Topics

Twisted chain - Amel 54

David Crisp

Since buying Wilna Grace in July I've been progressively working my way through her, one job being to take out the lovely stainless steel chain and inspect it. What I thought would be a quick job turned into a marathon.  I'd hauled out ~3 deck lengths when I discovered the rest of the chain remaining in the locker was twisted into a massive ball.  Sometime later I'd finally worked the chain onto the deck and had ~1.5 deck lengths of twisted chain.  I'm unclear why this twist should have built up or over what period of time.  Wilna Grace is 12 years old and I have reason to suspect the chain may not have been fully out for some time.

Never had this problem with my Super Maramu. Anyway from now on each year I shall make a point of finding some deep water and letting all the chain out!  Has anyone else experienced this twist problem?

You did not state whether you have a swivel, which could account for some of the issue. The other thing that you should take into account is that SS chain will twist easier. The links of galvanized steel are harder to twist because they are not as slippery as SS.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 10:18 AM David Crisp <david@...> wrote:
Since buying Wilna Grace in July I've been progressively working my way through her, one job being to take out the lovely stainless steel chain and inspect it. What I thought would be a quick job turned into a marathon.  I'd hauled out ~3 deck lengths when I discovered the rest of the chain remaining in the locker was twisted into a massive ball.  Sometime later I'd finally worked the chain onto the deck and had ~1.5 deck lengths of twisted chain.  I'm unclear why this twist should have built up or over what period of time.  Wilna Grace is 12 years old and I have reason to suspect the chain may not have been fully out for some time.

Never had this problem with my Super Maramu. Anyway from now on each year I shall make a point of finding some deep water and letting all the chain out!  Has anyone else experienced this twist problem?

karkauai

I also have twisted chain after being at anchor all Summer.  The twist makes the chain jump on the gypsy every 5 meters or so.  So the fix is to find deep water and calm seas and let the chain and anchor hang for a while?  I really don’t want to do that on the deck!

Kent Robertson
Kristy
SM 243

On Oct 9, 2019, at 12:38 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

<2019-09-23 16.37.51.jpg>

Martin Bevan

When Caduceus 54 #56 was new we had a large problem with the galvanised chain twisting and forming knots in the chain locker and jamming in the hawse pipe. This continued despite having a swivel at the anchor end and dropping the chain in deep water many times to take the twists out. Having put up with this for a number of years and some exciting anchoring issues we changed the chain in 2012 in the USA for an “identical” spec chain. We have never had a repeat of the problem. I can only assume that the original AMEL supplies chain was not exactly to standard.

SY STELLA

Hi David,
Yes! I also have this problem. Last year I dropped it all in deep water, and bobbed around for an hour hoping to untwist it, but this year the problem was back. I have galvanised chain and the original Amel supplied swivel. I wonder if it’s something to do with the windlass, but really have no idea.

Dean
SY Stella
A54-154

Teun BAAS

Good Afternoon,

After discussing with another AMEL owner before leaving NEW CALEDONIA early May 2019 for VANUATU I decided to inspect & possibly reverse my OEM SS chain. I also expected it to be a simple straightforward exercise but found ON CLOSE examination several links to be “pitted”. When aggressively probing the pit it was fairly easy to create a bigger hole. All the pitting/holes were in the welded part of the link NOT in the actual SS link. I was told that rewelding was the solution but I wasn’t comfortable that the welder would indeed cover every compromised weld so decided to buy a new chain. No SS chain available on the island so I purchased 100 meter galvanized chain. Since I have that galvanized chain I frequently have problems with the chain being twisted/bungled; jumping the sprocket on the windless (it is the right size link) as well as bungling up in the haws pipe. I do have the original OEM SS swivel & anchor but still frequent twisting creating problems when outlaying the chain; having to empty the sail locker, open the chain locker and then manually making sure the chain will feed thru the haws pipe. Very doable on a calm early afternoon arrival; extremely annoying when arriving @ night in bad weather.

I have the feeling that the SS chain is more slippery and therefore distributes better horizontally in the anchor locker when I weigh anchor than the galvanized chain which is piling up higher.

Since May I have now 3 times deployed the complete chain to give it a chance to “unwind” and then slowly bring it back in while pushing the first 30 meters all the way toward the back of the chain locker to make sure that the remaining 70 meters is not piling too high. It helps but still issues. I never had any twisting/bungling issues during the previous 1 ½ year with the SS chain.

I am now planning, when doing my 2 year maintenance in February 2020 in BRISBANE or maybe NEW ZEALAND, to go back to a SS chain.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

PORT VILA  VANUATU

October 10, 2019 13:59:43

[...]

Matt Salatino

About 3 years ago, we performed an experiment. We removed the swivel.
After 3 years, anchoring 5 months at a time, we’ve never had a twisted chain. The anchor always came up properly.
I feel a bit more secure without having a swivel, that could be a potential failure point in my ground tackle.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Oct 11, 2019, at 1:18 AM, Ian <parkianj@...> wrote:

Eamonn,
Be sure to carry spare Allen bolts for the Kong.
Last year when changing my chain end for end I began to unscrew the Allen Key bolt that holds the Kong together. The head of the Allen bolt just came away leaving the threaded section in place, and the rest of the Kong came apart in its regular pieces.
There was nothing wrong with the s/s on the Kong, but internally the head of the bolt had gone black (like carbon) and was rotten. No evidence of deterioration on the outside.
I don’t use a swivel any more. No problems with twisted chain! But I always swap ends every year.

Ian

Ocean Hobo, SN96

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

I agree Bill

Danny

On 11 October 2019 at 10:09 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Sv Garulfo

Hi all,

Many years ago I read the misadventure of a cruiser who tried to untwist his chain by letting it and the anchor dangle out in deep water, only to find out his windlass couldn’t retrieve the full weight. Oops.

I don’t think it could happen to us, but is it damaging to the windlass? Are there any other good tips to untwist the chain?

Best,
Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Fakarava, French Polynesia

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 at 10:02, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

[...]

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

He Emonn

He First you should see that the anchors supplied on your SM NR 151are about 25 driving old.
At the time there was no choice of anchors .
We had also driven the stainless steel CQR until yesterday, but because it was bent against a spade.
Always consider how many years of the components delivered by Amel have worked.
Best Elja Röllinghoff.
SM Balu /222.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Lior Keydar

Edited

Dear David

Last year I replaced my old galvanized chain with a new (galvanized) one. the new chain got often twisted and stuck when I released it. I searched a long time for the reason.
After a while I released out all the chain in the marina and the last 20 m was completely twisted. I untwisted it and took it back in and saw in the chain locker that it is coming in correct. I think I found the reason why it happen. As I release the chain it goes out without a pressure (no weight) and the chain twists around the swivel and even stuck sometimes. When I take the chain back in, it comes correct because it is always under the pressure of the chain weight. Every time I anchored, it was twisted a bit more (out twisted, in not twisted). After using the the for a while it got better and it happen more selten. Maybe it happen when the chain is new and after using it for a while, the chain get the right form. You can see in the two small movies what I mean.

Best regards
Lior A54 #18