unknown switch

Eloi Bamberg

Hi,
Working on the electric circuit today, I found a switch behind the box of the 220v panel. Does anybody know what it is for?

regards,

Eloi
SM2K 426 Red Lion

Ian Townsend

It is the "secret switch". It stops the boat from being stolen. The boat won't start unless it is in the "up" position. That's why it is hidden.

Ian & Margaret
S/V Loca Lola II
SM153

On Mar 30, 2021, at 3:23 PM, Eloi Bamberg <eloi.bamberg@...> wrote:

Hi,
Working on the electric circuit today, I found a switch behind the box of the 220v panel. Does anybody know what it is for?
<switch2.jpg><switch1.jpg>

regards,

Eloi
SM2K 426 Red Lion

Alexandre Uster von Baar

That is the "secret" Switch to cut off power to your engine starting key.

Sincerely, Alexandre

On Tuesday, March 30, 2021, 02:23:39 PM CDT, Eloi Bamberg <eloi.bamberg@...> wrote:

Hi,
Working on the electric circuit today, I found a switch behind the box of the 220v panel. Does anybody know what it is for?

regards,

Eloi
SM2K 426 Red Lion

Eloi Bamberg

Great, thank you :-)
now it is a bit less "secret" :-)
I think, i will ad a relay (normally open) with a remote control, much easier to activate

Eloi

Courtney Gorman

Its a kill switch flip it then no one can steel your boat.

Only issue is if you forget to turn it back on then need to start your engine in a hurry
Ceers
Courtney
svTrippin
54#101
St thomas

Working on the electric circuit today, I found a switch behind the box of the 220v panel. Does anybody know what it is for?

regards,

Eloi
SM2K 426 Red Lion

Jeff Williams

Is this on all SMs?    I can’t see it on my boat.
Jeff
S/V Spruzzo SM#379

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 9:44 PM Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Its a kill switch flip it then no one can steel your boat.

Only issue is if you forget to turn it back on then need to start your engine in a hurry
Ceers
Courtney
svTrippin
54#101
St thomas

Working on the electric circuit today, I found a switch behind the box of the 220v panel. Does anybody know what it is for?

regards,

Eloi
SM2K 426 Red Lion

Alexandre Uster von Baar

Look on the other side, mine was on the starvoard side.  I have seen some on the port side (when you open the hatch for the auto-pilot);\

On Tuesday, March 30, 2021, 02:59:04 PM CDT, Jeff Williams <jeff99williams@...> wrote:

Is this on all SMs?    I can’t see it on my boat.
Jeff
S/V Spruzzo SM#379

On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 9:44 PM Courtney Gorman via groups.io <Itsfun1=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Its a kill switch flip it then no one can steel your boat.

Only issue is if you forget to turn it back on then need to start your engine in a hurry
Ceers
Courtney
svTrippin
54#101
St thomas

Working on the electric circuit today, I found a switch behind the box of the 220v panel. Does anybody know what it is for?

regards,

Eloi
SM2K 426 Red Lion

It was originally on all SMs, but changed sides for some reason. Open the cabinet above the galley sink and look at both sides. Sometimes when new electronics are added it gets buried under a bundle of wire.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar