Super Maramu front opening refrigerator

Eric Freedman

I recently had the knob that holds the refrigerator against the cabinet of the sink pull out of the refrigerator.

It is held in place by a pressed in bolt on the side of the refrigerator.

I decided to make a thin plate about 5 x 10 cm with a nut welded to the back of it and then screw the plate into the refrigerator. Possibly with some 4200 added.  Does anyone else have another solution?

Years ago, there was a double wire gadget to lock the door in place on top of the refrigerator to hold the door open. I saved the gadget but forgot how it held the door open.  One end obviously was held in place with a machine screw  on the top of the door.

Near the other end there is another machine screw. However, there is a pin that sticks down from this gadget and I forgot how it works as the pin ripped up the sheet metal of the top of the reefer years ago. Does anyone remember this item, and how it works?

Please reply to Kimberlite@...   as I cannot receive gmail on my boat.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

David Vogel

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Eric Freedman <kimberlite.ef@...>
Reply to: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, 17 May 2022 at 9:23 am
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Super Maramu front opening refrigerator

Please reply to mailto:Kimberlite@...   as I cannot receive gmail on my boat.

Fair Winds
Eric
Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

David Vogel

Eric,

With these 2+2 photos, I hope it is worth 4,000 words...

Best,

David
SM#396, Perigee
Whangarei, NZ

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Eric Freedman <kimberlite.ef@...>
Reply to: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, 17 May 2022 at 9:23 am
To: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

karkauai

Hi Eric, that bolt was screwed into a RivNut.  I think they hold better than rivets and can be left in place and reused when removing and replacing.

 I just bought a new fridge and installed rivnuts for the slider under the fridge. And for the bolt that goes through the cabinet (your problem bolt), and two rivnuts on the top of the cabinet and door for the wire part that holds the door open.  I've also used them for mounting things to the mast, instead of using rivets.  You can get a kit with several rivnuts and a tool for installing them at Harbor Freight for $50US.  https://www.harborfreight.com/10-in-professional-rivet-nut-setter-kit-58078.html
You should also buy some aluminum rivnuts for use in the mast and other aluminum parts. The originals in the fridge were 8 or 9 mm, if I remember correctly.

I will take pics and give you measurements of where to drill the holes for the bolts that hold the wire gadget that keeps the door open.  Ingenious little piece of kit.

Kent
SM 243
Kristy

--