Topics

Tips for the passage from Chesapeake to St. Maarten?

Scott SV Tengah
 

Hi all,

We're anchored in DC right now and will head south after my boss (aka insurance) allows me to do so. The intent is to stage in Hampton or Norfolk and make the offshore passage to St. Maarten. I believe it's a tad under 1500 nm.

I know many of you have made this passage before so I am hoping to get some tips on how to best time it and also any tips in general. The east coast gets unpredictable in November and we're watching weather, trying to understand the patterns. The conventional wisdom of leaving on a NW'er doesn't seem to make sense for Norfolk because it seems it will take us 2 days to completely clear the Gulf Stream and we don't want to be out in it when the wind clocks to the NE.

Other tidbits I've gotten is that it's not worth it to stop in Bermuda and plan on 10 days more or less. Head E-SE until we get to the 65W and then rhumb line it to St. Maarten. 

It will be just the two of us, FYI. Any and all tips appreciated.

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Mike Ondra
 


Hi Scott. Sounds like you’ve got a decent plan started there. Aletes has made this trip twice before and planning departing Norfolk morning  of November 4 pending final weather check. Taking pretty much the same route you suggest. Let’s stay in touch as we get out to sea.
Mike  Ondra
Aletes SM240


On Oct 28, 2019, at 7:12 AM, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Hi all,

We're anchored in DC right now and will head south after my boss (aka insurance) allows me to do so. The intent is to stage in Hampton or Norfolk and make the offshore passage to St. Maarten. I believe it's a tad under 1500 nm.

I know many of you have made this passage before so I am hoping to get some tips on how to best time it and also any tips in general. The east coast gets unpredictable in November and we're watching weather, trying to understand the patterns. The conventional wisdom of leaving on a NW'er doesn't seem to make sense for Norfolk because it seems it will take us 2 days to completely clear the Gulf Stream and we don't want to be out in it when the wind clocks to the NE.

Other tidbits I've gotten is that it's not worth it to stop in Bermuda and plan on 10 days more or less. Head E-SE until we get to the 65W and then rhumb line it to St. Maarten. 

It will be just the two of us, FYI. Any and all tips appreciated.

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Scott SV Tengah
 

Thanks Mike. It'd be great if we could time it to leave more or less around the same time. We'll probably stick around DC this weekend and may just do an overnighter to get to Norfolk on Sunday.

Since leaving with a NW from Norfolk is not advisable, how do you choose your weather window?

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Alan Grayson
 

Hi Scott, we will be leaving at roughly the same time. At this stage we are leaving direct from Annapolis on the morning of the 3rd. predict wind and windy seem to both agree ( at this stage ). I’m not as worried if the wind is from the NW as the stream is moving NE where we would be crossing. I would prefer more out of the west but as long as it is under 15kts I will be leaving even if its North, it is supposed to be pretty light( once again at this stage), it might make for a bit of a bumpy ride but not too bad. If the wind is higher I will wait for a better wind angle.

We plan on heading to Bermuda mainly because it is a great place to visit and is not that far out of the way. We have done the trip before and it is best to get your easting in early before you hit the southeast trades which means Bermuda is not far out of the way.

Regards

Alan Grayson

SM 406 Ora Pai

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...>
Sent: Monday, October 28, 2019 9:35:22 AM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Tips for the passage from Chesapeake to St. Maarten?
 
Thanks Mike. It'd be great if we could time it to leave more or less around the same time. We'll probably stick around DC this weekend and may just do an overnighter to get to Norfolk on Sunday.

Since leaving with a NW from Norfolk is not advisable, how do you choose your weather window?

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Mike Ondra
 

Hi Scott. I think my approach would be to take a look at PredictWind, their departure scenarios. Then look at the forecast and conditions out 2 to 3 days and pick the departure day based on the most comfortable scenario, not the fastest scenario.
Mike
Aletes SM 240

On Oct 28, 2019, at 7:35 AM, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Thanks Mike. It'd be great if we could time it to leave more or less around the same time. We'll probably stick around DC this weekend and may just do an overnighter to get to Norfolk on Sunday.

Since leaving with a NW from Norfolk is not advisable, how do you choose your weather window?

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Courtney Gorman
 

Hi Scott Cindy and I made our first real passage from Brunswick GA to Puerto Rico In January not quite as far But similar course.  I would first recommend putting up your winter enclosure what a great way to sail second no matter what the forecast says East as much as possible before heading south.  We didn’t and when the wind unexpectedly shifted spent 4 days beating into heavy winds and confused seas.  My last advice is don’t be afraid to burn some diesel no reason to suffer IF the ocean isn’t being nice 👍🏻 
Cheers 
Courtney
54 #101 


On Oct 28, 2019, at 3:00 PM, Mike Ondra via Groups.Io <mdondra@...> wrote:

Hi Scott. I think my approach would be to take a look at PredictWind, their departure scenarios. Then look at the forecast and conditions out 2 to 3 days and pick the departure day based on the most comfortable scenario, not the fastest scenario.
Mike
Aletes SM 240

On Oct 28, 2019, at 7:35 AM, Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

Thanks Mike. It'd be great if we could time it to leave more or less around the same time. We'll probably stick around DC this weekend and may just do an overnighter to get to Norfolk on Sunday.

Since leaving with a NW from Norfolk is not advisable, how do you choose your weather window?

--
Scott 
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Duane Siegfri
 

Alan Grayson:

Gaetun told me your boat was coming into Caribe Greement on Monday.  Please email me at:  carlylelk "at" aol "dot" com and maybe we can get together this weekend.  Peg and I are staying at the riggers dock until Monday morning.

Duane Siegfried
Wanderer, SM#477