Swivel or Shackle

Patrick McAneny

I wanted to change out my chain end for end and while trying to remove my swivel, I stripped the female hex head bolt that secures the pin. I assumed I would buy another swivel until I read in Practical Sailor magazine about the many failures from side loading,etc.,that there has been with swivels. They see no advantage over a simple shackle or two. So I was wondering if other owners just kept it simple and went with a shackle . I was thinking about going with the Mantus ,but I am concerned that if that single seizing wire should chafe ,the bolt could back out.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Michael Winand

We have a sarca exel no7 straight shackle to the chain,  only had twisted chain once, when anchored in a tidal river.  Fixed it on a deep anchored place 18meters.
Double the seized wire, easy to verify it is not damaged. 
Michael Nebo sm251 

On Fri, 2 Jul 2021, 6:54 am Patrick McAneny via groups.io, <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I wanted to change out my chain end for end and while trying to remove my swivel, I stripped the female hex head bolt that secures the pin. I assumed I would buy another swivel until I read in Practical Sailor magazine about the many failures from side loading,etc.,that there has been with swivels. They see no advantage over a simple shackle or two. So I was wondering if other owners just kept it simple and went with a shackle . I was thinking about going with the Mantus ,but I am concerned that if that single seizing wire should chafe ,the bolt could back out.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

ianjenkins1946 <ianjudyjenkins@hotmail.com>

Hi Pat , 

For what it’s worth , we have never used an anchor swivel but have two shackles in tandem between our 33kg Spade and the chain . In 21 years the anchor has always come home without a problem

Ian and Judy , Pen Azen , SM 302 Kilada , Greece ( sea temp 29c with weather warnings about the land temp. Not yet like NW. USA but getting there !) 

On 2 Jul 2021, at 00:51, Michael Winand <mickwinand@...> wrote:

We have a sarca exel no7 straight shackle to the chain,  only had twisted chain once, when anchored in a tidal river.  Fixed it on a deep anchored place 18meters.
Double the seized wire, easy to verify it is not damaged. 
Michael Nebo sm251 

On Fri, 2 Jul 2021, 6:54 am Patrick McAneny via groups.io, <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Ian Park

If you use a swivel do not attach it directly to the anchor. Attach a few links of chain, then the swivel and finally the main chain. This means that the swivel always pulls in a straight line.
I have abandoned using a swivel. When removing mine to turn the chain, the hex bolt that holds it together had suffered serious metal deterioration and disintegrated. None of this was visible, and I was lucky not to have lost the anchor. I have not had any serious chain twisting issues even in strong tidal streams.
It was a Kong Swivel which I refastened every time I turned the chain end to end ( at least biannually).

Ian ‘Ocean Hobo’
Isles of Scilly

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

Hi Pat,

Mantus swivel uses two stainless seizing wires in opposite directions which increases safety of one seizing failure.

Kind regards
Ross and Donna
SV Intrepid Kiwi
SM2K #356
Currently in Northern Cyprus.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, July 1, 2021, 11:54 pm, Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...> wrote:

Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Chuck_Kim_Joy

Hi Pat,
I had a mantus swivel as a replacement for my original amel swivel. I took it off because I could not see the link that attaches to the anchor. It was corroded as suspected. I use a shackle now without issue. 

Best 
Chuck and Kim Back in Martinique visiting Joy with help from TS Elsa. 

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 4:54 PM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Patrick McAneny

It seems from the three responses ,that I am not the only one with concerns over swivels . I think I will go with two shackles in tandem as Ian suggested . Chuck your concern about hidden corrosion ,was a big problem highlighted in the Practical Sailor article . Diane loved the spoon you guys sent us ,stay cool out there.
Thanks All,
Pat 
SM Shenanigans
Sassafras River, Md.

-----Original Message-----
To: main@amelyachtowners.groups.io
Sent: Fri, Jul 2, 2021 6:47 am
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Swivel or Shackle

Hi Pat,
I had a mantus swivel as a replacement for my original amel swivel. I took it off because I could not see the link that attaches to the anchor. It was corroded as suspected. I use a shackle now without issue. 

Best 
Chuck and Kim Back in Martinique visiting Joy with help from TS Elsa. 

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 4:54 PM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

ngtnewington Newington

In the 1980’s and 1990’s I never used a swivel.
Then in 2006 I started to use one thinking it an improvement, but gradually I have now come to the conclusion that they do nothing very useful and are a point of failure in an anchor system.
My Amel supplied Wasi anchor has been demoted to be a second anchor, this came with the special Wasi swivel. I have left it for now but frankly I do not trust a stainless fitting.
My newish Spade is the primary anchor with an extra strong galvanised shackle to the chain. No problem with twisting, slides nicely over the bow.
So in conclusion I have gone full circle on this issue.
Nick
S/Y Amelia
AML 54-019
Arki GR

On 2 Jul 2021, at 10:35, Ian Park <parkianj@gmail.com> wrote:

If you use a swivel do not attach it directly to the anchor. Attach a few links of chain, then the swivel and finally the main chain. This means that the swivel always pulls in a straight line.
I have abandoned using a swivel. When removing mine to turn the chain, the hex bolt that holds it together had suffered serious metal deterioration and disintegrated. None of this was visible, and I was lucky not to have lost the anchor. I have not had any serious chain twisting issues even in strong tidal streams.
It was a Kong Swivel which I refastened every time I turned the chain end to end ( at least biannually).

Ian ‘Ocean Hobo’
Isles of Scilly

Arno Luijten

I'm quite happy with my Mantus swivels. They are very beefy and of a clever design. I really like the way they attach to the anchor using a shackle giving the anchor freedom of lateral movement. I'm using the biggest size they offer in combination with a 35kg Spade anchor. Setting the anchor most of the time is almost like hitting a brick wall when backing up. That thing really grabs. The swivel works fine and is a big improvement over the WASI powerball which is a good idea with poor execution (the grub screws are stupid small and tend to seize up). The biggest problem with the Mantus swivels is they are fairly heavy so I needed to add some restraint to prevent it from damaging the gelcoat when stored at the bow (see enclosed picture).
On previous boats I used a KONG swivel and those are well build as well. I remember there is a video in youtube about testing these things and they performed well. The problem with those is you should put a ring between the anchor and the swivel to enable lateral movements without putting strain on the swivel for which it was not designed.

Regards,
Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121