tb/NEW ZEALAND/AYOG

Teun BAAS

Morning,

Due to a crucial part going AWOL (and, after ordering it yday from a different country, it is now expected to be available early next week) I have to change my original cruising plan and are now likely going to NEW ZEALAND. We plan leaving QLD AUSTRALIA around October 27 or 28, 2022 although so far it looks like mostly motoring so it might a little later.

Have not done a lot of research but what would be a good place to start sailing NEW ZEALAND; initially during the 2022/2023 cyclone season, maybe longer or maybe after the cyclone season towards FIJI or, alternatively, joining the 2023 SAIL2INDONESIA rally.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

HOPE ISLAND MARINA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

October 20, 2022 09:28:01

Mike Longcor (SV Trilogy)

The Bay of Islands in the Far North is a safe and easy place to start. Opua is a port of entry.

Cheers,
Mike Longcor
SV Trilogy SM23
NZ

On Wed, Oct 19, 2022, 7:28 PM Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Morning,

Due to a crucial part going AWOL (and, after ordering it yday from a different country, it is now expected to be available early next week) I have to change my original cruising plan and are now likely going to NEW ZEALAND. We plan leaving QLD AUSTRALIA around October 27 or 28, 2022 although so far it looks like mostly motoring so it might a little later.

Have not done a lot of research but what would be a good place to start sailing NEW ZEALAND; initially during the 2022/2023 cyclone season, maybe longer or maybe after the cyclone season towards FIJI or, alternatively, joining the 2023 SAIL2INDONESIA rally.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

HOPE ISLAND MARINA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

October 20, 2022 09:28:01

JOHN HAYES

Teun

One possibility would be a broad lead Brisbane to waikawa bay marina near picton (10 to 12 days passage ) to clear customs and bio security

Sail around Marlborough pelorus sounds then Nelson and able Tasman national park.

When you get a weather window head south to Milford sound and various fiords to the south then around Stewart island.

Then head up the east coast of the south and north islands as a precursor to heading t to o Fiji or Indonesia in May after the cyclone season.

I’m based in Wellington / picton  couple of other kiwis with Amels around whangarei and Danny in Monganui (sp?) no north of opua.
My direct contact is johnhayes862@...

Best

On 20/10/2022, at 12:28 PM, Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Morning,

Due to a crucial part going AWOL (and, after ordering it yday from a different country, it is now expected to be available early next week) I have to change my original cruising plan and are now likely going to NEW ZEALAND. We plan leaving QLD AUSTRALIA around October 27 or 28, 2022 although so far it looks like mostly motoring so it might a little later.

Have not done a lot of research but what would be a good place to start sailing NEW ZEALAND; initially during the 2022/2023 cyclone season, maybe longer or maybe after the cyclone season towards FIJI or, alternatively, joining the 2023 SAIL2INDONESIA rally.

Thank you for your suggestions.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

HOPE ISLAND MARINA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

October 20, 2022 09:28:01

David Vogel

Hi Teun,

As Mike says, a good port-of-entry in Opua in the Bay of Islands – the north east of the North Island.   The attached is something just released for the benefit of the backlog of cruisers bound for NZ from all points north, east and now , apparently, west.

Best,

David

SM#396, Perigee

On-the-hard, Marsden Cove Marina

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Teun BAAS <teun@...>
Reply to: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Thursday, 20 October 2022 at 12:28 pm
To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] tb/NEW ZEALAND/AYOG

[...]

Morning David, John, Mike and others.

Thanks for all the feedback – very useful. Indeed it looks that Bay of Islands/Opua is a good place to clear customs and to start in case we go to New Zealand.

Closely monitoring the part which is now waiting @ a transfer hub in BELGIUM

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

HOPE ISLAND MARINA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

October 21, 2022 09:45:08

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Teun BAAS <teun@...>
Reply to: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Thursday, 20 October 2022 at 12:28 pm
To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

Forgot to mention Rob & Dee who sent me a great digital file on NZ – much appreciated.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

HOPE ISLAND MARINA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

October 21, 2022 10:09:31

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Teun BAAS <teun@...>
Reply to: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Date: Thursday, 20 October 2022 at 12:28 pm
To: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

[...]

When Judy and I arrived at Opua it was midnight. Normally, we would wait offshore until sunrise. However, we decided to follow a commercial vessel into the port. Everything was well-lit, the charts were perfect, as were the channel markers, and the Customs Dock was easily found on the charts and in the harbor. We pulled up to the customs dock, side-to and tied off. We were awakened at about 0800 by a knock-knock on the hull. Perfect!

Be careful in that area and the Opua Marina. If the tide is running, your ability to control the boat while navigating in the marina will be challenged. Check the tide tables. Not necessarily so on the customs dock where you will tie side-to.

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550