Topics

Turbo question

Rob Hughes

This is my 6 yr old turbo from Volvo tamd22 after being cleaned. I have a loss of rpm only able to get 2200. Is this rust color normal? I'm wondering about all the pitting. I have a new turbo on order. Just want to see if I have another issue that needs addressing. And if anyone has pictures of their turbo after cleaning could you share that please.

Germain Jean-Pierre

Question??? Are you sure of the engine desig?  TMD22 is the usual engine , not the TAMD...

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, OPUA,NZ

On 24/09/2020, at 10:10 AM, Rob Hughes via groups.io <svluna01@...> wrote:

<Screenshot_20200923-170405.png>

This is my 6 yr old turbo from Volvo tamd22 after being cleaned. I have a loss of rpm only able to get 2200. Is this rust color normal? I'm wondering about all the pitting. I have a new turbo on order. Just want to see if I have another issue that needs addressing. And if anyone has pictures of their turbo after cleaning could you share that please.

Alain Blanchard

Hello Rob

I remember this video about turbo. It might Help ... There are 4 videos  on the subject.

Alain

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 24 sept. 2020 à 02:59, Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> a écrit :

 Question??? Are you sure of the engine desig?  TMD22 is the usual engine , not the TAMD...

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, OPUA,NZ

On 24/09/2020, at 10:10 AM, Rob Hughes via groups.io <svluna01@...> wrote:

<Screenshot_20200923-170405.png>

This is my 6 yr old turbo from Volvo tamd22 after being cleaned. I have a loss of rpm only able to get 2200. Is this rust color normal? I'm wondering about all the pitting. I have a new turbo on order. Just want to see if I have another issue that needs addressing. And if anyone has pictures of their turbo after cleaning could you share that please.

Rob Hughes

yes i have the tamd pb

Paul Osterberg

This is how mine is, just some corrosion at the valve, have decided to put it back and ser if it works now after cleaning, else buy a new one.
Paul on sykerpa SM 259

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

No i clean the Turbo make nwe seals and it works perfekt
Elja

SM Balu 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Mark Erdos

Rob,

The most concerning part of this picture is the fan. The fan should be clean and you should be able to flick it with your fingertip and watch it spin. If it doesn’t spin freely, the problem with your lack of getting RPM is indeed the turbo. You are probably also blowing out smoke as you increase the RPM with a damaged turbo.

You have just found out how expensive turbos are for a marine engine. Save your old one and hunt for an automotive turbo repair shop during your travels. They are common. The chances are it can easily be rebuilt for not much money (under $200).

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

This is my 6 yr old turbo from Volvo tamd22 after being cleaned. I have a loss of rpm only able to get 2200. Is this rust color normal? I'm wondering about all the pitting. I have a new turbo on order. Just want to see if I have another issue that needs addressing. And if anyone has pictures of their turbo after cleaning could you share that please.

eric freedman

Rob,
while you have the Turbo off, You might paint it with automotive exhaust header paint.
Once it is heated up it cured and you will never have a rusty turbo.
Fair Winds,
Eric
SM 376 Kimberlite