Topics

Washing Machine and 50 htz

Mark Erdos

This is one of those “duh” moments.

We have been aboard Cream Puff for 5+ year cruising full time. When in a marina with the incorrect cycles to run the washing machine, we have always run the genset periodically when needing to catch up on the laundry.

Now in Tahiti where voltage is like no other place on earth: 220v 60 htz, we parked in a marina and were disappoint when we discovered the wrong cycle for the washer/dryer.

Now comes the “duh” moment. Unplug the washer/dryer from its normal outlet and plug it into an outlet with power from the inverter. No need to run the generator. Also with a battery charger running (separate from the inverter/charger), there is no battery drain and no “pass through” power.

A couple of year ago, I upgraded the inverter aboard Cream Puff and it has ample wattage to run the washer/dryer. I have no idea as to why I didn’t think of earlier. If you haven’t thought of this yet either, you can buy me a beer later.

BTW – does anyone run the washer/dry while underway? We never have. I am wondering how the spin cycle works with the vessel pitching and rolling. I am interested to hear your thoughts on this.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

Porter McRoberts

Mark.
We have 3000 amps on the Victron multiplus and not enough to run our washer. So thinking of adding the 5000amp victron and upgrading to lithium’s when we get back to the boat. We washing at sea. It has to be calm. Very calm. Our washer has a spin cycle that goes variably 600 to 900 rpm, any yaw and it wants out!  How many amps  is your inverter?

Porter
A54-152.

On May 2, 2020, at 5:00 PM, Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

This is one of those “duh” moments.

We have been aboard Cream Puff for 5+ year cruising full time. When in a marina with the incorrect cycles to run the washing machine, we have always run the genset periodically to catch up on laundry.

Now in Tahiti where voltage is like no other place on earth. 220v 60 htz, we parked in a marina and were disappoint when we discovered the wrong cycle for the washer/dryer.

Now comes the “duh” moment. Unplug the washer/dryer from is normal outlet and plug it into an outlet with power from the inverter. No need to run the generator. Also with a battery charger running (separate from the inverter/charger) there is no battery drain and no “pass through” power.

A couple of year ago, I upgraded the inverter aboard Cream Puff and it has ample wattage to run the washer/dryer. I have no idea as to why I didn’t this of this earlier. If you hadn’t thought of this yet either, you can buy me a beer later.

BTW – does anyone run the washer/dry while underway? We never have. I am wondering how the spin cycle works with the vessel pitching and rolling. I am interested to hear your thoughts on this.

With best regards,

Mark

Skipper

Sailing Vessel - Cream Puff - SM2K - #275

www.creampuff.us

Mark Erdos

The inverter is Victron Multiplus 24/3000/70 - It is the 50amp version.

It easily runs the washer. On cold water washing it really doesn’t draw very much since it is just motors and pumps. Warm or hot water works well. The machines internal water heater doesn’t overload the inverter. We never use the heated dry cycle (even when on shore power). We spin dry at warp speed and let nature take care of the rest.

[...]

We always ran the washer on ocean crossings with the generator. It was no problem, but look at the rotation of the washer tub on an SM2k...maybe that helped.
CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Sat, May 2, 2020 at 4:09 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

[...]

michael winand

We also have used the washing machine. Can be used with the engine alternator through the inverter. So if we have a hour or so of motoring and it's not too rough a load can be done.
Michael Elaine  Nebo sm251

On Sun, 3 May 2020 at 8:20, CW Bill Rouse
<brouse@...> wrote:
[...]

heinz@quetzal.berlin

Hello

Good idea.

We used our washing machine on the way when we crossed the atlantic and pacific ocean. when the generator was running to charge the batteries. It has to stand firm. I put foam (hard sponge) between the machine and the wood so that the shocks are absorbed well. The V-belt broke off once in the Atlantic but that must not have had anything to do with the wave.

Heinz, Sy Quetzal, SM 2000, 292

[...]

islandpearl2_sm2k332

Beware!!! The last time our trusty old Thompson Washer ever worked was the first time we ever used it whilst sailing in calm waters! We never did this before, but on sailing out of Ecuador for the first 4 hours of the long Pacific Ocean crossing to Hiva Oa, the seas were so flat and calm that we decided to give it a go. The wash cycle worked perfectly and so we started that particular 24-day ocean crossing with lovely clean washing, only to find that the machine would never work again!

I say this just as a warning of our experience only, it could simply be a nasty coincidence but I would never do it again. Also, I should also pass on the good news that we were amazed to discover that the little white goods retailer in the shopping complex directly over the road from the Papeete  Marina keeps just two or three Bosch washing machines which fit your SM perfectly with the correct cycles too, and which we found far superior to the older Thompsons in terms of both energy consumption and how well it washes your clothes. Warning though, it was VERY EXPENSIVE!!

Colin Streeter
EX Island Pearl II # 332

--
Colin Streeter
0411 016 445

Dan Carlson

We have started using the inverter this year. Nice to have the freedom from the generator.

We have a Bosch washer and the peake consumption is about 2500 watts for 3 minutes at the beginning of the cycle while it is heating the water.  Not all washers are as efficient.

We have the Victron MultiPlus Charger inverter and a 30 amp charger.

If you have the Victron Multi's it is important to remember that when it is connected to shore power it will shift frequency to the frequency of the shore power source.  That could be a bad surprise for your washer or microwave.  Best to have a dedicated small charger for when you are on shore power and the ability to keep your Victron Multi electrically separate from shore power unless you deliberately flip a switch.

Best regards, Daniel Carlson on sv BeBe, SM #387, currently in Les Saintes

On Sat, May 2, 2020, 5:00 PM Mark Erdos <mcerdos@...> wrote:

[...]

greg greg

Good Idea!
to have the inverter powerful enough to run on board AC staff of your main standard!
Instead of converter!

Gary Wells

Getting ready to upgrade the 220v inverter from 800w to 3k watts .. perhaps along the line of a Magnum combo or Victron charger and separate inverter (I kinda like non-combined systems so only one facet fails at a time:))Even with only 800 watts, the washer will wash and spin fine. Just has to be cold water only.  This is a new machine so I think it's way more efficient.

Gary W.
SM 209, Adagio
Georgia, USA

Wolfgang Weber

Hi Gary,
On our Amel54#162 we had a Mastervolt Charger 100 A and one with 40 A.
My plan was to Change the Mastervolt 40A Charger to a Mastervolt Ultra Combi charger /inverter -100A Charging /3500 Watt inverting. The problem and Limit were the  cable dimensions of the 40A Charger. As I die not want big work I had to use the 100A wires for the Combi and leave the 40A in place.With this way there was not much work to Change to the Combi.
So I use the 40A Charger for Voltage 110-230 and 50-60 Hz and by the same Time get my 220 V/50 Hz at all places. I think with victron you could do the same.
Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54#162

Thomas Kleman

Hey Mark- hope things are great in Papeete. We run the clothes washer in all seas subject to the wind being low enough to dry things.

I once took apart (completely) our old clothes washer to more easily remove it. About half the weight of it are these huge weights bolted to the to the sides to control vibration during spin cycles. I think that also helps when rolling.

Tom and Kirstin
SV L'ORIENT
Enjoying Oahu

Mohammad Shirloo

Hello Wolfgang;

We have a 2500 W inverter and a 100A and 40 A charger (All Mastervolt) on Kokomo. Our Inverter died at the end of last season. Our plan is to replace the existing 2500W inverter and the 100A charger with a Victron 24/8000W/200A Quattro charger/inverter. We will use both sets of existing cables, each rated at 100A@24V to power the new Victron. This should provide about 5000 W of power input to the inverter and eliminate the need for any new wiring.

Due to temperature de-rating of the inverter and the expected temperature in the engine room (At least 40 degrees C), I believe we will only be able to realistically get a maximum of about 5500W of power output, under normal summer and tropical conditions (this is according to the Victron Quattro Specs).  This de-rating applies to all inverters. For example, the Victron Quattro 24/5000, is only capable of supplying 3700W at 40 degrees C.

Respectfully;

Mohammad Shirloo

+1-323-633-2222  Cell

+1-424-644-0908  Fax

On our Amel54#162 we had a Mastervolt Charger 100 A and one with 40 A.

My plan was to Change the Mastervolt 40A Charger to a Mastervolt Ultra Combi charger /inverter -100A Charging /3500 Watt inverting. The problem and Limit were the  cable dimensions of the 40A Charger. As I die not want big work I had to use the 100A wires for the Combi and leave the 40A in place.With this way there was not much work to Change to the Combi.

So I use the 40A Charger for Voltage 110-230 and 50-60 Hz and by the same Time get my 220 V/50 Hz at all places. I think with victron you could do the same.

Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54#162

Teun BAAS

Hi Mohammad,

I didn’t like the 5000 VICTRON in the engine room as located right above the bilge pump. With the presence of all the other pumps, water maker etc. for me too high a chance of potential conflict so moved in 2018 the VICTRON to the hanging locker in the pilot berth. Has been working great since 2018.

Best Regards Teun

SV AMELIT  A54  #128

COOMERA (near BRISBANE) QLD AUSTRALIA

May 3, 2020 14:10:09

USA cell: +1 832 477 8842

AUSTRALIA cell: +61 5951 8909

On our Amel54#162 we had a Mastervolt Charger 100 A and one with 40 A.

My plan was to Change the Mastervolt 40A Charger to a Mastervolt Ultra Combi charger /inverter -100A Charging /3500 Watt inverting. The problem and Limit were the  cable dimensions of the 40A Charger. As I die not want big work I had to use the 100A wires for the Combi and leave the 40A in place.With this way there was not much work to Change to the Combi.

So I use the 40A Charger for Voltage 110-230 and 50-60 Hz and by the same Time get my 220 V/50 Hz at all places. I think with victron you could do the same.

Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54#162

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Teun;

Our chargers are mounted on the bulkhead to port side of the generator, so it is far away from the bilge. I really like the AMEL philosophy of all mechanical and electrical items in the engine room.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

On our Amel54#162 we had a Mastervolt Charger 100 A and one with 40 A.

My plan was to Change the Mastervolt 40A Charger to a Mastervolt Ultra Combi charger /inverter -100A Charging /3500 Watt inverting. The problem and Limit were the  cable dimensions of the 40A Charger. As I die not want big work I had to use the 100A wires for the Combi and leave the 40A in place.With this way there was not much work to Change to the Combi.

So I use the 40A Charger for Voltage 110-230 and 50-60 Hz and by the same Time get my 220 V/50 Hz at all places. I think with victron you could do the same.

Wolfgang Weber SY Elise Amel 54#162

Arno Luijten

Hi Mohammad,

Careful with that idea. The cables for the inverter go to the secondary side of the battery switches but the charger cables go to the primary side. If you run them in parallel without changing this setup you may end up with some strange and unwanted effects.

Myself I was thinking to replace the 2500 W (actually its only 2000 W contentiously) with a 3500 W combi model from Mastervolt (Mass Combi Pro 24/3500-100) once it dies on me. That way you can use two 100A chargers to recharge the batteries while on genset. You just need to be very careful with the configuration of the chargers. Mastervolt told me that you can run the chargers in parallel as long are you use a Mastershunt to report on the state of the batteries. The shunt sends the information to the chargers. 3500 W is enough to run any of the appliances. I still need to check the diameter of the current 24V cable to the existing inverter to see if that can be done.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Arno Luijten

Hi Teun,

What a strange place to have this Inverter.  I vaguely remember this was the spot where Amel would put the isolation transformer if that was requested. As Mohammad said before the "normal" place for the inverter is behind the genset. This Victron inverter may have been to big for that spot though. Personally I find these huge inverters scary, the power-draw is immense and they really kick the batteries hard when running for longer time. Also the electronics are under tremendous load, not the easiest thing in a marine environment. Even the 3500 I'm considering for Luna seems high to myself.
With Lithium batteries this may be easier but I'm not at that point yet.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Mohammad Shirloo

Hi Arno;

Thanks for the information. I am still unclear as to exactly how the cables are run and, as you suggested, we will be checking to be sure they are terminated correctly. Our goal is to eliminate the need to run new cables. At this point, I am also unclear as to how big a job it is to route new cables. Our plan is to investigate routing, once we get onboard this season.

Keep in mind that the wattage specified is in ideal conditions at 25 degrees C. Most of our engine rooms will see much higher operating temperatures in the usual cruising grounds. For example, a 3000W Victron inverter/charger will only be able to supply 2200W at 40 deg C and 1700 at 65 deg C. Also, running the inverter at a lower percentage of the max rating will result in a longer lifespan and cooler operating temperature of the unit.

The reason why the larger inverter power can now be considered, is the availability of Lithium technology that allows the kind of current needed to power an inverter of this size, without stressing the batteries. Since we plan on replacing the next set of batteries with Lithiums in 2-3 years, this upgrade makes sense for us. The ultimate goal being the ability to power all of the systems on board from the batteries (albeit not at the same time) and have enough solar power to keep the Lithium batteries charged, with the occasional need to run the generator, based on weather and power usage.

Happy Sailing;

Mohammad and Aty

B&B Kokomo

AMEL 54 #099

[...]

Consider the Mastervolt, power derating only starts at 40 C (Mass Combi Pro). Don't get me wrong I don't really like Mastervolt as a company but they do turn out some solid products. The Mass line of products is quite nice, maybe because they don't make them themselves, some other company in the Netherlands actually designs and manufactures them.

Regards,

Arno Luijten
SV Luna,
A54-121

Arno Luijten

Hi Mohammad,

By the way, adding/replacing cables between the battery compartment and the engine room is very difficult. Amel sealed the duct between the two compartments with epoxy. This duct sits in the passage to the back under this hump at the bottom on the Main Cabin side.  It can be done but you will need to be extremely agile to get to the place behind the fuel tank to open up the duct. Alternatively you could route the cable via the ceiling in the Galley. In that case I would run a set if thinner cables instead of one thick one. That is easier to accomplish.

Regards,

Arno