Super Maramu Rear Cabin - Proposed New Top hatch

George Green

We love our 2004/5 SM COCO, currently on the hard in Greece.

As part of a post COVID set of upgrades while staying on the hard, we are considering installing a full size Lewmar style hatch, opening forward, on the roof of the rear master cabin, when we ,hopefully get back to Greece in mid-September. My wife finds it pretty hot in this cabin, at anchor in the summer due to little or no direct airflow.  Yes , we do have a wind scoop ,  which can be hooked through the rear hatch, but this has limited effectiveness.

If anyone has tried this, i would welcome their experiences and constructive comments, even alternate solutions   I am aware there is a a degree of slope on this deck roof which may involve some extra work.

Many thanks

George
Amel SM 434

Hi George,

 You will not be the first to do this. There was an SM called Bali Hai, based in Malta, whose owners did the same. Since sold, I don't know where it is today.

 Ian and Judy, Pen Azen, SM 302, Kilada, Greece

We love our 2004/5 SM COCO, currently on the hard in Greece.

As part of a post COVID set of upgrades while staying on the hard, we are considering installing a full size Lewmar style hatch, opening forward, on the roof of the rear master cabin, when we ,hopefully get back to Greece in mid-September. My wife finds it pretty hot in this cabin, at anchor in the summer due to little or no direct airflow.  Yes , we do have a wind scoop ,  which can be hooked through the rear hatch, but this has limited effectiveness.

If anyone has tried this, i would welcome their experiences and constructive comments, even alternate solutions   I am aware there is a a degree of slope on this deck roof which may involve some extra work.

Many thanks

George
Amel SM 434

Patrick McAneny

George,
I installed a low profile Lewmar hatch above our bed ,just aft of the bulkhead about 15 years ago. It has been a great improvement and I could not imagine sleeping or even being in the aft stateroom long without it. The first thing we do upon entering the room is open the hatch . It not only leaves the hot air out ,but at night it provides a nice breeze across the bed ,sometimes to the point we need to close it to just a crack or pull on a blanket. The slope of the roof/deck did not present a problem, although it would if you went with a larger hatch. I know other owners by now have install one ,as we have been asked to provide info, I am sure there is a couple of pics in our photo section.
Hope this helps,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

We love our 2004/5 SM COCO, currently on the hard in Greece.

As part of a post COVID set of upgrades while staying on the hard, we are considering installing a full size Lewmar style hatch, opening forward, on the roof of the rear master cabin, when we ,hopefully get back to Greece in mid-September. My wife finds it pretty hot in this cabin, at anchor in the summer due to little or no direct airflow.  Yes , we do have a wind scoop ,  which can be hooked through the rear hatch, but this has limited effectiveness.

If anyone has tried this, i would welcome their experiences and constructive comments, even alternate solutions   I am aware there is a a degree of slope on this deck roof which may involve some extra work.

Many thanks

George
Amel SM 434

Regrettably, Bali Hai was lost in the Atlantic near the US shore when the crew abandoned her.

Here are some photos of an aft cabin hatch install on a SM. I do not recommend the wooden outside spacer used in this modification. If an external spacer is used I believe it should be fabricated from GRP.

That coach roof is balsa filled, so any penetration should be done by experienced people and care should be taken that the exposed balsa in sealed correctly.

image.png

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 11:14 AM ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@...> <ianjudyjenkins@...> wrote:
[...]

Alan Grayson

We get great airflow thru the aft hatch. The secret is to close all the other hatches and leave the companion way open. A wind scoop definitely helps at the rear hatch and on light wind days we have a fan mounted on a board in the hatch.
Alan Grayson
SM 406 Ora Pai

[...]

Bill, I agree ,I would not use wood as a spacer, and if you don't go too big and place the hatch strategically a spacer is not necessary . It goes without saying that the core needs to be sealed well. We have never had a leak around the perimeter of the hatch or any leaks for that matter.
It is sad to hear about Bali Hai , do you have any more info ? Is everyone safe ,approx. position and when this occurred ?
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans