VOLVO TMD22 Ext Reg Alternator

Matt & Michelle Day, SM#208 SV Talia

Hey Folks,

Looking for some guidance from the group from anyone whom has installed a higher output externally regulated alternator on their Volvo TMD22.  What brand did you choose?  What drove your decision process?  Any service or fitment issues worth mentioning?

Matt

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

Hey, Matt
a question in this direction I asked a few months ago but did not receive eunfold answers in relation to a part number or an exact model .
my own research has not yet produced satisfactory results, since the space for the 24 V Altinator is very limited.
I think it will go only with changes to the pulley.

Greetings Elja
SM Balu 222

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Elja,

Do you have the part number of your 24V alternator handy (I am not on our boat at the moment)? A picture of the data plate would be great.  I have a friend on the west coast that works in the custom car business that may be able to help with sourcing.

Matt

Elja Röllinghoff Balu SM 222

He Matt
sorry we left it yesterday
shame
but I have some photos maybe it helps

Von meinem iPhone gesendet

Patrick McAneny

Matt, You did not give your location, but if in the States ,I just bought a new alternator thru Hardin Marine for my Volvo TMD22a ,as I discovered my old one did not have an isolated ground ,be sure to buy one that is isolated. 
Pat
SM Shenanigans
Sassafras ,Md.

-----Original Message-----
From: Matt & Michelle Day, SM#208 SV Talia <charlesmatthewday@...>
To: main@AmelYachtOwners.groups.io
Sent: Tue, Aug 17, 2021 12:26 pm
Subject: [AmelYachtOwners] VOLVO TMD22 Ext Reg Alternator

Hey Folks,

Looking for some guidance from the group from anyone whom has installed a higher output externally regulated alternator on their Volvo TMD22.  What brand did you choose?  What drove your decision process?  Any service or fitment issues worth mentioning?

Matt

Paul Osterberg

We did not replaced the original alternator, but installed a Balmar external regulator, very pleased with that, increased the out put, A few years back we were looking at the Victron alternator of 125 or 150 A, but you need a stronger pulley and as well reinforce the fastening. An other issue is a larger alternator demand more Hk from your TMD 22, which I think is already on the low side when going against the wind and waves already at moderate conditions. Further now with plenty of solar and Li cells, we do not need to charge  much with the engine alternator, I have a switch so can turn off the alternator if so desire by opening the field wire, the BMS also open the field if the Li Cells are fully charged
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259, now Gran Canaria

Paul,

Thank you for the insight.  I was not sure if you could modify the Valeo A14N118M alternator to install the external regulator.  That is a great option given the ready availability of the unit.

I have been talking with Balmar, APS and Mastervolt.  Looks like they all have a 2" foot small frame available from 28V/100-140A. However, to your point, all require the pully change to serpentine after you hit 100A due to belt slippage.  It helps that the Balmar regulator seems to be programable to control the soft start up to 3 minutes to limit slippage and wear.  But, that just seems like avoiding wear/tear that will bite me in the ass over open water.  

All the vendors are scratching their heads on the pulley change with the dual alternator installation.  I am not on the boat at the moment so cannot verify if their pulley setup will work, or how the Volvo is setup (single dual V or stacked/bolted dual V, shrouds, bolt sizing, clearance, etc). 

I take your point on the size of the TMD and adding load.   I have not done the loading calculations yet.  Probably should have earlier.  I imagine the parasitic loads have increased significantly given the age of the boat.

Thank you again for your insight.  Much appreciated.

Matt