Valeo 28.5 V 60 A specification and regulator

EricOpdeweegh

Hi Amelians,

We have become the proud owner of sv Abayomi (ex Nathape) since June this year and have sailed her back to Holland from Gaeta in Italy to be able to prepare her in the coming 1.5 year for our circumnavigation marked on the Calendar to commence in July 2023
We are now starting to look into the conversion from Gel to LiFePo4
As we understand the Alternator of our Volvo TMD22A needs protection.

But first we would like to understand how the present situation is regulated. We have the support of a marine electrician who will draw up and assit with the conversion as we are beginners in the world of electrons

Can anyone assist us and tell us what the specifications of our Valeo ZV3729H alternator are and how the current system works? How is the temperature is regulated? Is there a regulator at the moment?

Thanks for the replies

Eric & Els Opdeweegh
sv Abayomi
SM 158
Currently in Holland

Jérémy

Hi,

I have a Valéo 60A 28V A14N118M alternator on my SM121, and I'm actually doing the Lithium conversion.

This alternator has an integrated "dumb" regulator, but we can easily disconnect it to use an external regulator compatible with Lithium charging. I choose Balmar MC-624 regulator, with the optional "Alternator temperature sensor". I'm very pleased with it. I didn't took the "Battery temperature sensor" option, since my BMS is already monitoring the battery temperatures, and will be in charge of disconnecting loads/charges. The BMS can disconnect properly the alternator with a simple relay on the Ignition wire of the regulator.

To protect the alternator against unexpected disconnections from the batteries, which would damage it, I added the Sterling Alternator protector (very simple to connect : one wire on the B+, the other one on the B- ).

If you go with Balmar regulator, here are the wiring instructions. You will have to open the integrated regulator on the Valeo. You should have a yellow and a blue wire :

  • Splice the yellow wire and connect it to the B- of the alternator,
  • Splice the blue wire and take it to the Balmar regulator blue field wire.

The orange wire on the Balmar is not used.

For the rest, the Balmar documentation and the Sterling Alternator protector documentation are very explanatory.

Hope this helps you !

Jérémy
SM#121

Le 01/11/2021 à 09:51, EricOpdeweegh a écrit :

[...]

Hi Jeremy,
Thank you for your extensive explanation . This helps a lot.
Did you make a electrical drawing of your setup?
Appreciate to know more about how you change to Lithium and what equipment you changed and added.

Thanks so far , great help.

Eric
Sv Abayomi
SM 158

[...]