Topics

VP TMD 22 muffler

Paul Osterberg

I do some services New elbow, cleaning the heat exchanger and turbo etc. My question what to do, if anything with the Stainless steel muffler? I have seen that some have had corrosion dammage is that common? Shall I replace while at it or will it likely last another 5-10 years? now 20years old.
Paul on sykerpa SM 259 Lagos Portugal

Karen Smith

Hello Paul!

My suggestion to you on this topic would be, "It depends."  It seems like that is always the answer to a sailing question, but let me expand a bit.

The Amel metal muffler does have a finite life, although ours is still going strong at 25 years, and pushing 9000 engine hours.  I have never heard of one failing catastrophically, but rather they seem to develop slow leaks that grow slowly, giving you the luxury of selecting the time for replacement.  If you were heading off to the remote islands in the South Pacific, this might be a good time for a little proactive replacement since getting an alternative would be expensive and difficult.  On the other hand, if you are coastal cruising in Europe, I would suggest waiting, since a replacement is relatively inexpensive and fast and easy to source.

Bill Kinney
SM#160
Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA
http://fetchinketch.net

Paul Osterberg

Thanks Bill
We are preparing Kerpa for Our next trip which is planned to go to The Amazon then slowly north to Trinidad for Lay-up, but after that we plan/hope (Covid19 allow  to spend a few years in the Pacifics so probably better to replace it now when I have time. Is Vetus the best Option for a Muffler?
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

Ryan Meador

We just went through this replacement process a few months ago.  If you're willing to spend the money, probably the best option is to have a new one fabricated in metal or fiberglass so you can continue to use it as a step.  I wasn't able to find anything off the shelf that would work for that, and in the interests of time and money, we went with a Vetus.  Specifically, we ordered a model LSG75 and then added the SET0004 connection (because the two connections are different sizes on our boat, but the mufflers all come with the same size on both ends).  I think one could just as easily order an LSG90 with a SET0003 and swap the connections as appropriate, but Defender has the former combination in stock and doesn't stock the latter.

It was a real pain to get the exhaust hose to bend in such a way that it will connect to the muffler, but with a little application of heat and a lot of choice words, we got it in.  I was initially concerned about the strain the hose continuously applies to the muffler, but it seems fine.  We replaced the exhaust mixing elbow at the same time with a stainless one so that we hopefully never have to touch this system again.  It is hard to retrain your muscle memory to avoid stepping on the muffler!

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Salem, MA, USA

On Sun, Oct 18, 2020 at 12:51 PM Paul Osterberg <osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:
Thanks Bill
We are preparing Kerpa for Our next trip which is planned to go to The Amazon then slowly north to Trinidad for Lay-up, but after that we plan/hope (Covid19 allow  to spend a few years in the Pacifics so probably better to replace it now when I have time. Is Vetus the best Option for a Muffler?
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

Paul Osterberg

Thank you Ryan
I just had a glance inside and from that, it looked almost as good sa new, so I decided to keep it, Probably possible to fix with Epoxi if starts to leek when waiting for a new one. We also ordered the stainless steel elbow, and decided to use the old turbo, do not know if it will perform good after cleaning, but Parts4Engine in UK have very fast delivery so will wait and see how it work when we launch coming spring
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

michael winand

Hi Paul,  I had some pitting on my stainless steel muffler. Most around the inlet under the pipe. A stainless metal shop can cut out the bad material and put a new piece into it.
I would have them purge the inside of the muffler when they weld it up with a TIG weld. This will remove any pitting on the inside when they weld it. There was some pitting on the pipes that the hose joined. This can also be welded.
You can also put in a socket to allow to drain out the water.
Allow around 4hrs  to have them do the work.
Michael  Nebo  sm251

On Tue, 20 Oct 2020 at 9:00 am, Paul Osterberg
<osterberg.paul.l@...> wrote:
Thank you Ryan
I just had a glance inside and from that, it looked almost as good sa new, so I decided to keep it, Probably possible to fix with Epoxi if starts to leek when waiting for a new one. We also ordered the stainless steel elbow, and decided to use the old turbo, do not know if it will perform good after cleaning, but Parts4Engine in UK have very fast delivery so will wait and see how it work when we launch coming spring
Paul on SY Kerpa SM#259

Karen Smith

Just as a point of difference, on our boat (#160) the Amel "stainless" muffler is actually made of aluminum.  It's certainly possible that different materials were used in different production runs.

Bill Kinney & Karen Smith
SV Harmonie, SM160
Annapolis, MD, USA

Ryan Meador

I believe ours was also aluminum.  I thought it was stainless until we actually removed it, and it just didn't feel like stainless.

Ryan and Kelly
SM 233 Iteration
Salem, MA, USA