Topics

tips on buying a new Amel

markmpitt...

Joel Potter showed my wife and I a new Amel Super
Maramu last week. We are very seriously considering
ordering one within the next few weeks. We hope to do some
serious couple cruising starting in the Caribbean and
moving into the South Pacific. We would appreciate your
views on:<br>1)the quality of the Amel sailing
experience<br>2)things to know about the Amel purchase experie ce (e.g.
options, defects, resale value, service,financial terms,
contracting,etc). Thanks.

pagandaisy...

I bought my Super Maramu 7 years ago and been
sailing her in the Caribbean ever since. I've never had a
regret she's a wonderful boat. If you like, I can e-mail
you my experience purchasing the boat, extras, etc.
and modifications I've made over the years. I know
Amel makes changes continuously and suspect some of my
extras no longer are. I'll give you both my e-mail and
phone number, if you just want to

amelliahona...

1-25-2002 Hi Mark. My name is Gary Silver. I
ordered an Amel Super Maramu on my 50th birthday (May
2000). There was a 13 month lead time at that point and
we took delivery July of 2001). We just completed
our sail across the Atlantic to Guadeloupe. We sailed
from La Rochelle to the Canaries in July 2001. Joel
Potter has been great. He is honest, forthright, and you
can take his word to the bank. Our only trouble with
the purchase process was that the financing broker
recommended by Joel had his main bank go bankrupt three weeks
before we closed. Our financing plans which had been in
place for over a year were suddenly non-existent. Joel
and the Offshore Financial broker did their best to
help but I can attest that there wasn't another
financial institution in this country who ususally finances
offshore boats that would then touch this project, I
called each one personally. Thank heavens I had a
personal relationship with my own banker who came throught
with financing in short order for me. The Amel SM is a
marvelous boat, extremely well thought out and a pleasure
to sail. The Amel factory, service and warranty
people are superb. Make sure you take a factory tour
while your boat is being built (or anytime), it will
really confirm in your mind the quality of the boat and
the organization and people you are dealing with.
Jean Jacques (the head guy or big cheese) and Olivier
in the La Rochelle warranty facility are<br>superb.
The one week owner shool is invaluable. Equipment
suggestions: hand grab rails on the stern, get the optional
hand grab rail on the setee table, I am currently
looking into getting additional hand grab rails in each
of the showers (when you are trying to shower while
at sea there isn't anything to hold onto in the head
because the shower curtain is drawn around), I am also
seeing what I can do to get extra grab rails on the
ceiling of the main aft cabin and forward cabin, look
into having the B & G, GPS, and autopilot interfaced
to each other (I did it myself after the fact and it
was a pain), get the crash bar in front of the stove
(the lack of this as a standard feature is the only
really safety related fault that I have found), get the
extra fans and fan outlets (in fact I wish I had
gotten<br>more fans, 10 instead of 6) for when you don't want to
run the AC, Joel will guide you wisely on the other
available options, trust his experience. If you are having
extra electronics installed that require cabinetry
modifcation have the Amel yard do the work as it is built. I
am currently looking into some cabinetry work due to
extra electronics and the Amel woodwork is so beautiful
I wish I would have had it done initially. No boat
is perfect but this one comes close. One last
thought, get the fresh air ventilation system, it is
essential when it is raining outside. In fact I would ask
them if there is some way to plumb a vent from it into
the quarter birth (the one to the starborad side of
the engine compartment), ventilation there is the
least satisfactory in the entire boat and there is no
AC there. <br>Hope this helps. Sincerely, Gary PS if
you want to talk please feel free to call me at
801-451-0499 (evenings are best)

rbenven44...

Hi,<br>I agree with everything Gary just wrote
about the Amel experience and the boat. We bought our
first Amel in 1983, a Maramu, and in 1996 didn't even
consider another boat when we bought our Super Maramu. We
added a lot of options to our SM, and almost all of
them are now standard. A couple of thoughts to add to
Gary's: Add hot water to the cockpit shower (if it isn't
already standard), add a Racor filter to the fuel line to
the engine and generator (again it may be standard by
now). And buy your life raft and dinghy in France --
they're half the price of the same models in the US (as
long as you buy European models such as Zodiac, Avon,
or Novurania, etc.)<br>Good luck, and enjoy your
Amel!<br>Roy Benveniste<br>SM "Excalibur" #195

kimberlite1212...

hollambyuk <hollamby@...>

--- In amelyachtowners@y..., markmpitt wrote:
Joel Potter showed my wife and I a new Amel Super
Maramu last week. We are very seriously considering
ordering one within the next few weeks. We hope to do some
serious couple cruising starting in the Caribbean and
moving into the South Pacific. We would appreciate your
views on:<br>1)the quality of the Amel sailing
experience<br>2)things to know about the Amel purchase experie ce
(e.g.
options, defects, resale value, service,financial terms,
contracting,etc). Thanks.
Two things you ought to go for are a 160 litre per min watermaker amd
a vinyl window in the bimini over the helmsmans seat so that you can
see the sails when the bimini is open.The latter is free or cheap if
ordered initially and expensive if they have to remove the bimini
afterwards to install it. I would also recommend having the
removeable backcurtain fitted to the rear of the bimini,invaluable in
poor weather and the port side of it can be folded forward on top of
the bimini to keep the sun off the helmsman.It is easily tied forward
to the clips on the fixed part.

Regards John Hollamby