Topics

Toilet Seawater Valves

Ian Townsend

Our 1996 SM153 has a seawater valve for each of the toilets. Has anyone with these ever had either the valve or the thruhull fail? A surveyor just told me that he has inspected the same valves/thruhulls on other European boats like a Hallberg-Rassey where they had a failure. Ours are in good shape so I am inclined to keep them with a wood plug nearby in case of a problem. But if there is anyone here on the forum that has experienced an issue, I will change them out. Many thanks.

Ian Townsend
Loca Lola II
SM153
On the hard in Maryland

Craig Briggs

Hi Ian,
My forward intake valve handle corroded such that I couldn't turn it and broke off the valve stem trying. The corrosion was from sea water accumulating from an inconspicuous leak in the attached small manifold that branches to the anchor wash which had a pin-hole from corrosion, although it was nicely fabricated by Amel of copper tube. I fabricated a new manifold (actually just a Pex "T" and some nipples) and replaced the valve - easy fix.  Also had one of the head outflow valves seriously freeze up but was able to disassemble the valve in place and clean it up.
--
Cheers, Craig - SN68 Sangaris, Tropic Isle Harbor, FL