Topics

Turbo question

Rob Hughes

This is my 6 yr old turbo from Volvo tamd22 after being cleaned. I have a loss of rpm only able to get 2200. Is this rust color normal? I'm wondering about all the pitting. I have a new turbo on order. Just want to see if I have another issue that needs addressing. And if anyone has pictures of their turbo after cleaning could you share that please.

Germain Jean-Pierre

Question??? Are you sure of the engine desig?  TMD22 is the usual engine , not the TAMD...

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, OPUA,NZ

On 24/09/2020, at 10:10 AM, Rob Hughes via groups.io <svluna01@...> wrote:

<Screenshot_20200923-170405.png>

This is my 6 yr old turbo from Volvo tamd22 after being cleaned. I have a loss of rpm only able to get 2200. Is this rust color normal? I'm wondering about all the pitting. I have a new turbo on order. Just want to see if I have another issue that needs addressing. And if anyone has pictures of their turbo after cleaning could you share that please.

Alain Blanchard

Hello Rob

I remember this video about turbo. It might Help ... There are 4 videos  on the subject. 

Alain

Envoyé de mon iPhone

Le 24 sept. 2020 à 02:59, Germain Jean-Pierre <jp.germain45@...> a écrit :

Question??? Are you sure of the engine desig?  TMD22 is the usual engine , not the TAMD...

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, OPUA,NZ

On 24/09/2020, at 10:10 AM, Rob Hughes via groups.io <svluna01@...> wrote:

<Screenshot_20200923-170405.png>

Rob Hughes

yes i have the tamd pb

Paul Osterberg

This is how mine is, just some corrosion at the valve, have decided to put it back and ser if it works now after cleaning, else buy a new one.
Paul on sykerpa SM 259 

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

No i clean the Turbo make nwe seals and it works perfekt
Elja

SM Balu 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Mark Erdos

Rob,

The most concerning part of this picture is the fan. The fan should be clean and you should be able to flick it with your fingertip and watch it spin. If it doesn’t spin freely, the problem with your lack of getting RPM is indeed the turbo. You are probably also blowing out smoke as you increase the RPM with a damaged turbo.

You have just found out how expensive turbos are for a marine engine. Save your old one and hunt for an automotive turbo repair shop during your travels. They are common. The chances are it can easily be rebuilt for not much money (under $200).

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rob Hughes via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 12:10 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Turbo question

eric freedman

Rob,
while you have the Turbo off, You might paint it with automotive exhaust header paint.
Once it is heated up it cured and you will never have a rusty turbo.
Fair Winds,
Eric
SM 376 Kimberlite

On September 24, 2020 at 2:49 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

Rob,

The most concerning part of this picture is the fan. The fan should be clean and you should be able to flick it with your fingertip and watch it spin. If it doesn’t spin freely, the problem with your lack of getting RPM is indeed the turbo. You are probably also blowing out smoke as you increase the RPM with a damaged turbo.

You have just found out how expensive turbos are for a marine engine. Save your old one and hunt for an automotive turbo repair shop during your travels. They are common. The chances are it can easily be rebuilt for not much money (under $200).

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

Currently cruising - Tahiti, French Polynesia

www.creampuff.us

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Rob Hughes via groups.io
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2020 12:10 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Turbo question

Rob Hughes

I think i found the cause of the corrosion on the turbo. this is the picture of our old exhaust elbow. we had replaced I think sea water was spraying in onto the inside of the turbo housing 

Mark McGovern

The rust is normal and the pitting does not look terrible.  The exhaust housing is made from cast iron so it will start the rust the second you stop cleaning it unless you coat it with something. I wouldn't worry about it as it certainly is not the cause of your reduced maximum engine RPM.

As long as the turbocharger shaft spins freely (at least a little bit) and if there is not excessive "play" in the shaft if you grab it with two fingers and try to move it laterally back and forth, then the turbocharger is probably fine.  This assumes that the compressor wheel on other side of the turbocharger is OK.

What did it look like before it was cleaned?  If it looked like Delos' turbocharger completely filled with coked up crud (shown below) than it probably was the culprit:

Also, what does the exhaust elbow look like?

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Rob Hughes

Problem fixed. New turbo did the job

Dan Wilcox

If anyone is interested, I have a slightly used turbo and elbo for a Perkins Prima M80T.  They both have less than 5 hours on them.  I unfortunately had replaced them right before finding out my engine was toasted beyond repair.

Thanks, Dan
Feierabend SM#86

On Friday, September 25, 2020, 08:28:20 AM PDT, Rob Hughes via groups.io <svluna01@...> wrote:

Problem fixed. New turbo did the job