Topics

Tips appreciated: Major frustration trying to pull cable through Mizzen.

Scott SV Tengah

We just spent two days trying to get two cable pulled through the mizzen without any success. I saw a few threads about it but it seems we must be doing something wrong.

For our A54, there are two cable channels that seem to be built as part of the mizzen mast (one starboard, one port), leading to two small circular forward facing openings that you access through an inspection hatch located on the port side of the mast. No matter what we did, we couldn't pull cables through the mast. Things we've tried, all with unterminated cable:

- taped the new VHF/AIS cable to the old one at the masthead and tried to pull down. It went about halfway then got completely jammed to the point where we pulled so hard that the old VHF/AIS cable ripped in half.
- tried pulling the cables using the Amel installed nylon mousing lines from the mast base. We literally could not get the vhf/ais cable more than 5cm past the port side channel opening before it jammed up on something.-
- as a followup to this, we tried to tie a similarly thin 1.5mm line to the Amel mousing line at the mastbase and tried to pull it up the mast. Again, we couldn't get the 1.5mm line more than 5cm up the mast!

Each of the two conduits has two mousing lines in it. One of the mousing lines has a few 2-3cm cylindrical foam gaskets (like the ones on our Goiot port lights) tied perpendicular to the mast. Any idea what these are for? There is clearly something inside the mast that is jamming the line, but I can't figure out what it is.

FYI here are the two cables we are trying to pull through:

(1) RG8X replacement wire for a replacement AIS antenna
(2) GBC400 Iridium Go antenna lead (10mm!)

I think I'm going to give up on the second cable due to the thickness but I'm about to give up on the first one, too!

Any tips appreciated.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg

Hi Scott
This is what we found inside our mast when we had it down for maintanance.
All guide lines had loosened from the top and had fallen down inside the mast. Each line had a lot of soft closed cell pieces tighed on the lines probably to prevent noice. We hade never managed to get this out with the mast standing up.
The second channel is still jammed probably for the same reason

Hälsningar
Ann-Sofie & Jonas
S/Y Lady Annila, SM232, 1998

Skickat från min iPhone

3 aug. 2020 kl. 08:58 skrev Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...>:

[...]

Yes, that's what our foam pieces look like too.

This is for your mizzen or main? Thanks!

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg

Main

Ann-Sofie & Jonas
S/Y Lady Annila, SM232, 1998

Skickat från min iPhone

3 aug. 2020 kl. 10:03 skrev Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...>:

Yes, that's what our foam pieces look like too.

This is for your mizzen or main? Thanks!

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello Scott,

1. You need to pull up the mouse line with the foam dampers to the masttop, while there is a line fixed at the lower end to pull it back in later.

2. You use the plain mouse line to pull in your new cable

3. Plull the damping line back in

That way we have been successfull.

Oliver from Vela Nautica Amel54#39
Martinique

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020, 04:05 Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg <ann-sofie@...> wrote:
Main

Ann-Sofie & Jonas
S/Y Lady Annila, SM232, 1998

Skickat från min iPhone

3 aug. 2020 kl. 10:03 skrev Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...>:

Yes, that's what our foam pieces look like too.

This is for your mizzen or main? Thanks!

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Scott,

To answer your question, the foam tied about every 2 meters is to keep the wires from twisting inside the channel and jamming. This is something that, as far as I know, only Amel does. I suspect that the reason you have a jam is that somehow the wires twisted anyway.
image.png

I hope all Amel owners are reading this because the biggest cause of the wires jamming is someone adds wires that do not have this simple piece of foam.

I think there are 3 possible solutions:
  1. Pull the entire group of wires in that channel down, then reinstall them.
  2. Try pulling from the top.
  3. You might also attempt someone at the top and someone at the bottom alternately pulling up, then down.
Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 5:45 AM Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica <oliver.henrichsen@...> wrote:
[...]

After struggling with the mizzen for a while, we got it to work. On my main, we did as Oliver did and it made it super easy. To clarify further:

Inside each conduit there is a thinner line and a thicker line. The thinner line has the foam bits on it. So we tied a messenger line to the bottom of this thinner line and I pulled out the thinner line/foam bits from the top of the mast. The cable went through almost like butter after that.

We ended up leaving just the newly fed messenger line in the main along with the original amel messenger line (without foam) as I've been told that others have done that without noise issues. If we get noise, I'll just try to feed the lines with the foam bits back down the mast later.

Hope this helps someone!

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Oliver Henrichsen, SV Vela Nautica

Hello Scott,

Better feed the foam line back into the mast. Imagine 20m wire swinging in the mast, that might also ruin the wires, beside possible noise.

To feed the foam line back is no big deal.

Oliver from Vela Nautica
A54#39
Martinique

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020, 15:16 Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
[...]

Mark Erdos

If someone could please post a picture of the foam, this would be very helpful to me.

I will soon be replacing the Antenna (main mast), cables and VHF. I plan to thread the new cable from the top of the mast attaching it to the old cable while it is removed. If I can, I would like to keep the foam. I think I could add this as the new cable is being inserted but it is unclear how the foam is attached.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

Mark, I posted a photo (not a good one) earlier in this thread.
image.png

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 1:23 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

If someone could please post a picture of the foam, this would be very helpful to me.

I will soon be replacing the Antenna (main mast), cables and VHF. I plan to thread the new cable from the top of the mast attaching it to the old cable while it is removed. If I can, I would like to keep the foam. I think I could add this as the new cable is being inserted but it is unclear how the foam is attached.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

Paul Osterberg

If you can't keep the foam, one can attache cable ties to the cable and keep +/-5 cm of it, a few cable ties every 30-40 cm will take away most of the noice as it prevents the cable to dangle against the mast tube.
Paul on sykerpa SM 259 Portugal

Mark Erdos

Bill,

Is this a piece of foam – about 2-3” -  attached with a tie to the cable? It’s hard to tell.

Thanks.

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

[...]

Yes, it is.
/Ann-Sofie S/Y Lady Annila, SM232, 1998.

Skickat från min iPhone

13 aug. 2020 kl. 21:05 skrev Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...>:

Bill,

Is this a piece of foam – about 2-3” -  attached with a tie to the cable? It’s hard to tell.

Thanks.

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

Mark, I posted a photo (not a good one) earlier in this thread.

<image001.png>

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School

View My Training Calendar

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 1:23 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

If someone could please post a picture of the foam, this would be very helpful to me.

I will soon be replacing the Antenna (main mast), cables and VHF. I plan to thread the new cable from the top of the mast attaching it to the old cable while it is removed. If I can, I would like to keep the foam. I think I could add this as the new cable is being inserted but it is unclear how the foam is attached.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

Mark, from my book:
image.png