Topics

vetus coupling removal

Herbert Lackner

today I tried to align the engine and the c-drive. unfortunately I was not able to remove the vetus coupling from the shaft, tried it also with a puller but without success.  Are there any tricks, special tools,... how this can be done? I remember Eric uploaded a foto showing the tool he made for that, but could not find it. any help welcome

herbert, SN120, kali mera, Mazatlan

Davi Rozgonyi

Hey there, wiser minds than mine will answer I'm sure, but I'm just here to remind you to get or make that alignment blank for this job. Skilled professionals were unable to align mine without it....they tried, and my vetus coupling blew a hundred hours later. You will very likely not align it correctly without it. Do yourself a favor if you haven't already, get or make that blank! 

Cheers, 
Davi

Herbert Lackner

finally removed it. what you need is a puller, a hammer and 6 hours :-)  . alignment was easy then using the tool.

santorin owners with a shaft alternator: the "special tool" should be 45 mm longer than for the SM, due to the pulley of the shaft alternator. it still works but would be better if I had made it longer.

herbert

eric freedman

Hi,

Here is the photo. Once you have it apart have a machine shop open up the hole a few thousands of an inch.

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of Herbert Lackner
Sent: Tuesday, December 10, 2019 11:09 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] vetus coupling removal

today I tried to align the engine and the c-drive. unfortunately I was not able to remove the vetus coupling from the shaft, tried it also with a puller but without success.  Are there any tricks, special tools,... how this can be done? I remember Eric uploaded a foto showing the tool he made for that, but could not find it. any help welcome

herbert, SN120, kali mera, Mazatlan

Herbert Lackner

after aligning the engine with the "special tool" it runs smooth without vibrations. It took me 4 hours to lift the engine, do the alignment... and 6 hours to get the vetus coupling of the shaft. Because I had problems to take the coupling off I first tried to align it without the tool - impossible. Next day I was able to remove the coupling, then all was easy using the tool.

our alignment story:

In 2016 we have been in Martinique, the engine vibrations got worse, so we decided to make a gift to Kali Mera and buy her new engine mounts (I think they have never been changed, last ~ 20 years on the SN). I asked Amel in Martinique if they could change the mounts, they told me that they are not doing that but they have a local partner that does this job. When the recommended mechanic changed the mounts I asked him why he does not use the Amel tool to make the alignment. He replied that he has done this on 25 SMs in the last years and never used a tool, he is able to do the alignment without that. Recommended by Amel, an experience Expert, so I thought that all is good.  It was not.    

But now it is :-)  and it goes to "lessons learned"

fair winds, herbert
SN120, KALI MERA

MICHELE LUCCIOLA

Hi Herbert,
I did this job the last year....the only suggestion I can tell you is to remove the  gearbox with the  the vetus coupling installed (just dismount the fixings on the flange on the engine); in this way you can easily remove the axle on a bench because the space to work with the engine installed is very unconfortable. In fact also if you want to use an extractor (I did one with long arms) you have to pull the engine back to have a little bit of room....anyway you have to use not gentle manners to have a good results...but is better to work on a bench that in the engine compartment...in this way you can also change the  seal of the gearbox easily once removed the little shaft.
Just for your use i attach a pdf in which there is an explanation of the job....but I prefer to put the gearbox out of the boat with the shaft attached and to do the job in a confortable and safe way...
regards
Michele

eric freedman

Hi Michelle,

Thank you for the excellent write-up of the work on your C drive. Do you happen to have a version in English?

I could not open it to cut out portions to translate.

Thanks

Fair Winds

Eric

Amel Super Maramu #376

From: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io [mailto:main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io] On Behalf Of MICHELE LUCCIOLA
Sent: Wednesday, January 22, 2020 12:26 PM
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] vetus coupling removal

Hi Herbert,
I did this job the last year....the only suggestion I can tell you is to remove the  gearbox with the  the vetus coupling installed (just dismount the fixings on the flange on the engine); in this way you can easily remove the axle on a bench because the space to work with the engine installed is very unconfortable. In fact also if you want to use an extractor (I did one with long arms) you have to pull the engine back to have a little bit of room....anyway you have to use not gentle manners to have a good results...but is better to work on a bench that in the engine compartment...in this way you can also change the  seal of the gearbox easily once removed the little shaft.
Just for your use i attach a pdf in which there is an explanation of the job....but I prefer to put the gearbox out of the boat with the shaft attached and to do the job in a confortable and safe way...
regards
Michele