Super Maramu No 29 of 1990 brand new drive unit

Helen and Kostas Yuvanidi

Dear all,

We just received our brand new drive unit from Amel and are wondering if anyone else has replaced theirs and has any advice for us. We have a mechanical engineer to do the job but it would be really helpful if anybody has any advice for us. We had the old original drive unit which gave us various problems for many years until we decided that enough was enough and it was time for an upgrade.

We received all the hoses etc to mount it plus the new mounts and frame for both the engine and the drive unit as we need to raise the engine in order to mount the new drive unit.
I am attaching photos of the parts we received plus the plan for mounting the drive unit to the keel.
As Maud told me we will need to drill a hole in the drive unit so the we can pass the bolt though to affix it to the keel.
We are in touch with Amel but any advice and do or don’ts would be helpful.

Best regards,
Helen and Kosta SY Meditation SM No 29 of 1990
Based in Aegina, Greece

Sent from my iPhone

karkauai

Hi Helen and Kosta,
I replaced Kristy's drive several years ago. It was straightforward.  If you don't have the alignment "tool" for aligning the engine with the drive, you should really have that.  It is basically a solid block (I had mine made of aluminum by a local machinist) the same thickness as the coupling with holes drilled as on the coupling.  You will also need high strength threaded rod with nuts on both ends to make the connection of coupling to drive and transmission.  Bolts were supplied by Amel...nearly impossible to install.

I'm working from memories several years old and my mind is no longer the steel trap it used to be, but I don't remember any other issues.

If you run into problems, please contact me directly at karkauai "at" yahoo "dot" com.  Maybe your question will jog a buried memory.

Good luck.

Kent & Iris
SM 243
Kristy
Currently cruising Maine

--
Kent & Iris
KRISTY

Helen and Kostas Yuvanidi

Hi Kent and Iris,

Thank you very much!!

Bill just sent me a file which has a plan for the alignment tool so we will definitely get one made. We had asked Maud for one but they no longer stock them.

I’m not sure what you mean about the threaded rod though….like a bolt but longer?

Best regards,
Helen and Kosta

On 21 Jul 2021, at 4:50 PM, karkauai via groups.io <karkauai@...> wrote:

[...]

You may not need the "threaded rods" that Kent mentioned. Here is a translation:

This, except use Nyloc nuts:
image.png
Nyloc Nuts:
image.png

[...]