Topics

Super Maramu Bimini

Karen Smith

Our bimini fabric is worn and needs replacement. This is cheaper than we could find locally.  The quote from Amel is for 1 914,19  Euros plus shipping and taxes, with delivery in 6 to 8 weeks. I am certain it will be of higher quality than we could have made locally! If you have the original tubes and set up, you might consider this!

Karen Smith and Bill Kinney
Harmonie SM #160
Annapolis, Maryland

Kelly Ran

That's a great tip!
Could you send pictures when yours arrives?
We have been trying to get a new bimini made all season. Getting one from Amel sounds like the right move. 

Thanks,
Kelly + Ryan
SM233 Iteration
Salem

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020, 22:22 Karen Smith via groups.io <karenharmonie=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Our bimini fabric is worn and needs replacement. This is cheaper than we could find locally.  The quote from Amel is for 1 914,19  Euros plus shipping and taxes, with delivery in 6 to 8 weeks. I am certain it will be of higher quality than we could have made locally! If you have the original tubes and set up, you might consider this!

Harmonie SM #160
Annapolis, Maryland

Mike Ondra

Hi Bill and Karen,

We had a new bimini made by Oatley’s Top Shop in Galena, MD last year. Base price was $2550 including windows in the forward panel for sail vision and zipped to open for ventilation (zipper does leak a bit but worth it for the other benefits). Also included the side panels with vision. We did add snap on sun covers for bimini and side panel glass which added $300.

Excellent service. Check them out. www.facebook.com/Oatleys-Top-Shop-370106889754172/

Mike Ondra

Aletes SM#240

Rock Hall, MD

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of Karen Smith via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, October 21, 2020 10:23 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Super Maramu Bimini

Our bimini fabric is worn and needs replacement. This is cheaper than we could find locally.  The quote from Amel is for 1 914,19  Euros plus shipping and taxes, with delivery in 6 to 8 weeks. I am certain it will be of higher quality than we could have made locally! If you have the original tubes and set up, you might consider this!

Harmonie SM #160
Annapolis, Maryland

Thomas Kleman

We are full time live-aboards so it might be different for you but I would strongly recommend adding a zip out window panel forward. It makes a huge difference (especially for the unlucky soul who sits on the starboard side). It also gives you another option when deciding about eating/hanging out outside in terms of the wind or rain.

Also, not sure what the Amel supplied unit is made of but we've been super happy with the sunbrella product with the plastic inner layer. 

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422

Karen,

If it is the same I bought from Amel, it will have the two side panels and the tonneau cover included.

I found that the Amel OEM is superior to anything else I have found. It will routinely last 12 years and sometimes 18 years.

It fit perfectly with only 1 turnbuckle attachment for the side panel not aligning.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 9:22 PM Karen Smith via groups.io <karenharmonie=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Our bimini fabric is worn and needs replacement. This is cheaper than we could find locally.  The quote from Amel is for 1 914,19  Euros plus shipping and taxes, with delivery in 6 to 8 weeks. I am certain it will be of higher quality than we could have made locally! If you have the original tubes and set up, you might consider this!

Harmonie SM #160
Annapolis, Maryland

Marina Burmaka

Karen,

We received the bimini from Amel in June. The sides cost extra and are not included with just bimini.
Additional, it was surprise for us, new bimini doesn't have the zippers for the tubes. So you have to remove the tubes to be able to change the bimini.
If I knew what we get I would not order from Amel.

Sv 'Life is good'
Marina

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 6:19 PM, CW Bill Rouse
<brouse@...> wrote:
Karen,

If it is the same I bought from Amel, it will have the two side panels and the tonneau cover included.

I found that the Amel OEM is superior to anything else I have found. It will routinely last 12 years and sometimes 18 years.

It fit perfectly with only 1 turnbuckle attachment for the side panel not aligning.

Bill

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020 at 9:22 PM Karen Smith via groups.io <karenharmonie=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

Harmonie SM #160
Annapolis, Maryland

jlm@jlmertz.fr

I agree, Amel bimini is a bit has been ... I prefer the Sunbrella fabric mtch more modern colors and especially with the zippers on the bars which allows disassembly for wintering and in addition the budget is more reasonable ...

JLM s/v CottonBay

Le 23/10/2020 à 03:45, Marina Burmaka via groups.io a écrit :
Karen,

We received the bimini from Amel in June. The sides cost extra and are not included with just bimini.
Additional, it was surprise for us, new bimini doesn't have the zippers for the tubes. So you have to remove the tubes to be able to change the bimini.
If I knew what we get I would not order from Amel.

Sv 'Life is good'
Marina

On Thu, Oct 22, 2020 at 6:19 PM, CW Bill Rouse
Karen,

Bill

Harmonie SM #160
Annapolis, Maryland

Stephane Thomaso

hello 
I am interesting to see more about your bimini , could you send a photo because I don't understand clearly what you describe !  thanks

Le jeu. 22 oct. 2020 à 15:54, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> a écrit :
We are full time live-aboards so it might be different for you but I would strongly recommend adding a zip out window panel forward. It makes a huge difference (especially for the unlucky soul who sits on the starboard side). It also gives you another option when deciding about eating/hanging out outside in terms of the wind or rain.

Also, not sure what the Amel supplied unit is made of but we've been super happy with the sunbrella product with the plastic inner layer. 

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422

Thomas Kleman

One "pearl" (I feel like someone may have trademarked that word)......there are many ways to get the clearance you need to make a forward facing window. One is to re-weld all the bars (hassle). Another is merely to move the forward bar up the channel 4 inches (the two others will just sit at a higher angle.....and you have the clearance with no welding. The Bimini no longer folds neatly but in 10 years of ownership I've never had occasion to fold it up and sail in an open cockpit. Leaving the boat, I can quickly remove the Bimini, side, and extension anyway.

Tom and Kirstin
SM2K 422
SV L'ORIENT
Oahu, waiting to go back to FP

Karen Smith

Everybody uses their boats differently, and no one solution is right for everybody. We have only once taken our bimini off (for hurricane prep) and we fold ours down for "open cockpit" sailing ALL the time--virtually every night on passage, many cloudy days, and always for close quarters maneuvering, or anchoring, or just to watch the dolphins play.  If we are moving, our dodger is folded down probably 30% of the time.

This is one of the things we love about the original Amel dodger design.  It gives one of the most protected cockpits out there, and in less than 30 seconds, can change to be completely open to the world. Nothing would ever get us to trade away sailing topless under the stars.  Even our side curtains are rarely installed outside of a driving rainstorm.  For us, they just get in the way.

It's not the "right" solution, except for us.

Bill & Karen
sm160
s/v Harmonie
Annapolis, MD

scentstone

HI Karen

I perfectly agree with that ! These days SMs tend to be changed in RVs ;-)

We shouldn't forget that the have to remain light and not changed in Xtmas trees for fast and great sailing passages in light or strong winds.

That said we love to discover all the community members arrangements 

Fred

Sailing Vessel ScentStone

SM2k #375

Cathy & Guillaume

If it can be of any help, attached are some photos I received from Maxime @Amel a few months ago showing their bimini and rear extension.

The reference numbers he gave me where:

Ref amel 3204 :Capote avec fenêtre SM2000 (Bimini)
Ref amel 2114 :Extention de capote SM2000 (=taud d’hiver)
(rear extension) 

This is made by a company in Souillac, France.

Not sure myself about this design: does the sloping rear panel prevent stowing a normal size tender on the aft deck?  Seems to have forgotten the genoa sheet passages?

A question for those who have used Sunbrella (with coating inside): is it watertight enough after a few years? Does it lose its shape?  Do you recommend it?

Guillaume
Carpathia III - SM2K #293

heinz@quetzal.berlin

Hello 
My Bimini was made by a sailmaker in Greece. 
She also made the bimini for a friend of mine, also a SM 2000 but we added windows to the front. You just have to lift the frame a bit. You only have to raise the two stands 10 cm higher - these are only 2 new holes on the side so that you can continue to use the old frame. not visible from the outside. 
We took Sunbrella in sand colors. No problems so far. I can send you the mail address off the sailmaker if you want. Your Hull No. Is next to mine I have 292. 
Greetings Heinz 
SY Quetzal 

Am 24.10.2020 um 15:36 schrieb Cathy & Guillaume via groups.io <carpathia3@...>:

If it can be of any help, attached are some photos I received from Maxime @Amel a few months ago showing their bimini and rear extension.

(rear extension) 

Not sure myself about this design: does the sloping rear panel prevent stowing a normal size tender on the aft deck?  Seems to have forgotten the genoa sheet passages?

A question for those who have used Sunbrella (with coating inside): is it watertight enough after a few years? Does it lose its shape?  Do you recommend it?

Guillaume
<De Amel - capote_complète SM 2000.doc>

--
Hello 
Since yesterday when I tried to park in a box in a marina in Auckland my bow thruster motor failed. 
If I turn the beam to the left or right the whole power supply breaks down for a moment. After that the power is back. 
I took the rudder off and it can be turned perfectly by hand. 
But the same happens with the engine. No power for a few seconds, all instruments off, no rotation of the motor. 
Does anyone know this problem. 
Does anyone know how I can find out if it's the motor or maybe a relay that doesn't work. 
Can I test the motor without a relay, maybe on the 4 cables marked D1, D2, and A1, A2?
I am grateful for a quick answer.
Heinz SY Quetzal, SM 2000, 292

heinz@quetzal.berlin

Mit freundlichen Grüßen 
Heinz Stutenbāumer
Dachdeckermeister

Am 24.10.2020 um 16:52 schrieb "heinz@..." <heinz@...>:

Hello 
My Bimini was made by a sailmaker in Greece. 
She also made the bimini for a friend of mine, also a SM 2000 but we added windows to the front. You just have to lift the frame a bit. You only have to raise the two stands 10 cm higher - these are only 2 new holes on the side so that you can continue to use the old frame. not visible from the outside. 
We took Sunbrella in sand colors. No problems so far. I can send you the mail address off the sailmaker if you want. Your Hull No. Is next to mine I have 292. 
Greetings Heinz 
SY Quetzal 

Am 24.10.2020 um 15:36 schrieb Cathy & Guillaume via groups.io <carpathia3@...>:

(rear extension) 

Guillaume
<De Amel - capote_complète SM 2000.doc>

--
Hello 
Since yesterday when I tried to park in a box in a marina in Auckland my bow thruster motor failed. 
If I turn the beam to the left or right the whole power supply breaks down for a moment. After that the power is back. 
But the same happens with the engine. No power for a few seconds, all instruments off, no rotation of the motor. 
Does anyone know how I can find out if it's the motor or maybe a relay that doesn't work. 
Can I test the motor without a relay, maybe on the 4 cables marked D1, D2, and A1, A2?

--
Hello