From: Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...>
To: main <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Sent: Sun, Mar 22, 2020 10:19 am
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] USA only insurance

Hi all,

We are leaving Panama soon and due to Covid-19 are abandoning our plans for the South Pacific this year. In the next week, our intent is to sail directly to Hawaii and possibly spend the hurricane season in Alaska before heading back to the US West Coast.

Our current insurance does not cover US waters so I need to quickly find a policy that will cover us. We will mostly double hand and of course Hawaii-Alaska-US West Coast involves some offshore passages. We've got 16,000 nm on Tengah already, so reasonably experienced.

Any suggestions for US insurance? FYI Tengah is US documented and I'm American. I've reached out to a few brokers but would like some tips from those of you who spend all of you time in the US. Thanks.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Dan Carlson

Hi Scott, we are currently covered under the Jackline policy (Gowie Group) go to jackline@....

We also have a friend who is an agent that has access to several other underwriters and helped us with a good review of our current policy as well as here offerings.  She did have another good option but recommended we were better of staying with our current policy. But email her at laura@...

Best regards, Daniel and Lori Carlson on sv BeBe, SM#387

On Sun, Mar 22, 2020, 10:19 AM Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
[...]

Ken Powers SV Aquarius

Aquarius is also covered by a Jackline Policy.  We "believe" Jackline has a good policy....  But, we have not had a claim, and I don't believe you really know the quality of your insurance until you have made a claim.  Thus, I don't want to find out the quality of our Jackline Policy!

Ken
Currently In anchored in Krabi Thailand
Aquarius

Robert Linley

Our SM is US flagged and has been insured by Chubb for many years. Broker detail below. The policy is very good and our stolen dinghy claim was paid in full quickly. Also I keep the boat in Grenada and have in water coverage up to 12.30 degN.year round.
Cost has gone up in the last year though.

Bob
SV Minaxi SM6
Grenada

Alicia Pulanco
Yacht Client Services Representative
Your partner in a changing world
Jack Martin & Associates | 135 Old Solomons Island Road Annapolis MD 21401
Office: 443-433-5760 | Internal: x2154 | Fax: 410-626-9966
Alicia.Pulanco@... |jackmartin.com

logo

On Mar 22, 2020, at 2:18 PM, Ken Powers SV Aquarius <ken@...> wrote:

Aquarius is also covered by a Jackline Policy.  We "believe" Jackline has a good policy....  But, we have not had a claim, and I don't believe you really know the quality of your insurance until you have made a claim.  Thus, I don't want to find out the quality of our Jackline Policy!

Ken
Currently In anchored in Krabi Thailand
Aquarius

Matt Salatino

Gary Golden,
Manifest Marine

On Sunday, March 22, 2020, 8:19:56 AM CST, Scott SV Tengah <scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

[...]

So Gary Golden is Al Golden's son. I believe Al, whose company was IMIS, started the Jackline policy underwritten by Markel Insurance Co. Then (likely with Gary in the mix) IMIS merged (or was sold to) Gowrie and offers the Jackline policy thru Gowrie. Not sure if the IMIS brand is still there. Anyway, it sounds like Gary has now gone off with a new product-branch-marketer-whatever to offer another substitute product.  Certainly worth looking into as Al and Gary are both stand-up professionals.
Craig