Volvo D3

Paul Harries

As a prospective buyer of a 54 I am anxious about all the negative comments online about the Volvo D3. Could you place this in context for me? Is this a bad engine with limited life? Are problems common place? Is it reliable?
Anyone had to replace engine, if so with what and at what cost.
The problem with the internet is that problems tend to be magnified and reliability is under reported.
I just want to place my anxiety in context.
Thx
Paul

Stefan Schaufert

Dear Paul,

our D3 has appr. 1700 hours and is very reliable - so far.

Only the water pump was a little bit tricky (leaky) - from time to time.

Best regards
Stefan
A54 #119 Lady Charlyette, currently Bahamas

Teun BAAS

Paul,

I replaced the VOLVO D3 110iC in 2018 with the VOLVO D3 110iH

Pls contact me directly ( teun@... ) and I will explain.

Best Regards Teun

April 21, 2021 07:48:28

As a prospective buyer of a 54 I am anxious about all the negative comments online about the Volvo D3. Could you place this in context for me? Is this a bad engine with limited life? Are problems common place? Is it reliable?
Anyone had to replace engine, if so with what and at what cost.
The problem with the internet is that problems tend to be magnified and reliability is under reported.
I just want to place my anxiety in context.
Thx

Paul

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Paul;

We have had our 54 for about 6 years. We have not had any issues, other than the normal maintenance related items, with our 110, so far. We had the same concerns at the time of purchase, as you do now. Our research indicated that a handful of the 54s have had issues with their D3-110 with some of these being major, needing engine replacement, as you may have seen in this forum. Our research  was also confirmed by our surveyor Olivier, that has been involved with Amels for over 30 years.

This did not sway our decision as we felt that the Amel and especially the 54, represented such a uniquely qualified boat for our purposes, that even the potential for an engine replacement, would not have affected our decision to move forward.

Our initial decision has been reinforced throughout our 6 year ownership and have been more and more impressed by the design every year.

Respectfully;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

Amel 54 #099

As a prospective buyer of a 54 I am anxious about all the negative comments online about the Volvo D3. Could you place this in context for me? Is this a bad engine with limited life? Are problems common place? Is it reliable?
Anyone had to replace engine, if so with what and at what cost.
The problem with the internet is that problems tend to be magnified and reliability is under reported.
I just want to place my anxiety in context.
Thx

Paul

Paul,

The Volvo D3 is a good engine.

I believe that there were more failures with the D3 than the previous engines installed in Amels, but there is no empirical data on this, just anecdotal. I think most of the failures were due to the fact that the D3 was Volvo Penta's first Common Rail Sensor & Computer-controlled diesel engine. This was not only a challenge for owners but also for Volvo and Volvo technicians. There was a learning curve for everyone. For instance, years ago most of us did not realize that an oil-soaked turbo boost sensor could not only cause rpm and power problems but left uncorrected could eventually cause serious damage to the engine.

As with anything, the more features, devices, and components one adds to a product, the more complicated it becomes, and the risk of failure increases. However, the Volvo D3 owners can be assured that the D3 is a much cleaner burning diesel engine that will help save the planet.

Bill
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Wed, Apr 21, 2021 at 9:10 AM Paul Harries via groups.io <Pharries=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
As a prospective buyer of a 54 I am anxious about all the negative comments online about the Volvo D3. Could you place this in context for me? Is this a bad engine with limited life? Are problems common place? Is it reliable?
Anyone had to replace engine, if so with what and at what cost.
The problem with the internet is that problems tend to be magnified and reliability is under reported.
I just want to place my anxiety in context.
Thx
Paul

Porter McRoberts

Paul.
I’d be happy to speak to you off line if you wish.

In short we bought a 54. The furlers were a problem and we changed them, and the VD3-110 died. We replaced the engine.   Would I buy the boat again?  Absolutely yes. It’s an amazing machine. Even with the original furlers, knowing what I now know, I might not have needed to change them. Re the engine I agree with Bill R completely. Now we have a D3-110 “H” model. Like Teun. Great engine. But as the D3-“C”motor ages, it proves its genetics: sound or faulty. Ours died a relatively early death.

The A54 is wonderful. Amazing actually. We’re about 24k NM into our love affair. Heading to Fiji soon for another 2k. We’ve been on all sorts of other boats, cool in their own ways. 55s, 64s Gunboats, leopards, everything. I’ve not been tempted to have another boat. I’d have either a SM or a 54 all over again. ( I do have a slight weakness for a Farr 60 pilot house). Or the new Amel 50, if I was around a lot of orcas. 😄.

Don’t be turned away. These boats are simply incredibly designed. The culmination of decades of nautical head scratching and millions of miles. Built to be single handed by a blind guy in the worst conditions. Wife and kid approved and loved as well.  Get one!

Best of luck.

Porter McRoberts
S/V IBIS A54-152

On Apr 21, 2021, at 4:48 AM, Teun BAAS <teun@...> wrote:

Paul,

I replaced the VOLVO D3 110iC in 2018 with the VOLVO D3 110iH

Pls contact me directly ( teun@... ) and I will explain.

Best Regards Teun

April 21, 2021 07:48:28

As a prospective buyer of a 54 I am anxious about all the negative comments online about the Volvo D3. Could you place this in context for me? Is this a bad engine with limited life? Are problems common place? Is it reliable?
Anyone had to replace engine, if so with what and at what cost.
The problem with the internet is that problems tend to be magnified and reliability is under reported.
I just want to place my anxiety in context.
Thx

Paul

Courtney Gorman

Cheers Porter glad to hear life is good
👍🏻😁
Courtney
Trippin
54#101

On Apr 21, 2021, at 5:41 PM, Porter McRoberts via groups.io <portermcroberts@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks to you all
Did any of you have the D3 leave you stranded? What is appx cost of replacing the D3.

And Porter, I hope you get to the Cook Islands. On my previous round the world trip Aitutaki was the absolute high point, back then it was undeveloped,  I gather it is now a high class island resort.

Courtney Gorman

Never stranded sometimes perplexed.  I am right now trying to source an air boost sensor for my Penta D3 without it I am stuck with 2500 RPM as opposed to 3000 RPM however I rarely if ever cruise above 2200 RPM. The big issue is Amel used a different sensor than most Volvo engines so now I am searching for the right part.In the meantime I keep cruising.

On Apr 21, 2021, at 7:09 PM, Paul Harries via groups.io <Pharries@...> wrote:

Thanks to you all
Did any of you have the D3 leave you stranded? What is appx cost of replacing the D3.

And Porter, I hope you get to the Cook Islands. On my previous round the world trip Aitutaki was the absolute high point, back then it was undeveloped,  I gather it is now a high class island resort.

Ulrich Michael Dangelmeyer

Hi Courtney and Porter,

don't worry, the D3-110 is just a modern diesel engine as installed in millions of cars. Sure, at sea we don't need superfluous computers and high tech when it can be done simply. Here, however, the regulations set the framework.
Our engine from the series "C" has over 16oo hours without failure. but we once had a defective boost pressure sensor like you, but could not identify the error codes in the EVC display. To do this, a first Volvo technician had to come with a special Vodia tester (only at Volvo), then the fault was clear after 5 seconds. Stupid only that not at each corner a Volvo service waits. I don't know if it is a smart idea to get such a tester, and all the sensors that are installed in the engine, as well as a spare? The sensor was not in stock at the importer in Greece and had to be ordered in Sweden. It took more than 2 weeks. Since then, our machine runs perfectly. It is important that the intercooler and heat exchanger is completely cleaned regularly. We did this last year, both were 80% clogged with scale and debris. After an acid bath and new seals, everything is now like new again. We do not need to talk about regular oil changes and impeller replacement. Volvo has told me that the machine has remained basically the same over the years, there were only adjustments to the auxiliary units. We still have a good feeling with our machine like many other 54's. so no worries.

Be happy with your engine as your best friend and take good care of it. You should love it like your sails, mate.

Best wishes and stay safe!

Ulrich
„Soleil Bleu“ / A54#088
<>

Von: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Paul Harries via groups.io" <Pharries@...>
Datum: Mittwoch, 21. April 2021 um 16:10
An: "main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io" <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io>
Betreff: [AmelYachtOwners] Volvo D3

As a prospective buyer of a 54 I am anxious about all the negative comments online about the Volvo D3. Could you place this in context for me? Is this a bad engine with limited life? Are problems common place? Is it reliable?
Anyone had to replace engine, if so with what and at what cost.
The problem with the internet is that problems tend to be magnified and reliability is under reported.
I just want to place my anxiety in context.
Thx
Paul

Scott SV Tengah

Original D3-110C here with around 2600hours and I'm generally pretty happy with it. It's a very efficient engine so there are not only environmental benefits but the fuel consumption is phenomenally low for such a big boat.

I had a persistent problem with the "emergency stop switch" that is mounted on the starboard side of the engine. It's a non-sealed unit that is in the airflow path of the intake fan. I'm not the only one who has this problem. It's a small, but quite consequential problem. Easy to remedy, however.

When I was first looking, there was an HR48 that had major problems with their Volvo and it came down to fuel problems. We met another HR with the D3-110C in Panama that had to drop out of World ARC because of fuel related problems. I believe they're still stuck there a year later. Traumatized by those accounts, I now religiously filter, using a Baja Filter, every single drop that goes into my tank. Then I add biocide as a tank lasts us a year on average.

For current D3 owners: The MAP / boost pressure sensor that is in the after cooler is easy to find. The first thing you shouldn't do is ask your Volvo Penta dealer, unless you like overpaying for that green paint. As some mentioned, this is the same engine in many Volvo cars, therefore the sensor is the same Bosch sensor, verified by the actual part number on the actual part. I paid $25 USD for mine vs. the $180 that the VP dealer wanted. You can pick it up at any auto parts store. It's made by Bosch, so I wouldn't even go to a Volvo car dealer as I'm sure they mark it up, too. I have used our replacement for a few hundred hours now with no problems. At that price, get a few of them.

https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/31355463-MFG14.aspx

Further, you can read many of the error codes using a procedure outlined by the Electrical section of the Shop Manual, posted elsewhere on this forum. No need for VODIA. That's how we, at anchor, determined the problem was the boost pressure sensor.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Arno Luijten

[...]
Hi Scott,

Thanks for that link, I’m going to order a few.

Cheers,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Dominique Sery

Be careful,
There are different parts for Volvo D3-110i-A and Volvo D3-110i-B and later
The price is also different.
Dominique
Irko-A54#16

Scott SV Tengah

Edited

Good point Dominique.

I looked at the Volvo Penta parts diagrams for the part numbers and found the following:

For D3-110i-A, the part number is
31355464
http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-spare-parts.aspx?Catalog=7744550&Category=26&View=6722
The price is $211usd

Here's the exact same Bosch part, without the "Penta" packaging and it costs $56 USD.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-boost-pressure-sensor-map-sensor-0261230090

For D3-110i-B and D3-110i-C, the part number is
31355463
http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-spare-parts.aspx?Catalog=7744550&Category=26&View=9364
The price is also $211usd.

Exact same Bosch part, missing the Penta on the box. It costs $25 :)
https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/31355463-MFG14.aspx

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Mohammad Shirloo

HI Scott;

Thanks for the info. I have ordered 4 of them which gets you free shipping for orders over $100.

The link you sent for the Volvo part lists the part (item #19) as 175 Euros. Still a big difference. Where is the 1300 Euro price tag you are referring to?

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

I looked at the Volvo Penta parts diagrams for the part numbers and found the following:

For D3-110i-A, the part number is

31355464

http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-spare-parts.aspx?Catalog=7744550&Category=26&View=6722
The price is 1300 euro. Yes, one thousand three hundred euros.

Here's the exact same Bosch part, without the "Penta" packaging and it costs $56 USD.
https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/volvo-boost-pressure-sensor-map-sensor-0261230090

For D3-110i-B and D3-110i-C, the part number is
31355463
http://www.marinepartseurope.com/en/volvo-penta-spare-parts.aspx?Catalog=7744550&Category=26&View=9364
The price is also 1300 euro.

Exact same Bosch part, missing the Penta on the box. It costs $25 :)
https://www.rmeuropean.com/Products/31355463-MFG14.aspx

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Paul Harries

Many years ago I was a Lotus sports car nut. We had the same problem, part prices from lotus 20x price of same part from elsewhere.

Have you considered setting up as a group a single repository detailing volvo part and identical but alternatively sourced alternative?
Not only do you save lots of money in a crisis but availability is superior.

Scott SV Tengah

Ah just realized the pricing is in Danish Kroner (I'm in DK right now) so the Volvo Penta part is $211USD vs. $25 for the Bosch OEM part.

That's the more typical 8x markup we're used to paying for the "Penta" box. :)

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

I am not sure that is the correct part number for Amel-specific isolated ground. It is a different number than I received from Amel Martinique.

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Sat, Apr 24, 2021, 11:08 AM Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]
[Reason: correction on Volvo Penta pricing.]