The cockpit enclosure vs hurricane Gel batteries, solar panels and inverter - an experience

Eric Freedman

It seems wild but the entire cockpit enclosure (we call it the doghouse)  held up for about 20 hours. Then the zippers started opening.  We sewed the zippers closed with sail thread and rode out the rest of the hurricane.

After that experience I had our sailmaker sew 4 loops made of webbing on the side curtains and the back “window”.

If we ever encounter these conditions again, we can tie the sides and back together.

If you have ever had to remove the bimini by sliding the supports through the material, you will confirm it is a project.

Our bimini now has zipper pockets at each support. The bimini comes off in minutes. As a word of caution, make sure you lubricate the zippers with zipper lube.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376