Topics

The ICW with a Super Maramu

closereach <no_reply@...>

Hello everyone,

Last night at 7pm we arrived home with our new Super Maramu. She's
hull #5 and built in 1989. We purchased her in Mamaroneck, New York
and have spent the past 3 weeks traveling down the coast to our home
here on the east coast of central Florida (Satellite Beach). This
Super Maramu had previously been damaged in a collision with another
vessel on the starboard side, ahead of the main mast chain plates. We
bought her from the owner and had her repaired by Derecktor
Shipyards. What an unbelievable level of worksmanship by the
craftsman at Derecktor! The fiberglass repair and joinery repair work
is superb. It's great to know that the same people building the CEO
of Tyco's $20+M dollar 150+ foot yacht worked on the repair of our
boat.

The masts were damaged in the collison, so the
hardware/motors/winches were removed from what was left of the masts
(mizzen was snapped in half and mainmast was dented here and there).

We then motored out Long Island sound, past NYC, down the New Jersey
coast, up the Delaware Bay and down the Chesapeake Bay and entered
the Intracoastal Waterway at Norfolk.

Ok, without masts it's a bit cheating for a sailboat to do the ICW.
However the Super Maramu is still a relatively deep draft sailboat--
enough that we went aground 4 times (althought 2 of those were
definitely my error of venturing just outside the ICW channel). For
those interested, be very carefully around Cape LeJuene, North
Carolina where the inlets come very close to the ICW. And the second
time was right in the center of the channel at mid tide in the cut
that enters the Cape Fear River (also in NC!). The inlets all in
Florida are well marked with cans buoys and we had no problem.
(Incidently, we bought the BOAT/US $99 unlimited tow package just in
case. It's a great deal and we called them for any 'local knowledge'
before coming close to many of areas where the ICW cuts close to the
inlets.)

For the trip, I removed the MaxProp and installed the backup standard
3 bladed fixed prop. I wanted to be very conservative and 'baby' the
engine (Perkins 80hp with 2000 hours) so I motored at 2,000 rpm at a
speed of 7.5 mph (I set the instruments/GPS to miles per hour rather
than knots as all the ICW chart and navigation books refer to statute
miles rather than nautical miles). Engine ran flawlessly for each
days 12 to 13 hour run for the past 3 weeks.

I did not pay to much attention to the fixed bridge heights on the
ICW. I can say, however, that here in Florida several of the fixed
bridges just south of Cape Canaveral are around 63 feet right now.
What is the air draft of an SM? I believe it's 65 to 66 feet,
correct?

Our 1985 Sharki is still up for sale. I'll email photos and info on
request.

Richard Tate
SM #5 SPICE

asm283 <no_reply@...>

--- In amelyachtowners@y..., closereach <no_reply@y...> wrote:
[...]

Congradulation on your boat.I owned hull # 6 for a year.I currently
own #283. Although the new boat has all the upgrated systems. I think
the older boats had better woodwork and a higher level of finish. I
hope you get those masts on soon and go sailing. You may be the only
person ever to go down the ICW in a Super Maramu.

Vito Ciaravino
SM#283 Wonderer