi James,
This is clearly not a standard part that can be sourced in the US, but just take your lowering mouse to any machine shop and have them make an identical one out of delrin, but with a notch to engage the latch. Should be easy peasy and inexpensive. Let me know if you want actual dimensions for the notch and I'll be happy to measure mine.
Cheers, Craig -- SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

After breaking two I had one made in aluminium.

Regards

Danny

SM 299\Ocean Pearl

Mangonui

New Zealand

On 02 September 2020 at 12:14 "James Cromie via groups.io" <jamescromie@...> wrote:

Hello everyone -
I would like to ask if anyone can recommend a US source for a replacement plastic ballooner halyard hook (for hoisting).  This would be for a Super Maramu 2000.
Alternatively, I'll contact Sav.amel.

Thank you!

James C
Soteria SM2K 347
Petersburg, AK

Paul Osterberg

Isn't that the idea to break the hook and not destroy the profile?
Paul on sykerpa SM 259

Danny, good idea!
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On 02 September 2020 at 12:14 "James Cromie via groups.io" <jamescromie=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello everyone -
I would like to ask if anyone can recommend a US source for a replacement plastic ballooner halyard hook (for hoisting).  This would be for a Super Maramu 2000.
Alternatively, I'll contact Sav.amel.

Thank you!

James C
Soteria SM2K 347
Petersburg, AK

Paul, perfect comment!

Danny, I would recommend the use aluminum because of the risk to the foil if you make a mistake...Paul is correct.

On Wed, Sep 2, 2020 at 7:03 AM Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:
Isn't that the idea to break the hook and not destroy the profile?
Paul on sykerpa SM 259

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Paul,

I dont know if that is the case but now my hook is alloy it doesnt break and there has been no damage to the profile.

Regards

Danny Simms

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

Mangonui New Zealand

On 03 September 2020 at 00:02 Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

Isn't that the idea to break the hook and not destroy the profile?
Paul on sykerpa SM 259

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Thanks Bill

Danny

On 03 September 2020 at 02:06 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Danny why is it breaking in the first place? If one forgot to take down the halyard and then furl, something will brake.! Have you inspect the groove at the top? I ones forgot it and the lashing between the hoke and the halyard broke I was sure I had broken the hook but it came down when sending upp the release slider.
Paul

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Paul,

I think you are correct in that it breaks when sideways load occurs which should not happen if everything is operating as designed. The nylon hook has little tolerance to this loading. In my case it was because the alloy locating tongue for the swivel had worn through. If you read the Amel instructions for ballooner hoisting you will see the need for  very careful positioning of the foil track (and the swivel) which allows the hook to work.  I did not know that this tongue was prone to wear  and had many frustrating hoists of the ballooner when it was more luck than good management that had the halyard lock work. As I prepared for a Pacific voyage from New Zealand another owner made me aware of this small but vital item. But why did it wear through. Another discovery was the fact there is a nylon pencil or crayon in the track that the tongue is entered into. In my case this was missing through all my ownership to this point. Because it had never been there I had no way of knowing it was missing. I shared this information at the time. Until I found this the tongue continued to wear. So again Paul, you are correct and I fixed the symptom not the cause. However, I now have both and I am sure the alloy hook is doing no harm and I am protected from accidental loading. So folks, make sure your tongue and pencil/crayon are both in place and in good repair and enjoy your ballooner.

Kind Regards

Danny

SM 299

Ocean Pearl

Mangonui New Zealand

On 03 September 2020 at 23:14 Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:

Danny why is it breaking in the first place? If one forgot to take down the halyard and then furl, something will brake.! Have you inspect the groove at the top? I ones forgot it and the lashing between the hoke and the halyard broke I was sure I had broken the hook but it came down when sending upp the release slider.
Paul

Gary Wells

Does Amel not stock these? I'd think that if they have them you could probably have a new one to you in a week or so.
I've not asked about it, but it's certainly seems worth asking Maud about it :)

Gary W.
SM 209, Adagio
Galesville, MD

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Edited

In my humble opinion, I would never use an aluminum halyard hook.  The possibility of breaking more than a halyard hook is just too great.  Instead of breaking a hook, at the price of MAX $80, you could end up with a few thousand $$ in damage.  Amel had a reason for making the hook the sacrificial lamb, and this is one part I would NOT change.  I broke one, and very happy it broke and didn't take down my rig!  I left the halyard on the hook and started to furl, and most of you that broke a hook did the same.  I have never had a problem with a hook, unless I F'd up, and with everything that is going on when you are deploying or retrieving your ballooner..... "There is a possibility of making a mistake!".  So, don't change the hook material!

I ordered 3 Hooks from Maud last year, and though Amel dosen't keep them in stock, I believe you can get them in a few months.  I carry 3 aboard Aquarius.  This way if I meet a friend that needs one, I still have a spare.  That's the good things about the Amel SM...there are about 480 of us that use very similar parts.  If I have something that another Amelian needs to keep going, I am happy to help.  JP needed a filter on SM#007, and after a few beers, he talked me out it!  I think most of Amelians are the same, we help each other.  That's one of the biggest reason I like the Amel SM!

Best to All.

Ken Powers
Aquarius SM2K #262
Still in Thailand...

Bryce Procter

Hi Ken,

From what I can gather you are still in Thailand and on possibly in Port Takola Marina Krabi.
My SM is currently laying in Pangkor Marina and I'm stuck in Perth Australia waiting for the borders to reopen. I'm planning on dropping the masts for repainting while replacing the standing rigging and electronics either in Malaysia or heading to Phuket/Krabi. Do you have any thoughts or recommendations on marinas and services in the area?

Cheers

Bryce
SM Seamaster ll

On Sat, Sep 5, 2020 at 11:11 AM +0800, "Ken Powers SV Aquarius" <ken@...> wrote:

In my humble opinion, I would never use an aluminum halyard hook.  The possibility of breaking more than a halyard hook is just too great.  Instead of breaking a hook, at the price of MAX $80, you could end up with a few thousand $$ in damage.  Amel had a reason for making the hook the sacrificial lamb, and this is one part I would NOT change.  I broke one, and very happy it broke and didn't take down my rig!  I left the halyard on the hook and started to furl, and most of you that broke a hook did the same.  I have never had a problem with a hook, unless I F'd up, and with everything that is going on when you are deploying or retrieving your ballooner..... "There is a possibility of making a mistake!".  So, don't change the hook material!

I ordered 3 Hooks from Maud last year, and though Amel dosen't keep them in stock, I believe you can get them in a few months.  I carry 3 aboard Aquarius.  This way if I meet a friend that needs one, I still have a spare.  That's the good things about the Amel SM...there are about 480 of us that use very similar parts.  If I have something that another Amelian needs to keep going, I am happy to help.  JP needed a filter on SM#007, and after a few beers, he talked me out if!  I think most of Amelians are the same, we help each other.  That's one of the biggest reason I like the Amel SM!

Best to All.

Ken Powers
Aquarius SM2K #262
Still in Thailand...

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Hello Bryce,

Too bad you can't get back to SM Seamaster II.  Just heard that Malaysia is closed until "at the earliest" December 31st.  Hope this changes, but that was the latest today.  There are several boats in Thailand trying to get down to Malaysia, but as you know the boarders are all closed.  A friend left Thailand 10 days ago headed to Australia.  He got permission to stop for fuel in Malaysia, and in Indonesia.  They stopped in Langkawi where they got fuel (30% cheaper than fuel in Thailand) also also arranged to pick up some Alcohol, and a SIM card for data while sailing near Malaysia.  Next stop was Belitung Indonesia, where they got fuel (slightly overpriced) and arranged to get some fresh veggies and a SIM card for data while sailing through Indonesia.

They may, or may not stop in Lombok, where Ray (Owner of Marina Del Ray) sez ALL boat welcome to stop and stay out of the weather!!!  Then when they get to Australia they may have to to the 14 day Q!

Marinas in Phuket -
Ao Po - Expensive ( About $75US per night for a SM). Plus Elec, and Water.  Nice facilities, but not really the place to get your boat serviced)
Yacht Haven - Expensive (About $75US per night for a SM). Plus Elec, and Water.  Nice facilities). We got some work done here - but was not happy with the work
done by an American "electrician?".  There are some good trades here, but found most trades to be expensive.  They do have a good person to do upholstery here.  This is also far from most of the places that sell boat parts.  You will have to rent a car 800 B per day, which is a great deal.
Phuket Boat Lagoon - VERY EXPENSIVE If you have to ask the price, you don't want to be here.  But, they have all the shops for Marine Equipment here.  Most of the services are based here.  But, over priced!
There is also a Marina in Chalong Pier - Don't know the price, but kind of a dump.  Should just anchor off the pier when you arrive, and dinghy into the Marina to check in to Thailand.  Depending on the weather when you arrive, anchor off the small island Ko Lon, or Next to Cloud 19 Panwa and just a short Dinghy ride to the pier.   Then, don't go to a marina unless you have to.  Anchor off Yacht Haven and meet up with everyone!!!

Krabi Downtown Marina - This is the Budget Marina - If you need a marina, and you want to be next to a small town, this is it.  Cheap (about$25 per night), but it's a dump of a marina!!!  If you are going to be there for more than 7 nights, better to pay the 5000 baht to become a member.  50% off.....  Power is expensive without the 50% off!

Krabi Boat Lagoon - This is where I am now.  We are getting the bottom completely sanded to Gel Coat, keel down to metal, 2 coats of epoxy barrier coat for the fiberglass, 2 coats of epoxy coat for the metal keel, 2 coats of epoxy primer, 3 coats of ablative antifoul.  Also, they are going to re-coat my boot stripe with Gel Coat, not paint.  Also, getting the Rub Rail re-gel-coated.  Including some other Gel Coat on the hull to make it look new.  This will all cost about $5500.  I have found this to be a nice place, but out of the way.  Cost right not is reasonable because of a 40% discount due to Covid.  About $30 per night...

There are a few other marinas, but these are the ones that I know.

If you have any questions, let me know!  If you have whatsApp - call me +1 six one9, two18, one7Five three.

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Gang,

I agree with you Ken.  :-)

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, NZ

On 5 Sep 2020, at 15:34, Bryce Procter via groups.io <Balibryce@...> wrote:

Hi Ken,

From what I can gather you are still in Thailand and on possibly in Port Takola Marina Krabi.
[...]

Michael & Robyn

Greetings!
just ordered two new ones from Maud.
[01888] CROCHET DE BALLOONER ERTALYTE/ Ballooner hook (Ertalyte) for 74EUR each w/o VAT + shipping
kind regards
--
Michael & Robyn

SY RIPPLE SM2K # 417
currently in Cambridge MD Chesapeake Bay

Alan Leslie

Hi Ken,
I agree, we carry two spare (three in total) for bringing the ballooner down and one spare (two in total) for hoisting - haven't broken any yet.
We also carry numerous spares like bow thruster seal kits ...
You never know when someone may be in need.
Cheers
Alan
Elyse SM437 - stuck in Opua