Swivel or Shackle

Patrick McAneny

I wanted to change out my chain end for end and while trying to remove my swivel, I stripped the female hex head bolt that secures the pin. I assumed I would buy another swivel until I read in Practical Sailor magazine about the many failures from side loading,etc.,that there has been with swivels. They see no advantage over a simple shackle or two. So I was wondering if other owners just kept it simple and went with a shackle . I was thinking about going with the Mantus ,but I am concerned that if that single seizing wire should chafe ,the bolt could back out.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Michael Winand

We have a sarca exel no7 straight shackle to the chain,  only had twisted chain once, when anchored in a tidal river.  Fixed it on a deep anchored place 18meters.
Double the seized wire, easy to verify it is not damaged.
Michael Nebo sm251

On Fri, 2 Jul 2021, 6:54 am Patrick McAneny via groups.io, <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I wanted to change out my chain end for end and while trying to remove my swivel, I stripped the female hex head bolt that secures the pin. I assumed I would buy another swivel until I read in Practical Sailor magazine about the many failures from side loading,etc.,that there has been with swivels. They see no advantage over a simple shackle or two. So I was wondering if other owners just kept it simple and went with a shackle . I was thinking about going with the Mantus ,but I am concerned that if that single seizing wire should chafe ,the bolt could back out.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Hi Pat ,

For what it’s worth , we have never used an anchor swivel but have two shackles in tandem between our 33kg Spade and the chain . In 21 years the anchor has always come home without a problem

Ian and Judy , Pen Azen , SM 302 Kilada , Greece ( sea temp 29c with weather warnings about the land temp. Not yet like NW. USA but getting there !)

On 2 Jul 2021, at 00:51, Michael Winand <mickwinand@...> wrote:

[...]

Ian Park

If you use a swivel do not attach it directly to the anchor. Attach a few links of chain, then the swivel and finally the main chain. This means that the swivel always pulls in a straight line.
I have abandoned using a swivel. When removing mine to turn the chain, the hex bolt that holds it together had suffered serious metal deterioration and disintegrated. None of this was visible, and I was lucky not to have lost the anchor. I have not had any serious chain twisting issues even in strong tidal streams.
It was a Kong Swivel which I refastened every time I turned the chain end to end ( at least biannually).

Ian ‘Ocean Hobo’
Isles of Scilly

Ross Hickey & Donna Hammond

Hi Pat,

Mantus swivel uses two stainless seizing wires in opposite directions which increases safety of one seizing failure.

Kind regards
Ross and Donna
SV Intrepid Kiwi
SM2K #356
Currently in Northern Cyprus.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

On Thursday, July 1, 2021, 11:54 pm, Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...> wrote:

I wanted to change out my chain end for end and while trying to remove my swivel, I stripped the female hex head bolt that secures the pin. I assumed I would buy another swivel until I read in Practical Sailor magazine about the many failures from side loading,etc.,that there has been with swivels. They see no advantage over a simple shackle or two. So I was wondering if other owners just kept it simple and went with a shackle . I was thinking about going with the Mantus ,but I am concerned that if that single seizing wire should chafe ,the bolt could back out.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Chuck_Kim_Joy

Hi Pat,
I had a mantus swivel as a replacement for my original amel swivel. I took it off because I could not see the link that attaches to the anchor. It was corroded as suspected. I use a shackle now without issue.

Best
Chuck and Kim Back in Martinique visiting Joy with help from TS Elsa.

On Thu, Jul 1, 2021 at 4:54 PM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I wanted to change out my chain end for end and while trying to remove my swivel, I stripped the female hex head bolt that secures the pin. I assumed I would buy another swivel until I read in Practical Sailor magazine about the many failures from side loading,etc.,that there has been with swivels. They see no advantage over a simple shackle or two. So I was wondering if other owners just kept it simple and went with a shackle . I was thinking about going with the Mantus ,but I am concerned that if that single seizing wire should chafe ,the bolt could back out.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Patrick McAneny

It seems from the three responses ,that I am not the only one with concerns over swivels . I think I will go with two shackles in tandem as Ian suggested . Chuck your concern about hidden corrosion ,was a big problem highlighted in the Practical Sailor article . Diane loved the spoon you guys sent us ,stay cool out there.
Thanks All,
Pat
SM Shenanigans
Sassafras River, Md.