Topics

The maintenance fuel bladders

Thomas Kleman

Many/most of us have a COVID related "change of plans" story, but ours included 28 days nonstop Panama to Nuku Hiva, 8 days in Nuku, then 14 days Nuku to Hawaii. We had been Caribbean based our first 9 years of cruising so the distances in the Pacific intimidated us enough to buy a 100 liter fuel bladder to supplement our 10 jerry cans. Of course we used about 20 pct of all this fuel - the first fuel used being from the bladder so I could get it off the cabin top behind the mizzen. That was 8 months ago. I got all the fuel out of it (I hope) and stored it nicely folded back in it's nifty plastic bag. I did nothing to clean it as I had no idea how to and other priorities emerged like finding a place which would take us.

I'm very cautious about fuel; straining everything first, Biobor, changing filters neurotically, etc.) I've read accounts on this site regarding various fuel goblins and problems of that nature and don't want these issues on L'ORIENT. Should I be worried about using this bladder for my return trip to FP from Hawaii (14 days); can/should it be cleaned ? If so, how ? I just have no experience using this a second time.

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
SM2K 422
Oahu

Matt Salatino

I’d have to guess cleaning would not be necessary. The problems emanate from moist air getting in the tank. I imagine your bladder isn’t vented, and flattens as it empties? If so, there isn’t a daily air exchange, so moisture should not condense inside, so nothing to feed the creepy crawlies that grow in fuel.
My 2¢....
~~⛵️~~~Matt Salatino, A50#27, Speed of Life

On Jan 23, 2021, at 10:30 PM, Thomas Kleman <lorient422@...> wrote:

[...]

Courtney Gorman

14 days and 10 Jerry Cans should be more than plenty but I agree bladder should be fine.  If you’re really concerned fill it with 10 gallons and move shake and squish vigorously then dump you should be good to go
Cheers
Safe travels
Courtney
Trippin
54 #101

On Jan 24, 2021, at 1:50 AM, Matt Salatino via groups.io <helmsmatt@...> wrote:

[...]

eric freedman

We have had a 200 liter fuel bladder made by nauta for many years. they made two types. The better one which we have has a nylon outer coating , brass connectors and hold down straps. We fill it and drain it with a pump through one 5/8 inch hose. When we are done with itn we hold it up so the drain is at the bottom , and the roll it up. Th tank stays in the port locker for 6 months at a time. when we fill it up again we add Howes fuel treatment to the fuel. We have never had a problem.

Fair Winds,

Eric

SM 376 Kimberlite

On January 24, 2021 at 8:51 AM "Courtney Gorman via groups.io" <Itsfun1@...> wrote:

[...]

Scott SV Tengah

Thomas,

Can't help ya on maintaining the fuel bladder, but I can give you our experience on the Hawaii-Tahiti passage.

It sucked.

Our 31 day 4848 nm passage from Panama to Hawaii was much much easier. And this one was only a bit more than half the distance.

More detail: We left from Maui and went leeward of Big Island. Alenuihaha channel delivered on its threats and we got 40+ knots right when we hit the wind line. Leeward of B.I. is a confused swelly mess with little wind. We stayed close to shore to take advantage of the little sea/land breeze, but we motored a good 8 hours on that side, I think. Friends who went further offshore in the lee hated life even more.

As you know, Mie had some visa extension uncertainty so we had to leave Hawaii by a certain date. First tip is time departure for a northerly and shoot east. Try to go windward of all the islands. When they say you should focus on making easting, you should really take it to heart, especially early in the passage. As you know, current and wind are kind of against you and only gets worse. Second tip: download the RTOFS models in the highest resolution possible, for the entire passage, before you leave. You can get updates via satellite/ssb along the way for smaller areas, but the overall pattern didn't change too much during our passage. There are a few eddies as you near the ITCZ that will help you immensely if you can get to them. Speaking of which, once we passed the ICTZ, we got winds from due south, so we shot straight east.

We crossed the equator at 144W. That makes life easier once you hit the South Pacific trades.

We used around 200 liters fuel total, I think. We only run our genset for an hour every 2.5-3 days or so while sailing, but I think with your wind gen and prevailing winds forward of the beam, you'll be using your genset as little or even less than we did. Do what makes you feel comfortable re: carrying fuel but I think you'll be using less fuel than you think.

Good luck and aside from the less than pleasant sail down, FP is definitely worth the effort and IMO is better than Hawaii in many ways. We are at the Papeete airport on the way out now, but will be back in 3 months. Hope to see you guys then!

Sorry for the thread drift, but hope this info makes your passage a little easier than ours.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69