Topics

VHF Cable Replacement

Mark Erdos

A question to those who needed to replace the VHF cable in the main mast: Did you also need to replace the VHF cable from the base of the mast to the rear of the radio?

Thanks.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff

www.creampuff.us

Thomas Peacock

Hi Mark,

I am also in the process of replacing the VHF antenna. As they say, I’m not expert, but….

My understanding is that sea air can creep into anywhere. This is especially true where there are connections. Our SM has coax coming down the antenna, then connecting to coax that goes to the radio. My plan is to bypass the connection, and just run coax (connected at the antenna) in one piece all the way back to the radio, I guess about 80 feet of coax.

Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes
Chesapeake Bay

--
Tom Peacock
SM 240 Aletes

Chris Doucette

My masts were down this summer - I used the old cable to pull new marine grade RG-8X.  The antennas I replaced with Shakespeares.  Gld I did- I broke open the old ones- they were corroded.  House wiring from mast step to radio was just fine.

Chris
S/V Amarok SM 385 Deltaville

Wolfgang Weber

Hi Chris,
Did you check your antenna with a swr--meter before and after renovating the system?
Greetings from Germany
Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54#162 Fort Lauderdale

Scott SV Tengah

I did the same. New RG-8X from new Shakespeare antenna all the way to the nav station. The original Amel way is to have a junction at the base of the mast, presumably so you can remove the mast without having to take out the antenna wire. If I ever need to remove the mast, I'll cut the coax and put the junction on.  Earlier I couldn't communicate with the admiral in a dinghy 300 meters away and now we can hear USCG broadcasts up to 200nm offshore.

Connection at the antenna was taped with self-amalgamating rubber tape and then covered with 3M electrical tape. I even zip tied the electrical tape for good measure.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69