Topics

Super maramu questions

asm283 <no_reply@...>

Hello

I finally spend a few weeks cruising my SM2000 # 283 in a variety of
conditions. I would like to ask some questions.

1- Sails: The standard genoa that comes with the boat did not roller
reef well. Has anyone replaced this sail and what did you have made.
Have you added to the sail inventory and if you did what did you add.

2-Dodger windows: When taking significant spray and going into the
sun you are almost blind. Has anyone used anything on these windows
to improve visibility such as rainX? Also, the helmsman window
leaked is this normal and is there a way to seal it better.

3-Anchors: So far the standard anchor has worked well I also have a
40lb danford. What other anchors are being carried out there.

4- Davits: I am torn on this one. I dont like the look of them but I
think the convenience may sway me to add them. Any suggestions or
recomendations.

5-Communications: SSB? Satellite phone? E-Mail? I would like to hear
what works and what does not.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Vito Ciaravino

Otherwise she was a confortable and fast yacht on my recent trip.

closereach <no_reply@...>

2-Dodger windows: When taking significant spray and going into the
sun you are almost blind. Has anyone used anything on these windows
to improve visibility such as rainX? Also, the helmsman window
leaked is this normal and is there a way to seal it better.
RT: We found on our trip traveling down the ICW that when motoring
into a 15 kt or higher breeze the wave chop does put a good amount of
spray on the dodger window and makes it very hard to peer forward. I
too would like to know of some 'magic' way to improve visibility.
Offshore I can see that this is not a big problem but traveling
inside a channel makes it difficult. My solution was to crack the
window open the smallest amount to peek through while getting the
least amount of spray coming past the opening.

3-Anchors: So far the standard anchor has worked well I also have a
40lb danford. What other anchors are being carried out there.
RT: We found our 60 lb. CQR worked great everywhere but one place--
Southport, NC. We anchored in the 'old' basin where all the fishing
vessels are located. Very very soft mud. CQR dragged throught like
butter. I deployed my 35 lb. stainless steel Northill anchor with
success. I have purchased a 110 lb. Bruce and will put that on the
bow as the primary anchor.
.