vetus coupling removal

Herbert Lackner

today I tried to align the engine and the c-drive. unfortunately I was not able to remove the vetus coupling from the shaft, tried it also with a puller but without success.  Are there any tricks, special tools,... how this can be done? I remember Eric uploaded a foto showing the tool he made for that, but could not find it. any help welcome

herbert, SN120, kali mera, Mazatlan

Davi Rozgonyi

Hey there, wiser minds than mine will answer I'm sure, but I'm just here to remind you to get or make that alignment blank for this job. Skilled professionals were unable to align mine without it....they tried, and my vetus coupling blew a hundred hours later. You will very likely not align it correctly without it. Do yourself a favor if you haven't already, get or make that blank! 

Cheers, 
Davi

Herbert Lackner

finally removed it. what you need is a puller, a hammer and 6 hours :-)  . alignment was easy then using the tool.

santorin owners with a shaft alternator: the "special tool" should be 45 mm longer than for the SM, due to the pulley of the shaft alternator. it still works but would be better if I had made it longer.

herbert

eric freedman

Hi,

Here is the photo. Once you have it apart have a machine shop open up the hole a few thousands of an inch.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Herbert Lackner
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 11:09 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] vetus coupling removal

today I tried to align the engine and the c-drive. unfortunately I was not able to remove the vetus coupling from the shaft, tried it also with a puller but without success.  Are there any tricks, special tools,... how this can be done? I remember Eric uploaded a foto showing the tool he made for that, but could not find it. any help welcome

Herbert Lackner

after aligning the engine with the "special tool" it runs smooth without vibrations. It took me 4 hours to lift the engine, do the alignment... and 6 hours to get the vetus coupling of the shaft. Because I had problems to take the coupling off I first tried to align it without the tool - impossible. Next day I was able to remove the coupling, then all was easy using the tool.

our alignment story:

In 2016 we have been in Martinique, the engine vibrations got worse, so we decided to make a gift to Kali Mera and buy her new engine mounts (I think they have never been changed, last ~ 20 years on the SN). I asked Amel in Martinique if they could change the mounts, they told me that they are not doing that but they have a local partner that does this job. When the recommended mechanic changed the mounts I asked him why he does not use the Amel tool to make the alignment. He replied that he has done this on 25 SMs in the last years and never used a tool, he is able to do the alignment without that. Recommended by Amel, an experience Expert, so I thought that all is good.  It was not.    

But now it is :-)  and it goes to "lessons learned"

fair winds, herbert
SN120, KALI MERA

MICHELE LUCCIOLA

Hi Herbert,
I did this job the last year....the only suggestion I can tell you is to remove the  gearbox with the  the vetus coupling installed (just dismount the fixings on the flange on the engine); in this way you can easily remove the axle on a bench because the space to work with the engine installed is very unconfortable. In fact also if you want to use an extractor (I did one with long arms) you have to pull the engine back to have a little bit of room....anyway you have to use not gentle manners to have a good results...but is better to work on a bench that in the engine compartment...in this way you can also change the  seal of the gearbox easily once removed the little shaft.
Just for your use i attach a pdf in which there is an explanation of the job....but I prefer to put the gearbox out of the boat with the shaft attached and to do the job in a confortable and safe way...
regards
Michele

eric freedman

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for the excellent write-up of the work on your C drive. Do you happen to have a version in English?

I could not open it to cut out portions to translate.

Thanks

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of MICHELE LUCCIOLA
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 12:26 PM
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] vetus coupling removal

Hi Herbert,
I did this job the last year....the only suggestion I can tell you is to remove the  gearbox with the  the vetus coupling installed (just dismount the fixings on the flange on the engine); in this way you can easily remove the axle on a bench because the space to work with the engine installed is very unconfortable. In fact also if you want to use an extractor (I did one with long arms) you have to pull the engine back to have a little bit of room....anyway you have to use not gentle manners to have a good results...but is better to work on a bench that in the engine compartment...in this way you can also change the  seal of the gearbox easily once removed the little shaft.
Just for your use i attach a pdf in which there is an explanation of the job....but I prefer to put the gearbox out of the boat with the shaft attached and to do the job in a confortable and safe way...
regards
Michele

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Hi Amelias and Eric

I tried to remove the Vetus coupling from the shaft and I was not able to remove it even not with a strong puller and heat.

Maybe someone out there has another great Idea?

@Eric, is saw in an old treat from 2019 you did it by pushing with screws/bolts from the back but I cannot undo the existing screw’s. I suppose you saw it away and used new 10mm bolts for the tool.

I’ll make some photos when I’m done and send it to the forum.

Thanks for advice and best regards

Ruedi Waldispuehl

"SY WASABI"

Amel 54. #55

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von eric freedman <kimberlite@...>
Antworten an: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Datum: Donnerstag, 12. Dezember 2019 um 17:11
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Betreff: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] vetus coupling removal

Hi,

Here is the photo. Once you have it apart have a machine shop open up the hole a few thousands of an inch.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Herbert Lackner

Herbert Lackner

Hi Ruedi,

heating, spraying, puller, nothing worked.

I remember it took 5 hours using a heavy hammer and a piece of wood:  tapping, hammering, then brute force ...

fair winds, herbert
SN 120 KALI MERA

Ian Park

Herbert

Well done! Mine took me a few hours too. I used a chisel and hammer after soaking in Corrosion X (on the advice of Craig). Heating with a blow torch was the secret.
I used the tool, but the connection from my gearbox is a spider (four arms) rather than a circular plate, so using feeler gauges was a little more tricky than when the gearbox is fitted with a circular plate. I got a short piece of 35mm tubing which fits inside the Amel tool and slides along as an extension to the drive shaft. You can then slide this tube up to the centre of the Gearbox to get the direct line of the 35mm shaft.

After this my engine still vibrated at the C Drive end. I’ve just replaced the rubber tube on the C Drive foot bolt which was quite worn. Easy Job. Will know on re- launch next week what difference that has made.

Best Wishes

Ian

'Ocean Hobo’ SN 96

eric freedman

Hi Ruedi,

Yes, you must cut the existing bolts.

You use threaded rod and nylocks to replace the bolts.

When you have the disk off , have a machine shop cut a few thousands of an inch off  the interior of the dick mounting hole.

I hope these pictures help.

Fair Winds

Eric

Kimberlite Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of Rudolf Waldispuehl
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2021 4:37 AM

Hi Amelias and Eric

I tried to remove the Vetus coupling from the shaft and I was not able to remove it even not with a strong puller and heat.

@Eric, is saw in an old treat from 2019 you did it by pushing with screws/bolts from the back but I cannot undo the existing screw’s. I suppose you saw it away and used new 10mm bolts for the tool.

Ruedi Waldispuehl

"SY WASABI"

Amel 54. #55

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> im Auftrag von eric freedman <kimberlite@...>

Hi,

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

eric freedman

I forgot to mention,

I just replaced my engine with the new model of the 4JH3 with a 4jh4.

The disk came off easily after having it machined 4 years ago.

Fair Winds

Eric

Hi Amelias and Eric

Ruedi Waldispuehl

"SY WASABI"

Amel 54. #55

Hi,

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

eric freedman

Sorry the word is DISK

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io On Behalf Of eric freedman
Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2021 2:18 PM

Hi Ruedi,

When you have the disk off , have a machine shop cut a few thousands of an inch off  the interior of the dick mounting hole.

Fair Winds

Eric

Hi Amelias and Eric

Ruedi Waldispuehl

"SY WASABI"

Amel 54. #55

Hi,

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

Rudolf Waldispuehl

Hi Eric

Thanks a lot for your information. I’m currently working on it by pushing with your concept and at the same time pulling with a puller on the other side.

But still very tough job. I managed to move it 1mm but still no big progress. Will work on it mm by mm  (4/100 inch).

Why you used threaded rod instead of new bolts with same size?

Best regards

Ruedi,

WASABI A54 #55

Datum: Donnerstag, 6. Mai 2021 um 20:18

Hi Ruedi,

Fair Winds

Eric

Hi Amelias and Eric

Ruedi Waldispuehl

"SY WASABI"

Amel 54. #55

Hi,

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

Danny and Yvonne SIMMS

Hi Herbert and others,

Just remember that everything you do to the shaft coming out of the C drive you are doing to the C drive. The shaft goes through a lip seal to a bearing to bevel gears. Every hammer blow hits those bevel gears and the bearings. The heat applied gets to the lip seal. Think about it. 

And I ask why. By the simple expedient of cutting the heads off the bolts holding the vetus coupling together I avoided the need to remove the c drive connection. I then replaced those bolts with a high tensile rod threaded each end and two nuts.

In separate operations at different times I have: replaced the vetus rubber bushes, replaced the gear box, changed the engine and changed the engine mounts. None of these required the removal of the coupling off the c drive shaft

The first of these was the rubber bushes. I tried to get the c drive connection off, and like you all found it very hard. Because there was a simple, non damaging alternative I wasn't prepared to subject my c drive to abuse. 

Regards

Danny

SM 299 Ocean Pearl

On 07 May 2021 at 00:57 Herbert Lackner <herbert@...> wrote:

Hi Ruedi,

heating, spraying, puller, nothing worked.

I remember it took 5 hours using a heavy hammer and a piece of wood:  tapping, hammering, then brute force ...

fair winds, herbert
SN 120 KALI MERA

eric freedman

Ruedi,

I don’t know the configuration of the 54 but on the 53 you cannot remove the bolt without cutting it – therefore you cannot put a bolt back in.

Possibly the 54 is different.

Fair Winds

Eric

Sent: Thursday, May 06, 2021 3:22 PM

Hi Eric

Thanks a lot for your information. I’m currently working on it by pushing with your concept and at the same time pulling with a puller on the other side.

But still very tough job. I managed to move it 1mm but still no big progress. Will work on it mm by mm  (4/100 inch).

Best regards

Ruedi,

WASABI A54 #55

Hi Ruedi,

Fair Winds

Eric

Hi Amelias and Eric

Ruedi Waldispuehl

"SY WASABI"

Amel 54. #55

Hi,

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

eric freedman

I would also pound on it with a heavy mallet and use plenty of PB Blaster.

Hi Eric

Best regards

Ruedi,

WASABI A54 #55

Hi Ruedi,

Fair Winds

Eric

Hi Amelias and Eric

Ruedi Waldispuehl

"SY WASABI"

Amel 54. #55

Hi,

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

Paul Harries

Have you tried a small compressed air powered impact hammer? 

On Thu, May 6, 2021 at 20:05, eric freedman
<kimberlite@...> wrote:

I would also pound on it with a heavy mallet and use plenty of PB Blaster.

Hi Eric

Best regards

Ruedi,

WASABI A54 #55

Hi Ruedi,

Fair Winds

Eric

Hi Amelias and Eric

Ruedi Waldispuehl

"SY WASABI"

Amel 54. #55

Hi,

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

Herbert Lackner

Danny,  the Setup on the SN is a different than the SM. No disk brake, but the big pulley for the shaft alternator. I had to realign the engine to get rid of the vibrations and found no other way than to remove the coupling and align it with the special tool. Also the connection to the gearbox is a little bit different. How did you do the alignment without the special tool and the coupling connected? I think it is not possible to do that on the SN without removing the coupling.  After 1 hour tapping it started to move for about 1 mm, then it was a mm by mm job. This was one of the very rare moments I would have been selling KALI MERA to anyone who walked by...

Ian, I did the realignment in 2019, after getting the coupling off it was an easy job, but if I had made the special tool a little bit longer it would have been better, because the setup on the SN is different from the SM. The connection to the gearbox an KALI MERA is the same as on OCEAN HOBO.  After cleaning the shaft and the coupling it slides on and off easy.  After realigning the vibrations are almost gone, but in some conditions (big waves from the side) it is still not perfect.  Please let me know if the change of the rubber tube helped on your boat. Have you been able to move the c-drive with your hands - is there any movement if you pull?  I tried it on KALI MERA and there is no movement at all, but I am not sure if I should open the seal next time when she is on the hard and check that. Greetings to Linda, I hope you are all fine

fair winds, herbert