VHF antennas

ngtnewington Newington

I am hoping that some group knowledge may help me.

I want confirmation that the antenna on the mizzen that looks like a VHF is actually a VHF antenna (spare)
Secondly I can not find the end of the cable from it to the chart table area. Any ideas?
Nick
S/Y Amelia
AML 54-019
Leros

Arno Luijten

The VHF antenna on the Mizzen is for your AIS system.

ngtnewington Newington

Thanks Arno,
There never was an AIS system on the boat. I am installing a receiver now. For the moment I am using the main VHF to test it and it all works.
Now I just have to find the cable from the mizzen VHF antenna and we are done…
Nick
Amelia
AML54-019
Leros

On 17 Jun 2021, at 16:51, Arno Luijten <arno.luijten@...> wrote:

The VHF antenna on the Mizzen is for your AIS system.

Mark McGovern

Nick,

On the Super Maramu there is a removable panel in the aft head on the upper, inboard side of the forward bulkhead that give us access to the cables coming down the Mizzen mast including the AIS Antenna, Radar, Weather Fax, and Cockpit Light.  I don't know if it is the same on the 54.

I think I met your mate Kevin(?)  a few weeks back at Herrington Harbor North Marina in Deale, Maryland USA.  It's about 20 miles south of Annapolis.  He says he helped you sail Amelia across the Atlantic.  What a small world we live in!

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara

ngtnewington Newington

Hey Mark,
That would have been Jonathan.
We had a great passage to the Azores.
Yes it is a small world. I am nostalgic just thinking about all the  ocean  passages. Some easy and others not so, but  every one of them left me feeling fulfilled and perhaps thinking that the world is actually quite large, at least from the deck of a small boat.

Nick
SY Amelia
AML54-019
Leros

On 17 Jun 2021, at 19:23, Mark McGovern <mfmcgovern@...> wrote:

Nick,

On the Super Maramu there is a removable panel in the aft head on the upper, inboard side of the forward bulkhead that give us access to the cables coming down the Mizzen mast including the AIS Antenna, Radar, Weather Fax, and Cockpit Light.  I don't know if it is the same on the 54.

I think I met your mate Kevin(?)  a few weeks back at Herrington Harbor North Marina in Deale, Maryland USA.  It's about 20 miles south of Annapolis.  He says he helped you sail Amelia across the Atlantic.  What a small world we live in!

--
Mark McGovern
SM #440 Cara
Deale, MD USA

Porter McRoberts

The Mizzen cable access is behind the light in the main head shower.

Porter McRoberts
S/V IBIS A54-152
WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206
Www.fouribis.net

On Jun 18, 2021, at 7:49 AM, ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

[...]

Dominique Sery

Hello, in my 54 (16) there is a vhf antenna on the mizzen mast.  The aerial cable has a connection in the aft cabin shower with another cable which goes to the chart table.  At the chart table, the cable is on hold (coiled up and not connected, there is no plug at the end).  There is a label (mizzen link) indicating its function.
Dominique
Irko A54-16 Schinousa (Greece)

ngtnewington Newington

I have now found the antenna cable end; it was connected to my ICOM SSB, I guess the DSC receiving, anyhow I have put it on my new AIS and all works.

There is one more stubby antenna on top the mizzen?
 Anyone know what that one is?

Nick
Amelia AML54-019 Leros

On 17 Jun 2021, at 22:48, NICK NEWINGTON <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

[...]

Scott SV Tengah

Nick,

I know this is nicking pits, but check your AIS receiving AND sending range. My A54 came with the Banten antenna on both main and mizzen (VHF and AIS, respectively) and both had failed.

I noticed the failure on the VHF antenna when I could barely hear the admiral on a handheld a few hundred meters from the boat. She could not hear me at all, indicating that a quality cable/antenna setup is more important for transmission. I replaced it all with RG-8X from mast to VHF radio and both reception and transmission improved dramatically.

Same with the AIS antenna. Earlier I'd see boats maybe 10nm away. Now I can see cargo ships 40nm+ away. I am certain my transmission has improved too.

Cheap to replace with a Shakespeare VHF antenna and RG-8X and not too difficult as you can re-use the existing holes in the mast to mount the antenna. Search for my posts on the replacement if you want to do it. You will connect rigging to bonding as a result, but that's not a bad thing as Amel started doing it in 2009.

I used VHF antennas for both applications so the mizzen one can act as a backup VHF antenna. In other words, I didn't get an AIS tuned mizzen antenna.

Hope this helps.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Sv Garulfo

Nick,

I believe the stubbier antenna is for the fax receiver (furuno fax30):

Best,
Thomas
GARULFO
A54-122
Tahiti

On 17 Jun 2021, at 19:38, ngtnewington Newington via groups.io <ngtnewington@...> wrote:

I have now found the antenna cable end; it was connected to my ICOM SSB, I guess the DSC receiving, anyhow I have put it on my new AIS and all works.

There is one more stubby antenna on top the mizzen?
 Anyone know what that one is?
<image0.jpeg>

[...]

Doug Smith

I’m curious about how to use the weather fax receiver.  Does anyone have experience with this device?

Thanks, Doug Smith

Amel 54-113, Aventura
White Point Marina, Kinsale VA USA
Dugsmith98@...

On Jun 18, 2021, at 2:54 PM, Sv Garulfo <svgarulfo@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for the info.
Scott, you are correct about antenna condition and quality.
I did notice that with the AIS connected to the mainmast antenna the range was better than the mizzen antenna, but both good.
My VHF works perfectly and has amazing range. Last year I talked to another Amel owner 60 miles away, clear as a bell.
Nick
Amelia
Amel54-019
Leipsoi Greece

On 18 Jun 2021, at 22:05, Doug Smith via groups.io <dugsmith98@...> wrote:

[...]

Dean Gillies

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 05:05 AM, Doug Smith wrote:
I’m curious about how to use the weather fax receiver.
Doug,
I'm interested too.  I've been able to receive Navtex transmissions with it, but was never successful in finding a weatherfax.
I concluded that the equipment was probably working ok, but didn't spend too much time investigating further.
Dean
SV Stella*****
A54-154

ngtnewington Newington

Hi Dean,
I used the weather fax all the way across the Atlantic it was great.
I think I received faxes from Halifax Nova Scotia and the U.K.
Nick
Amelia
AML 54-019
Patmos Greece

On 20 Jun 2021, at 07:32, Dean Gillies <stella@...> wrote:

On Sat, Jun 19, 2021 at 05:05 AM, Doug Smith wrote:
I’m curious about how to use the weather fax receiver.
Doug,
I'm interested too.  I've been able to receive Navtex transmissions with it, but was never successful in finding a weatherfax.
I concluded that the equipment was probably working ok, but didn't spend too much time investigating further.
Dean
SV Stella*****
A54-154

Dean Gillies

Hi Nick,
Thanks, good to know. It was probably a combination of finger trouble and lack of detailed interest on my part.  I assume my receive antenna is fine as I can receive Navtex ok.  I will give the WFax another airing this summer when I get to the boat.
How are things in Greece?
Cheers
Dean
A54-154

ngtnewington Newington

Hi Dean,
It is pretty quiet but very pleasant.
I fully expected to spend a couple of weeks trouble shooting systems that were put to bed in September 2020.  I am delighted to say, fingers crossed and touching wood that all is as I left her.
No water ingress, bone dry, all systems working perfectly.
Nick
S/Y Amelia
AML54-019
Patmos

On 21 Jun 2021, at 03:18, Dean Gillies <stella@...> wrote:

Hi Nick,
Thanks, good to know. It was probably a combination of finger trouble and lack of detailed interest on my part.  I assume my receive antenna is fine as I can receive Navtex ok.  I will give the WFax another airing this summer when I get to the boat.
How are things in Greece?
Cheers
Dean
A54-154

Mark Barter

If anybody has replaced their VHF cables could you tell me what lengths of cable were needed for the main and mizzen masts.

I am away from the boat at the moment but this is a job we need to do because our VHF reception is really poor. No doubt almost completely caused by me having to splice the cable after inadvertently cutting it!
--
Mark & Nicky Barter
S/V Nunky

Scott SV Tengah

Mark,

I bought 43 meters of RG-8X and that was enough on my A54 to run new cable from:

(1) The vhf antenna at the top of the main all the way to the VHF headunit (NOT just the coupler at the mastbase inside the boat)
(2) The ais antenna at the top of the mizzen down to just the coupler in the aft shower, at the mizzen mastbase.

I got mine from Davis RF in the US - cheapest I found for marine rated rg-8x. I can't imagine trying to squeeze thicker cable through the conduits, but I believe some others have tried and possibly even succeeded. The original A54 cable is much thinner RG-58, FYI.

Get real soldered PL-259 connectors and watch some youtube videos on how to do it. I rubber taped the connectors and then put 3M electrical tape over it. The PL-259 are not, by design, waterproof.

On Tue, Jun 22, 2021 at 8:50 PM Mark Barter <markbarter100@...> wrote:
If anybody has replaced their VHF cables could you tell me what lengths of cable were needed for the main and mizzen masts.

I am away from the boat at the moment but this is a job we need to do because our VHF reception is really poor. No doubt almost completely caused by me having to splice the cable after inadvertently cutting it!
--
Mark & Nicky Barter
S/V Nunky
SM 110

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Porter McRoberts

Is there a solder that is marine rated and less likely to participate in the ever present electrolytic process?

Has anyone ever gold plated terminals or wire?  Would that help ( as gold is a highly noble metal) with corrosion in these important and hard-to-maintain locations?

Porter McRoberts
S/V IBIS A54-152
WhatsApp:+1 754 265 2206
Www.fouribis.net

[...]