There is a spring on the companionway locking bar

eric freedman

On the inboard side of the companionway there are two threaded bolts sticking out of it.

Sitting on each bolt is a piece of stiff plastic tubing inside of a coil spring in the first photo attached .

The locking bar of the companionway sits on these bolts,

When you tighten the black knob, it compresses the spring .

The spring allows the bar to move inboard when the black knob is released.

Please excuse my poor drawing.

The bar fits into a depression on the companionway rails.

To make my life easier I fabricated a pair of nylon blocks that fit as door stops so the door always lines up with the slot in the rails. I also purchased a pair of levers that make opening and closing the door easier.

Fair Winds

ERIC

Kimberlite Amel SM 376

EricOpdeweegh

Dear Eric,
Thank you very much for the photos, drawing and explanation.
This is what I was thinking to have seen on an other SM.
Will work on it.
Appreciate the effort

Fair winds
Eric
Sm158
Rotterdam

Op 23 jul. 2021 om 06:25 heeft eric freedman <kimberlite@...> het volgende geschreven:

On the inboard side of the companionway there are two threaded bolts sticking out of it.

Sitting on each bolt is a piece of stiff plastic tubing inside of a coil spring in the first photo attached .

The locking bar of the companionway sits on these bolts,

When you tighten the black knob, it compresses the spring .

The spring allows the bar to move inboard when the black knob is released.

Please excuse my poor drawing.

The bar fits into a depression on the companionway rails.

To make my life easier I fabricated a pair of nylon blocks that fit as door stops so the door always lines up with the slot in the rails. I also purchased a pair of levers that make opening and closing the door easier.

Fair Winds

ERIC

Kimberlite Amel SM 376

<20210722_233716.jpg>
<20210723_000245.jpg>
<20210723_001620.jpg>

Jamie Wendell

Eric, can you tell us who makes those levers and where you bought them? Maybe a part number?
I have seen this before and have been considering exactly this solution, but have had difficulty locating the appropriate levers per your photo.
It would seem to me that the compression built into the levers would be the same as turning the standard knobs - always a pain.
Thanks,
Jamie Wendell
Phantom, A54 #44

eric freedman

Eric,

Bill posted a couple of solutions instead of using the black knobs. I originally made the closures as per the drawing years ago from teak. They worked great. I then saw the metal ones I bought them and gave the teak ones away. . They also work well. However they are too long, are difficult to turn due to their length, and bang on the top of the side of the companionway steps. In retrospect, I should have stayed with the teak ones.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

[...]

Thanks Eric,
I received a couple of options in various threads.
Will see what works best for me.

Fair winds
Eric
Abayomi
SM158
Rotterdam

rossirossix4

I'm away from KAIMI so I cannot give you a photo but we have a rather large sliding bolt lock on the top inside corner of the companion way slide that was installed by the previous owner.  He also filled in the indentations with wood so the bar would not catch (but the spring idea to hold the bar out is a good idea)  The only time I tighten the black knobs is 1) when I am wanting to lock the door partially up, like when running in large seas or 2) when I leave the boat for an extended time--we also have the external stainless steel padlocks protection device and we use bolt cutter protected locks on those.

There are 2 grooves to fix the 90 bolt "handle" in the open or closed position.  BTW there is a similar massive bolt that allows you to bolt the rear stateroom door from the inside.

Anyway, I really like the bolt, it is strong, super quick, and you don't need to mess with cam locks, etc.  I will try to update this post in a month or two with a photo when I am aboard.

Bob, KAIMI SM429

EricOpdeweegh

Hi Bob,

Thanks also to you for the suggestions and ideas. Really great, this forum, for these kind of issues
I the mean time please know I used the springs as on DarNico which I visited earlier last year searching for my SM
It is simple and easy.
It works now fine with me too. Maybe an extra sliding lock pin on top later but for now will try this.
See also the message I send to DarNico with the photos

Far winds and safe sailing

Eric
sv Abayomi
SM 158