Topics

Useful addition to Volvo D3-110 engine's sea water circuit

Arno Luijten

When working on our D3-110I-rev. C engine, I discovered a shattered impeller. I hate that as it means you need to open the intercooler to get the remains of the impeller out of the system. Opening up that thing means you need new O-rings to re-assemble that thing.
So when finding out which parts I need to order for our engine I noticed something in the documentation. Volvo apparently noticed the same problem at some point. For the 130 HP and higher versions they included a sea water strainer in the system. Why the 110 HP version was not given this option is beyond me, maybe because the cooling capacity of system for the 110 version has more headroom.
It may be if you have a D,E,F,G or H version of this engine this filter is already present, I'm not sure. If not a similar filter can be installed as well (different version!)
Anyway, if you look at the enclosed screen-print you can see the hose between the sea water pump and the intercooler can be replaced with some alternate parts to provide a sea water strainer to catch impeller bits.

I have now ordered the following parts:

Hose 3817382
Hoseclamp 994562 (3 pce)
Hose 3817383
Filter assy. 3812612
Hoseclamp 994564

To replace the hose between the pump and the intercooler.

I also got hold of the correct Workshop manual for the C-version of this engine. I uploaded it to the "Files / Volvo Penta /" section of the forum.

Another thing I did is order a new lid for the (Vetus) sea water strainer for the main sea water intake (from Amel). I added a garden-hose connector to the lid using a Dremel and a drill. I can now connect a garden hose to the water-intake to flush the sea water system when required (lay-up). By connecting this to a water-tap with adequate pressure you will push water trough the A/C, Fridge and Anchor wash system without running either of those.
Flushing the engine and genset is also possible however you must take care as closing the valve to the manifold for the above mentioned systems creates pressure in the suction part of the engine's sea water system. In my case it blew off one of the bellows of the transmission oil cooler. No damage occurred, but I needed to remount it. So what I did is start the engine and immediately after opened the tap. Be careful not to rev. the engine as your average tap can hardly keep up with the demand at idle.
Alternatively you can also use a big water resevoir to feed water to the engine instead of connecting the hose to a watertap.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Arno Luijten

I was looking a bit more in detail at this strange difference in having a filter or not and later it became clear to me that Volvo Penta only issues this filter to engines connected to AquaDrives, a special tailpiece for planing motorboats. These things have the waterintake integrated in the sterndrive. This why VP puts the filter after the pump.

Nevertheless the filter is still a useful addition for inboard engines with a normal strainer.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Arno Luijten

For those interested, here is a picture of the strainer in real life. Now where is my boat ....

Cheers,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121