Super Maramu length of the Long Pole

Kent,

Yesterday I was told that Amel shortened the long pole with the SM 2000. I have noticed how the long poles are stored on deck with earlier model SMs versus later models. The earlier models overhang the toe-rail at the bow. I have always thought this to be simply a different storage method. When you get a chance, please measure the length of the aluminum tube on the long tubes. Next week I am going to be on a later model SM and will measure those.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Fri, May 7, 2021 at 7:59 AM karkauai via groups.io <karkauai=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
A few years ago I was sailing N in the Gulf Stream in 20kts from astern.  In the middle of the night with no warning (it was a moonless night with no lightning observed) we were suddenly in 35+ kts from 40d off the starboard stern.  The seas rapidly grew from 5-6 ft to 8-10 ft.  I turned directly downwind and furled the headsails together to about 10%.  But before I could muster the crew and get the poles down, we rolled and caught the tip of the port pole in the water.  It shattered the forward guy block, and the pole came whipping back alongside the dodger. No damage there, but potentially an even worse problem than we had.

The problem was a thunder storm that must have formed right over us, or just didn't have any lightning.  That was before I got my new Radar, and I didn't use it at night unless I saw a specific need.

So now I take the poles down at night, and run the radar at night.  In any choppy seas over 4-5 ft, I raise the end of the poles a couple of feet above horizontal.

Kent
SM 243 Kristy
Preparing to sail to Maine in early June

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

Mark McGovern

Bill,

The aluminum tube part of the long poles on Cara (Hull #440) are just over 442cm long.  The entire pole with the end fittings is around 469cm.

Pics below:

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

Nicolas Klene

Same here 442 cm, measured like the top picture

--
Nicolas Klene
DarNico

Mark & Nick,

Thanks

On Sat, May 8, 2021 at 10:18 AM Nicolas Klene via groups.io <laixoi=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Same here 442 cm, measured like the top picture

--
Nicolas Klene
DarNico
SM2K # 471
In Marseille

Slavko Despotovic

It is 467cm on Bonne Anse. End to end. The long pole.
-
Slavko
SM 2000
#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz

Dan Wilcox

Bill,

So is there a recommendation to shorten a long pole to be the shorter length for better storage and functionality?

Thanks, Dan
Feierabend SM #86

#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz

Dan,

I know of no such recommendation. I know that 1 SM owner (Hull before 200) says that he shortened his poles by 57.5 cm. to match the length of a SM2k. I am not sure that this statement from him is totally accurate. I doubt it but trying to determine the facts. And I am not sure of the length of the aluminum tubes on Feierabend SM #86. Can you give that to me? That may tell us all we need to know.

Here is SM444:
image.png

#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz

John Clark

Annie's poles were reported to be shortened by original owner because the insurance company did not like them protruding past the rails.  I never measured them but they work fine.

John Clark
Annie SM 37
St Thomas, USVI

#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz

Arno Luijten

Hi John,

You mean when they are stored on deck? First time I’ve heatd about a Insurance company interfering at that level.
On Luna the 2nd pole is in on deck and goes past the pushpit extending to about the same “forwardness” as the bowroller

Regards,
Arno Luijten,
SV Luna,
A54-121

John Clark

No Bill that was the long poles.  They reported that the way Amel had them stowed they stuck out about a foot.  They said they were shortened so that they fit inside the rail.  The "short" poles were not modified.

#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz

John Clark

Hi Arno,
   yes I have seen that on some SM2Ks as well and also with the poles inside the rail.  The poles seem to work fine so I never gave it too much thought.

On Tue, May 11, 2021 at 7:18 AM Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:

Hi John,

You mean when they are stored on deck? First time I’ve heatd about a Insurance company interfering at that level.
On Luna the 2nd pole is in on deck and goes past the pushpit extending to about the same “forwardness” as the bowroller

Regards,
Arno Luijten,
SV Luna,
A54-121

Dan Wilcox

Bill,  our poles must be monsters...  Overall, 526.5 cm (207.25 inches)... just silver part is 500.4 cm (197").

Thanks, Dan
Feierabend SM#86

#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hi gang,

Our early SM has the original poles and they extend beyond the railing.

Extra length is very noteable if alongside an SM2K like here in NZ

CHEERS

Jean- Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, NZ

#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz

<image.png>

Dan,

Thanks for this.

It seems that early SMs had poles that were 58cm longer than later model SMs. I have to assume Amel shortened the long poles for a reason.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

#279 Bonne Anse in Portoroz

Bill Kinney

I suspect (but can not prove!) the reason of the change (we have the long poles) was simply to allow the securing the forward end of the pole to the pin on the stanchion without reworking the whole lifeline system.  With the long poles the forward end of the pole is captured in the liferail and while it can not escape, it certainly CAN bounce up and down.  We had some fiberglass crazing from this.  We added pads of Treadmaster to cushion the rail where the pole rests.

What I found interesting, is after shortening the poles by a half meter, there was no change in the size of the genoa or balloner.  Having sailed with both, I can't say I notice a difference.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Hollywood FL