Trouble-shooting MHU B&G213

Cathy & Guillaume

Dear Amelians,

I need some help, as my wind indicator is driving me crazy... Didn't work at all in the past 4 weeks sailing.

Two years ago, when the anemometer didn’t work, I changed the PCB and put anti-corrosion stuff at the top, in the box and on the Hydra 2000 connections. Everything worked fine for a year. Now, the wind indicator is kind of stuck most of the time on Stb, 160-170. When I take the voltage measurements, red and blue seem OK, change every second or so and move quite a bit between 0 and 4, depending on wind. Green seems stuck between 0.01 and 0.03. Seems to be the outlier!

I have gone up the mast, dismounted the unit, spread it with anticorrosion stuff, checked everything everywhere, but no result.

Based on what I read on the forum, my gut feel is:

1. Wind sensor angle bearing in the MHU (213-10-004)

2. Then Cable

3. Or possibly Connector base at the top

4. Further down: PCB (but I don’t think so)

5. Or Hydra fried (but I don’t think so)

If I can avoid, I don’t want to buy the whole thing piecemeal : is there a way to pinpoint whether it is the wind sensor or the connector or the cable?

Second question: I would like to mount a second MHU, at the top of the mizzen, for redundancy. Have others done it and does it work correctly there? If yes, is there a view on putting a second B&G213 (easier for parts) or definitely move to the newer WS310?

Many thanks in advance for advice!

Kind regards,

Guillaume

s/v Carpathia III – SM2K #293

Ian Park

I had a similar problem last year. New transducer. It turned out to be the screen display that was faulty. That was a Raymarine setup. The local agent lent me a working transducer with a short lead to plug into the display which proved which end was the problem.

Ian. ‘Ocean Hobo’ SN96 - Milford Haven

Guillaume,

I had almost the same problem and did all that you did and more, eventually replacing every removable component on the 213MHU.

I went up and down the mast 10-12 times.

Finally, I replaced the 213MHU Mount and wire (25m). The wire is permanently fixed to the mount. Thankfully Dan Carlson helped, or actually did a lot of that replacement, but being the one up the mast.

Good luck, the 213MHU is still the best and longest-lasting MHU you can buy...all of the others are "throw-away" units, meaning when they fail you throw them away.

image.png

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Mon, Sep 6, 2021 at 7:00 AM Ian Park <parkianj@...> wrote:
I had a similar problem last year. New transducer. It turned out to be the screen display that was faulty. That was a Raymarine setup. The local agent lent me a working transducer with a short lead to plug into the display which proved which end was the problem.

Ian. ‘Ocean Hobo’ SN96  - Milford Haven

Ian Townsend

After all the trouble and expense of trying to fix two B&G MHUs, I finally solved this problem by replacing it with an Airmar 220WX weather station.

[...]

Mark Erdos

Ian,

Smart move. For the cost of the repair, replace it with something better J I’ve been suckered into two expensive B&G repairs. No more!

I have a good friend who also went this route and he loves the update.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

[...]

Paul Harries

How accurate do you find the ultrasonic wind sensors? I read reports of them being not so good at low speed, is that BS?
--
Paul Harries
Prospective Amel Buyer

Ian Townsend

Not sure what you consider low wind speeds but we have not experienced inaccuracies at any speed.

Ian & Margaret
Loca Lola II
SM153

On Sep 6, 2021, at 11:02 PM, Paul Harries via groups.io <Pharries@...> wrote:

How accurate do you find the ultrasonic wind sensors? I read reports of them being not so good at low speed, is that BS?
--
Paul Harries
Prospective Amel Buyer

Cathy & Guillaume

@Ian, where did you mount the sensor? The manual says it has to stay vertical, how does that work with heel?

Has anyone mounted a secondary MHU at the top of the mizzen?