Topics

Volvo D3 110 Sea Water Pump - Cover seal

Stefan Schaufert

Dear Amelians,

only a little problem and a simple question:

What is the trick to make the seawater pump cover waterproof?

I serviced the o-ring, used a new one, greased the contact surfaces, checked and cleaned the cover surface, etc.
It continues to drip (a bit, but annoying).

Thx a lot for your appreciated hints.

Stefan
A54 #119 Lady Charlyette, currently Bahamas

I think Dow MolyKote will solve the problem. Use it on all O rings

image.png
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 7:50 AM Stefan Schaufert <mail@...> wrote:
Dear Amelians,

only a little problem and a simple question:

What is the trick to make the seawater pump cover waterproof?

I serviced the o-ring, used a new one, greased the contact surfaces, checked and cleaned the cover surface, etc.
It continues to drip (a bit, but annoying).

Thx a lot for your appreciated hints.

Stefan
A54 #119 Lady Charlyette, currently Bahamas

Stefan Schaufert

Thank you Bill.
I just put it on my order list.

Best regards
Stefan
A54 # 119 Lady Charlyette, currently Bahamas

Karen Smith

Like Bill R suggests...  but also, look VERY closely at the smooth surface that the O-ring seals against.  A scratch there can make it impossible to get a good seal.  Anything you can feel with your fingernail is going to be a problem.

If you have scratches or other flaws, a very light addition of RTV gasket compound can fix it in the short run until a new smooth metal part can be obtained.  Too much RTV here can really cause issues with the pump.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Charleston, SC, USA

Scott SV Tengah

Stefan,

I'm sure you have, but have you confirmed that the leak is from the cover? If the pump seal itself is leaking (ours did at around 2200hrs), saltwater will show up on that drip shield and might look like it comes from the pump cover.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

Good point Scott,

Disclaimer: I have never disassembled the D3 Raw Water Pump, and I am relying on drawing from Volvo.

I decided to take a look at the sea water pump for the Volvo D3
I was surprised to find that there is not a typical spring loaded mechanical seal, but rather what Volvo calls a "Sealing Ring."
image.png

The Volvo TMD22 raw water pump has a "Sealing Ring" and a "Sealing Washer"
image.png
This is what a typical mechanical seal looks like:
image.png

The sea water pump in the Yanmar engines used by Amel incorporates a mechanical seal inside the pump
image.png

The sea water pump in the Onans used by Amel incorporates a mechanical seal inside the pump

image.png

All of the Calpeda Pumps, Dessalator Pumps, and All of the brands of the Amel installed freshwater pumps that I have seen incorporate a mechanical seal.

I guess I am predjudiced in my belief that a Mechanical Seal will last longer than a washer.

Bill

On Sun, Feb 7, 2021 at 11:37 PM Scott SV Tengah <Scott.nguyen@...> wrote:
Stefan,

I'm sure you have, but have you confirmed that the leak is from the cover? If the pump seal itself is leaking (ours did at around 2200hrs), saltwater will show up on that drip shield and might look like it comes from the pump cover.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
http://www.svtengah.com

Stefan Schaufert

Thx a lot for the good hints
to you
Bill, Bill and Scott.

Best regards
Stefan
A54 # 119 Lady Charlyette, currently Bahamas

Dominique Sery

Hello,
Seal number 4 is a lip seal with spring. Quite difficult to change, Volvo offers special tools that are not necessarily indispensable.
Best
Dominique

Dominque,

Thanks for that. I wonder about #4 in this drawing. Is it really out of production? Maybe it was replaced with a mechanical seal?

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 10:40 AM Dominique Sery via groups.io <dominiquesery=me.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hello,
Seal number 4 is a lip seal with spring. Quite difficult to change, Volvo offers special tools that are not necessarily indispensable.
Best
Dominique

Ralph Heilig

Stefan,

I had a leaking D3 seawater pump. Unfortunately I discovered it too late. The seawater was already dropping on the Alternater and demaged the alternator (it's stupid from Volvo to position the alternator directly under the seawater pump!).

The cause was a worn shaft in the sea water pump. I had to replace both: seawaterpump and alternator! My mechanic suggestet not to do the shaft repair, but to install an new one.

So be carefull: If it's the shaft, it will ultimately ruin the alternater if not changed. The alternator was much more expensive than the pump...

Greeting from Vienna,
Ralph
A54, #144

Matt Salatino

Can a drip shield be fabricated to keep seawater off the alternator?

~~~⛵️~~~Matt Salatino A50#27, Speed of Life

On Feb 9, 2021, at 1:29 PM, Ralph Heilig <ralph.heilig@...> wrote:

Stefan,

I had a leaking D3 seawater pump. Unfortunately I discovered it too late. The seawater was already dropping on the Alternater and demaged the alternator (it's stupid from Volvo to position the alternator directly under the seawater pump!).

The cause was a worn shaft in the sea water pump. I had to replace both: seawaterpump and alternator! My mechanic suggestet not to do the shaft repair, but to install an new one.

So be carefull: If it's the shaft, it will ultimately ruin the alternater if not changed. The alternator was much more expensive than the pump...

Greeting from Vienna,
Ralph
A54, #144

Doug Smith

My boat came with this piece of ¼ in plywood, and it is cable tied to the alternator positive cable.  You will notice the water stain on the wood from changing the impellor the first time and not catching all the water.

Doug Smith

S/V Aventura, Amel 54-113

Patuxent River, MD USA

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Matt Salatino via groups.io" <helmsmatt@...>
Date: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 1:41 PM
To: <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [AmelYachtOwners] Volvo D3 110 Sea Water Pump - Cover seal

[...]

Peter Forbes

Doug,

Good plan on drip guard in plywood - I’m away from Carango - can you give me dimensions so i can prepare one here before going on board.

Peter Forbes
Carango A54 #035
La Rochelle
00447836 209730
07836 209730

On 9 Feb 2021, at 19:30, Doug Smith via groups.io <dugsmith98@...> wrote:

My boat came with this piece of ¼ in plywood, and it is cable tied to the alternator positive cable.  You will notice the water stain on the wood from changing the impellor the first time and not catching all the water.

<image001.png>

Doug Smith

S/V Aventura, Amel 54-113

Patuxent River, MD USA

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Matt Salatino via groups.io" <helmsmatt@...>
Date: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 1:41 PM
To: <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>

[...]

Here is what I suggest:

Use your wet-vacuum when changing the impeller and not one drop of water will spill. When you can fill the hoses and engine with fresh water before you do this job.

Bill

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Matt Salatino via groups.io" <helmsmatt=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 1:41 PM
To: <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>

[...]

Germain Jean-Pierre

A trick you can use is to place a child’s diaper under the pump; this works for the TMD22 on SM’s

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007, NZ

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Matt Salatino via groups.io" <helmsmatt=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 1:41 PM
To: <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>

[...]

If you want an absence of saltwater in the engine room, you might want to follow this procedure. It works.
Bill

From: <main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io> on behalf of "Matt Salatino via groups.io" <helmsmatt=yahoo.com@groups.io>
Date: Tuesday, February 9, 2021 at 1:41 PM
To: <main@amelyachtowners.groups.io>

[...]

Hello Bill,
On my D3, to change the impeller without putting water everywhere, I empty the seawater circuit before the change, I close the hull valve, I start a sea water pump  (anchor wash for example) and I Slowly open the impeller cover to make an air intake, the seawater circuit empties completely, then I change the impeller. it is not perfect but there are only a few drops of water that a cloth placed under the pump absorbs.

Dominique

Dominique,

Congratulations!

Not all D3's have the seawater pump located as yours is located high above the engine. In my opinion, you are being very careful about the issue. Normally, the mechanics that owners hire are the very worst offenders of introducing saltwater in the engine room.

You can't do the same with your Onan as you are doing with the D3. I suggest that you try the link I included earlier for the Onan and if you want to get rid of those few drops, maybe the D3 also.

Bill

On Tue, Feb 9, 2021 at 3:47 PM Dominique Sery via groups.io <dominiquesery=me.com@groups.io> wrote:

Hello Bill,
On my D3, to change the impeller without putting water everywhere, I empty the seawater circuit before the change, I close the hull valve, I start a sea water pump  (anchor wash for example) and I Slowly open the impeller cover to make an air intake, the seawater circuit empties completely, then I change the impeller. it is not perfect but there are only a few drops of water that a cloth placed under the pump absorbs.

Dominique

Karen Smith

The shaft "sealing washer" (as Volvo calls it) is actually a lip seal.  Just like the oil seals used on the Amel propshaft, or an engine crankshaft, or any number of other places. In most applications they last at least as long as a carbon face mechanical seals.  It is listed as an "obsolete" part because Volvo does not stock it any longer in their part supply chain.  It is a standard industrial part, although a bit hard to find because of the stainless steel garter spring.

The raw water pumps, and raw water pump parts, for the D3 were (and still are) made by JMP and are readily available at a fraction of the price than from Volvo.  If you know the Volvo part number for your pump, you can cross reference them and get a new pump or any of the parts if you want to rebuild them yourself.  My understanding is that there were at least different two versions of the pump used on the D3 engines.  A complete new pump is less than US$400.

Same with the TMD22: Those raw water pumps are made by Jabsco.  Look closely at the cover plate, and the Jabsco number is stamped there.  Dealing with a Jabsco distributer will save you a boat load of money compared to Volvo.

At least some of the Onan models used Oberdorfer pumps, again these are usually clearly stamped with the original maker and model number on the cover plate.

I'd give very long odds that the Yanmar raw water pumps are also third party supplied, but I do not know which supplier Yanmar used.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Charleston, SC, USA

Scott SV Tengah

Yup, I replaced my Volvo pump with a JMP. They claim the parts are interchangeable so I may get around to trying to rebuild the leaking Volvo one if I get bored. Given that the repair kit isn't much cheaper than the pump, I will probably just replace the whole pump if it ever leaks again. You are right about the pump on the D3 having two different iterations - the mounting holes changed. If anyone wants the iteration that fits on a D3-110C, I can try to dig up the order.

As an aside, the mounting metal "washer" on ours had to be cut off in order to align the JMP with the serpentine belt. Easy with a Dremel.

For our 11kw Onan, it's almost certainly a Sherwood water pump. It was weeping a tiny bit and I replaced it before leaving Hawaii last fall, just in case.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69