Topics

Twisted chain - Amel 54

David Crisp

Since buying Wilna Grace in July I've been progressively working my way through her, one job being to take out the lovely stainless steel chain and inspect it. What I thought would be a quick job turned into a marathon.  I'd hauled out ~3 deck lengths when I discovered the rest of the chain remaining in the locker was twisted into a massive ball.  Sometime later I'd finally worked the chain onto the deck and had ~1.5 deck lengths of twisted chain.  I'm unclear why this twist should have built up or over what period of time.  Wilna Grace is 12 years old and I have reason to suspect the chain may not have been fully out for some time.

Never had this problem with my Super Maramu. Anyway from now on each year I shall make a point of finding some deep water and letting all the chain out!  Has anyone else experienced this twist problem?

You did not state whether you have a swivel, which could account for some of the issue. The other thing that you should take into account is that SS chain will twist easier. The links of galvanized steel are harder to twist because they are not as slippery as SS.

--
CW Bill Rouse Amel Yacht Owners School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 10:18 AM David Crisp <david@...> wrote:
Since buying Wilna Grace in July I've been progressively working my way through her, one job being to take out the lovely stainless steel chain and inspect it. What I thought would be a quick job turned into a marathon.  I'd hauled out ~3 deck lengths when I discovered the rest of the chain remaining in the locker was twisted into a massive ball.  Sometime later I'd finally worked the chain onto the deck and had ~1.5 deck lengths of twisted chain.  I'm unclear why this twist should have built up or over what period of time.  Wilna Grace is 12 years old and I have reason to suspect the chain may not have been fully out for some time.

Never had this problem with my Super Maramu. Anyway from now on each year I shall make a point of finding some deep water and letting all the chain out!  Has anyone else experienced this twist problem?

karkauai

I also have twisted chain after being at anchor all Summer.  The twist makes the chain jump on the gypsy every 5 meters or so.  So the fix is to find deep water and calm seas and let the chain and anchor hang for a while?  I really don’t want to do that on the deck!

Kent Robertson
Kristy
SM 243

On Oct 9, 2019, at 12:38 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

You did not state whether you have a swivel, which could account for some of the issue. The other thing that you should take into account is that SS chain will twist easier. The links of galvanized steel are harder to twist because they are not as slippery as SS.

--

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019 at 10:18 AM David Crisp <david@...> wrote:

<2019-09-23 16.37.51.jpg>

Martin Bevan

When Caduceus 54 #56 was new we had a large problem with the galvanised chain twisting and forming knots in the chain locker and jamming in the hawse pipe. This continued despite having a swivel at the anchor end and dropping the chain in deep water many times to take the twists out. Having put up with this for a number of years and some exciting anchoring issues we changed the chain in 2012 in the USA for an “identical” spec chain. We have never had a repeat of the problem. I can only assume that the original AMEL supplies chain was not exactly to standard. 

SY STELLA

Hi David,
Yes! I also have this problem. Last year I dropped it all in deep water, and bobbed around for an hour hoping to untwist it, but this year the problem was back. I have galvanised chain and the original Amel supplied swivel. I wonder if it’s something to do with the windlass, but really have no idea.   

Dean
SY Stella
A54-154

Teun BAAS

Good Afternoon,

After discussing with another AMEL owner before leaving NEW CALEDONIA early May 2019 for VANUATU I decided to inspect & possibly reverse my OEM SS chain. I also expected it to be a simple straightforward exercise but found ON CLOSE examination several links to be “pitted”. When aggressively probing the pit it was fairly easy to create a bigger hole. All the pitting/holes were in the welded part of the link NOT in the actual SS link. I was told that rewelding was the solution but I wasn’t comfortable that the welder would indeed cover every compromised weld so decided to buy a new chain. No SS chain available on the island so I purchased 100 meter galvanized chain. Since I have that galvanized chain I frequently have problems with the chain being twisted/bungled; jumping the sprocket on the windless (it is the right size link) as well as bungling up in the haws pipe. I do have the original OEM SS swivel & anchor but still frequent twisting creating problems when outlaying the chain; having to empty the sail locker, open the chain locker and then manually making sure the chain will feed thru the haws pipe. Very doable on a calm early afternoon arrival; extremely annoying when arriving @ night in bad weather.

I have the feeling that the SS chain is more slippery and therefore distributes better horizontally in the anchor locker when I weigh anchor than the galvanized chain which is piling up higher.

Since May I have now 3 times deployed the complete chain to give it a chance to “unwind” and then slowly bring it back in while pushing the first 30 meters all the way toward the back of the chain locker to make sure that the remaining 70 meters is not piling too high. It helps but still issues. I never had any twisting/bungling issues during the previous 1 ½ year with the SS chain.

I am now planning, when doing my 2 year maintenance in February 2020 in BRISBANE or maybe NEW ZEALAND, to go back to a SS chain.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

PORT VILA  VANUATU

October 10, 2019 13:59:43

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Crisp via Groups.Io
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2019 02:18
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] Twisted chain - Amel 54

David Crisp

Good point Bill.  Yes I have swivel, which added to the puzzle.
Reading other people's messages it'll be interesting to see how quickly the twist reoccurs.

David
SY Wilna Grace

Eamonn Washington

Edited

Hi

In 5 years I never had twisted chain issues, with 80m galvanised chain, anchoring about 120 times a year in the past 3 years.

I personally installed a spade anchor, with a bow shackle to 3 links of chain, then a kong swivel, then my 80m chain.  (The 3 links of chain avoid the swivel ever having a lateral load which would exceed its capabilities.)  

Regarding the stainless steel jumping on the gypsy, I believe stainless steel stretches or elongates and some links don’t fit so well on the gypsy any more.  

Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151
Currently in Denia, Spain.

Eamonn,

I will politely remind you of this:
"We encourage you to support the Amel brand and be respectful to the brand in your postings. Care should be taken to not post anything that could be considered offensive or derogatory regarding Amel, any Member, or Sponsor."
Please edit your post for two reasons: (1)You stated your opinion as fact, and (2) it was disrespectful of Amel management.

--

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 2:48 PM Eamonn Washington <eamonn.washington@...> wrote:
Hi

In 5 years I never had twisted chain issues, with 80m galvanised chain, anchoring about 120 times a year in the past 3 years.

Amel supplied, shall we say, inferior anchors to what was available in the industry.  Could be they also supplied inferior swivels.  I guess they reason owners would upgrade to modern (spade, rocna, ultra) anchors and swivels.  I personally installed a spade anchor, with a bow shackle to 3 links of chain, then a kong swivel, then my 80m chain.  (The 3 links of chain avoid the swivel ever having a lateral load which would exceed its capabilities.)  

Regarding the stainless steel jumping on the gypsy, maybe it is because stainless steel stretches and some links don’t fit so well on the gypsy any more.  

Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151

John Clark

Teun,
  I got lucky with my SM as she had brand new galvanized chain.  Previous owner bought the chain in Martinique.  Since then and innumerable anchorings  I have taken to casual shopping for new chain.  I have noted a wide variation in the coarseness of the galvanization.  The chain on Annie is not very rough on the surface and we have not had any issues with it passing through the windlass or twisting.  

Granted most of our anchoring has been in relatively shallow water compared to the Pacific however we spent several months exploring tidal rivers in the US where the current changes direction every few hours...swinging the boat 180 degrees...in random rotations. Never had an issue.  

I think you are right that is chain is slippery with itself so it can untangle more easily.   Annie's smooth galvanized chain probably has some of those properties.  Coarse chain might behave differently.  

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019, 11:04 PM Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Good Afternoon,

After discussing with another AMEL owner before leaving NEW CALEDONIA early May 2019 for VANUATU I decided to inspect & possibly reverse my OEM SS chain. I also expected it to be a simple straightforward exercise but found ON CLOSE examination several links to be “pitted”. When aggressively probing the pit it was fairly easy to create a bigger hole. All the pitting/holes were in the welded part of the link NOT in the actual SS link. I was told that rewelding was the solution but I wasn’t comfortable that the welder would indeed cover every compromised weld so decided to buy a new chain. No SS chain available on the island so I purchased 100 meter galvanized chain. Since I have that galvanized chain I frequently have problems with the chain being twisted/bungled; jumping the sprocket on the windless (it is the right size link) as well as bungling up in the haws pipe. I do have the original OEM SS swivel & anchor but still frequent twisting creating problems when outlaying the chain; having to empty the sail locker, open the chain locker and then manually making sure the chain will feed thru the haws pipe. Very doable on a calm early afternoon arrival; extremely annoying when arriving @ night in bad weather.

I have the feeling that the SS chain is more slippery and therefore distributes better horizontally in the anchor locker when I weigh anchor than the galvanized chain which is piling up higher.

Since May I have now 3 times deployed the complete chain to give it a chance to “unwind” and then slowly bring it back in while pushing the first 30 meters all the way toward the back of the chain locker to make sure that the remaining 70 meters is not piling too high. It helps but still issues. I never had any twisting/bungling issues during the previous 1 ½ year with the SS chain.

I am now planning, when doing my 2 year maintenance in February 2020 in BRISBANE or maybe NEW ZEALAND, to go back to a SS chain.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

PORT VILA  VANUATU

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> On Behalf Of David Crisp via Groups.Io

Gregory Shea

FWIW I never had a chain twist problem until I tried the arrangement described by Eamonn. With 10mm galvanised chain, three chain links followed by the kong swivel I immediately had twist problems and the chain wanted to jump off the gypsy. I put the kong swivel back on the (Mantus) anchor shank and the twist went away. My experience made me wonder if the kong swivel is only effective if one half is held rigid by the shank. It also made me consider switching to a Mantus swivel to avoid side loading the kong.
Did someone say that that anchors and anchoring are a black art?

Greg Shea
Sharki 133 Cap des iles
Preveza

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Eamonn Washington <eamonn.washington@...>
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2019 3:48 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Twisted chain - Amel 54

Hi

Amel supplied, shall we say, inferior anchors to what was available in the industry.  Could be they also supplied inferior swivels.  I guess they reason owners would upgrade to modern (spade, rocna, ultra) anchors and swivels.  I personally installed a spade anchor, with a bow shackle to 3 links of chain, then a kong swivel, then my 80m chain.  (The 3 links of chain avoid the swivel ever having a lateral load which would exceed its capabilities.)  

Regarding the stainless steel jumping on the gypsy, maybe it is because stainless steel stretches and some links don’t fit so well on the gypsy any more.  

Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151

John,

You reminded me of an experience I had. I bought new galvanized chain from a marine shop in Europe. When it was delivered, it was obvious to me that it was old chain that had been regalvanized. I refused it and also refused the replacement shipment for the same reason. I discussed it with the shop owner. I believe that he truly didn't know that the chain distributor was cheating him, but he admitted that the price was too good to be true.

I finally received 100 meters of new galvanized chain. 

Ask yourself if you are sure that you could tell the difference between new and newly regalvanized chain. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Yacht Owners School - www.AmelYachtOwnersSchool.com
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019, 6:08 PM John Clark <john.biohead@...> wrote:
Teun,
  I got lucky with my SM as she had brand new galvanized chain.  Previous owner bought the chain in Martinique.  Since then and innumerable anchorings  I have taken to casual shopping for new chain.  I have noted a wide variation in the coarseness of the galvanization.  The chain on Annie is not very rough on the surface and we have not had any issues with it passing through the windlass or twisting.  

Granted most of our anchoring has been in relatively shallow water compared to the Pacific however we spent several months exploring tidal rivers in the US where the current changes direction every few hours...swinging the boat 180 degrees...in random rotations. Never had an issue.  

I think you are right that is chain is slippery with itself so it can untangle more easily.   Annie's smooth galvanized chain probably has some of those properties.  Coarse chain might behave differently.  

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019, 11:04 PM Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Good Afternoon,

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

PORT VILA  VANUATU

Ian

Eamonn,
Be sure to carry spare Allen bolts for the Kong.
Last year when changing my chain end for end I began to unscrew the Allen Key bolt that holds the Kong together. The head of the Allen bolt just came away leaving the threaded section in place, and the rest of the Kong came apart in its regular pieces.
There was nothing wrong with the s/s on the Kong, but internally the head of the bolt had gone black (like carbon) and was rotten. No evidence of deterioration on the outside.
I don’t use a swivel any more. No problems with twisted chain! But I always swap ends every year.

Ian

Ocean Hobo, SN96

James Alton

Greg,

After a season of using our new Mantus without a swivel, I have decided that for next season we will add a  Mantus swivel since we occassionally have a twist or two in the chain.  It would seem that the anchor would rotate and unwind any twists but  I have discovered that the Mantus anchor is quite sensitive to water flow when the boat is moving and orients itself with the claw portion towards the direction of flow.  This tendency apparently prevents the twists from unwinding. This means that if we are moving forward while raising the anchor, the anchor will contact the roller either upside down or sideways almost every time.  While the anchor will flip rightside up  (with a big bang) if you keep pulling I worry about damàge to the bow or having the anchor roll off of the side the roller.  I have found that if we are in reverse and moving at a knot and a half or more that the anchor has oriented itself right side up everytime so far.  It has also given me a lot of backing practice.   For those with a  Maramu,  I can say for sure that the anchor locker easily holds 100 meters of 8mm chain without any need to lay it out a particular way.  In fact I am going to increase that to 120 meters.  I am using the Aqua7 chain which is grade 70 and is supposed to be stronger than the grade 40 10mm.  I like the reduced weight and having a longer rode.

James Alton
SV Sueno
Nafpaktos, Greece

Sent from Samsung tablet.

-------- Original message --------
Date: 10/11/19 2:16 AM (GMT+02:00)

FWIW I never had a chain twist problem until I tried the arrangement described by Eamonn. With 10mm galvanised chain, three chain links followed by the kong swivel I immediately had twist problems and the chain wanted to jump off the gypsy. I put the kong swivel back on the (Mantus) anchor shank and the twist went away. My experience made me wonder if the kong swivel is only effective if one half is held rigid by the shank. It also made me consider switching to a Mantus swivel to avoid side loading the kong.
Did someone say that that anchors and anchoring are a black art?

Greg Shea
Sharki 133 Cap des iles
Preveza

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of Eamonn Washington <eamonn.washington@...>
Sent: Thursday, October 10, 2019 3:48 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>

Hi

Amel supplied, shall we say, inferior anchors to what was available in the industry.  Could be they also supplied inferior swivels.  I guess they reason owners would upgrade to modern (spade, rocna, ultra) anchors and swivels.  I personally installed a spade anchor, with a bow shackle to 3 links of chain, then a kong swivel, then my 80m chain.  (The 3 links of chain avoid the swivel ever having a lateral load which would exceed its capabilities.)  

Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151

Matt Salatino

About 3 years ago, we performed an experiment. We removed the swivel.
After 3 years, anchoring 5 months at a time, we’ve never had a twisted chain. The anchor always came up properly.
I feel a bit more secure without having a swivel, that could be a potential failure point in my ground tackle.

~~~⛵️~~~Matt

On Oct 11, 2019, at 1:18 AM, Ian <parkianj@...> wrote:

Eamonn,
Be sure to carry spare Allen bolts for the Kong.
Last year when changing my chain end for end I began to unscrew the Allen Key bolt that holds the Kong together. The head of the Allen bolt just came away leaving the threaded section in place, and the rest of the Kong came apart in its regular pieces.
There was nothing wrong with the s/s on the Kong, but internally the head of the bolt had gone black (like carbon) and was rotten. No evidence of deterioration on the outside.
I don’t use a swivel any more. No problems with twisted chain! But I always swap ends every year.

Ian

Ocean Hobo, SN96

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

I agree Bill

Danny

On 11 October 2019 at 10:09 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Eamonn,

"We encourage you to support the Amel brand and be respectful to the brand in your postings. Care should be taken to not post anything that could be considered offensive or derogatory regarding Amel, any Member, or Sponsor."
Please edit your post for two reasons: (1)You stated your opinion as fact, and (2) it was disrespectful of Amel management.

--

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 2:48 PM Eamonn Washington < eamonn.washington@...> wrote:
Hi

Amel supplied, shall we say, inferior anchors to what was available in the industry.  Could be they also supplied inferior swivels.  I guess they reason owners would upgrade to modern (spade, rocna, ultra) anchors and swivels.  I personally installed a spade anchor, with a bow shackle to 3 links of chain, then a kong swivel, then my 80m chain.  (The 3 links of chain avoid the swivel ever having a lateral load which would exceed its capabilities.)  

Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151

Sv Garulfo

Hi all,

Many years ago I read the misadventure of a cruiser who tried to untwist his chain by letting it and the anchor dangle out in deep water, only to find out his windlass couldn’t retrieve the full weight. Oops. 

I don’t think it could happen to us, but is it damaging to the windlass? Are there any other good tips to untwist the chain?

Best,
Thomas 
GARULFO 
A54-122
Fakarava, French Polynesia 

On Mon, 14 Oct 2019 at 10:02, Danny and Yvonne SIMMS <simms@...> wrote:

I agree Bill

Danny

On 11 October 2019 at 10:09 CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

Eamonn,

--

On Thu, Oct 10, 2019 at 2:48 PM Eamonn Washington < eamonn.washington@...> wrote:
Hi

Eamonn Washington
Travel Bug
Super Maramu #151

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

He Emonn

He First you should see that the anchors supplied on your SM NR 151are about 25 driving old.
At the time there was no choice of anchors .
We had also driven the stainless steel CQR until yesterday, but because it was bent against a spade.
Always consider how many years of the components delivered by Amel have worked.
Best Elja Röllinghoff.
SM Balu /222.

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Lior Keydar

Edited

Dear David

Last year I replaced my old galvanized chain with a new (galvanized) one. the new chain got often twisted and stuck when I released it. I searched a long time for the reason.
After a while I released out all the chain in the marina and the last 20 m was completely twisted. I untwisted it and took it back in and saw in the chain locker that it is coming in correct. I think I found the reason why it happen. As I release the chain it goes out without a pressure (no weight) and the chain twists around the swivel and even stuck sometimes. When I take the chain back in, it comes correct because it is always under the pressure of the chain weight. Every time I anchored, it was twisted a bit more (out twisted, in not twisted). After using the the for a while it got better and it happen more selten. Maybe it happen when the chain is new and after using it for a while, the chain get the right form. You can see in the two small movies what I mean.

Best regards
Lior A54 #18