Topics

washing machine and dryer for Amel 54

Lior Keydar

Hi all

I am thinking about replacing the washing machine and dryer on my A54.
Did anyone replaced it? can I ask to what model?
There are also combined washing/dryer machine. What do you think about this option?
The main issue here is for sure the size of the machine.

Thanks in advance for your comments
Lior

I saw for example this type:

Candy GVSW40464TWC-S

https://www.nettoshop.ch/Haushalt-Grossger%C3%A4te/Waschen-und-Trocknen/Waschtrockner-Kombiger%C3%A4t/Candy-GVSW40464TWC-S-Slim-Waschtrockner-Kombiger%C3%A4t-weiss-links/p/IP095229

Th

Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg

You don’t need the dryer. Your laundry drues faster outside in the wind, and the do the ironing for you as well.

Hälsningar/regards
Ann-Sofie Svanberg
S/Y Lady Annila SM232, 1998

Skickat från min iPhone

31 juli 2019 kl. 10:58 skrev Lior Keydar via Groups.Io <sharona246@...>:

Hi all

I am thinking about replacing the washing machine and dryer on my A54.
Did anyone replaced it? can I ask to what model?
There are also combined washing/dryer machine. What do you think about this option?
The main issue here is for sure the size of the machine.

Thanks in advance for your comments
Lior

I saw for example this type:

Candy GVSW40464TWC-S

https://www.nettoshop.ch/Haushalt-Grossger%C3%A4te/Waschen-und-Trocknen/Waschtrockner-Kombiger%C3%A4t/Candy-GVSW40464TWC-S-Slim-Waschtrockner-Kombiger%C3%A4t-weiss-links/p/IP095229

Th

Lior Keydar

well, I have SHARONA since 7 year and never used the dryer.
Now we are in Montenegro and it is first time that we had (in spring) many rainy days and everything was wet for days... in such a case it would be nice to have a dryer.
But yes, until then I never needed a dryer but it is "nice to have"

Lior

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 05:07 AM, Annsofie & Jonas Svanberg wrote:
ed the dryer. Your laundry drues faster outside in the wind, and the do the ironing for you as well.

Germain Jean-Pierre

Hello Lior,

We have an SM but changed from the small size units the SM’s were fitted with to the “Euro standard sized Siemens IQ500.”  It is a washer/dryer; we rarely use the drier function but it has come in handy at times.  Also means you can rid yourself of the drier unit and have a large locker instead and a weight reduction.

Very good machine which should fit directly into your present washing machine emplacement.

Kind regards,

Jean-Pierre Germain, Eleuthera, SM007
Fiji

On 31 Jul 2019, at 21:58, Lior Keydar via Groups.Io <sharona246@...> wrote:

Hi all

I am thinking about replacing the washing machine and dryer on my A54.
Did anyone replaced it? can I ask to what model?
There are also combined washing/dryer machine. What do you think about this option?
The main issue here is for sure the size of the machine.

Thanks in advance for your comments
Lior

I saw for example this type:

Candy GVSW40464TWC-S

https://www.nettoshop.ch/Haushalt-Grossger%C3%A4te/Waschen-und-Trocknen/Waschtrockner-Kombiger%C3%A4t/Candy-GVSW40464TWC-S-Slim-Waschtrockner-Kombiger%C3%A4t-weiss-links/p/IP095229

Th

Arno Luijten

You will have fun finding a replacement. There are a few that you may be able to find with the same size.

I saw this at some point:

Bosch WLT24440

and/or Siemens WS12K440/WS10K460/WS10K160/WS10K360

But I’m not sure if they are still available

Bear in mind that Amel added some bolt-holes in the bottom to secure the machine.

Apparently you can remove the washer as one unit. The dryer needs to be taken apart completely in situ as it is too big.

The dryer was modified quite a bit by Amel. Basically they cut the lower back right corner off the machine and rerouted the exhaust through the bottom.

The dryer can still be obtained in the UK last time I checked:

White Knight C37AW 3 kg Dimensions  (H) 67 x (W) 50 x (D) 47cm (same machine, different brand)

White Knight C39AS 3.5 kg Dimensions: H67cm x W50cm x D47cm (bit more capacity because of reversing drum)

In my case I ended up replacing the heater element of the dryer as it was broken and repainting parts of both machines. They work fine now.

Arno Luijten,

SV Luna, A54-121

Scott SV Tengah

I replaced my washing machine with a Beko 6kg 1000rpm one that I found in Spain.

It barely fits, but the nice thing is that it's 50% more capacity than the original Bosch. Securing it was a pain but possible through the "shipping plugs" in the back of the machine.

I'm not aboard now but will return to the boat around the 12th, so if you want the model number, I can post it then. And if you go for this machine, I can walk you through how I secured it. The boatyard tried to secure it and well, their solution resulted in the machine falling out at an inconvenient time. :)
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69

This is the model of the 54 OEM clothes washer:
BOSCH WLX24460FF
Height:85.6cm / Width:59.5cm / Depth:44.1cm

This is the model of the Beko possible replacement clothes washer:
BEKO WMS6100
Height: 84.0cm / Width: 60cm / Depth: 45cm
This washing machine can wash a full 6kg load in just 28 minutes
Best,

CW Bill Rouse
720 Winnie St
Galveston Island, TX 77550
+1(832) 380-4970

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 11:54 AM Scott SV Tengah <sv.tengah@...> wrote:
I replaced my washing machine with a Beko 6kg 1000rpm one that I found in Spain.

It barely fits, but the nice thing is that it's 50% more capacity than the original Bosch. Securing it was a pain but possible through the "shipping plugs" in the back of the machine.

I'm not aboard now but will return to the boat around the 12th, so if you want the model number, I can post it then. And if you go for this machine, I can walk you through how I secured it. The boatyard tried to secure it and well, their solution resulted in the machine falling out at an inconvenient time. :)
--
Scott
2007 A54 #69
SV Tengah
www.svtengah.com

Martin Bevan

We replaced the original Bosch machine in 2017 when it started to trip the power out. The replacement was as in the previous post, a Beko. There are very few half depth machines available and Bosch no longer make one. Our original machine was held in place by two bolts attached through the back of the machine which go through a panel at the back of the machine space and are secured by two Amel style wheel nuts. These are accessed via a panel in the port side double cabin. We fitted these bolts to the new machine.

The old and new machines just fit through the companionway doors.

On the the subject of tumble dryers, ours got a large amount of use, especially for drying towels when at sea. The main issue that we had was with the grill at the end of the exhaust pipe blocking, solved by removing the internal grill.

Martin Bevan
Previous owner of Caduceus A54#56

Porter McRoberts

We replaced our bosch with the Beko. Outstanding machine and quite easy to replace.  it works much better than our house washing machine. The hardest part is getting the machine to the boat!-if in the US.

Porter McRoberts
A54-152

Excuse the errors.
Sent from my IPhone

On Aug 1, 2019, at 9:53 AM, Martin Bevan <Martin.bevanhome@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you all for the great information.
I saw that BEKO WMS6100 is not produced any more but there a few machines on the market that could fit in. The different models changes very quickly on the market.
Also on my boat the
machine is held in place by two bolts attached through the back of the machine. The challenge will be for sure to fit the new machine in and to secure it like the first one.

Thanks again
Lior, SCHARONA A54 #18

ya_fohi

Hi, Sharon here,

just wondering if you managed to find a replacement, washing machine?

Just starting the looking to replace ours on our 54.

Thanks in advance.
Sharon

On Sun, Aug 4, 2019 at 6:36 AM Lior Keydar via Groups.Io <sharona246=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Thank you all for the great information.
I saw that BEKO WMS6100 is not produced any more but there a few machines on the market that could fit in. The different models changes very quickly on the market.
Also on my boat the
machine is held in place by two bolts attached through the back of the machine. The challenge will be for sure to fit the new machine in and to secure it like the first one.

Thanks again
Lior, SCHARONA A54 #18

Scott SV Tengah

I installed the Beko WTE6511BW. It barely fits but the advantage is that has a 6kg load capacity, bigger than the original Bosch.

A few notes:

1) To secure from the rear, there are two holes where the "shipping plugs" fit. These match up nearly to the horizontal Amel wooden brace that runs fore-aft. We drilled two holes in the wood, put a long bolt in there and put appropriate washers on the port side of the wood brace and then gingerly put washers on the inside of the back panel of the washer and put a nut there. Access to the inside is possible via the service panel.

We also added some wood shims below the front feet of the washer, aka the starboard edge of the washer. The boatyard initially just shoved it in when I was busy working with another contractor on another part of the boat so I didn't realize they didn't secure it. Only after the machine fell out at a 45 degree angle while sailing upwind did I spend the day or two securing it properly!

2) We need to run it at 600rpm spin cycle. Any more and the spinning drum will sometimes hit the case for the first few seconds of the spin cycle.

In any event, we've run it for 2 years, at least 2x a week and we're very happy with it. The Eco 40degC cycle is perfect in our experience.

--
Scott
2007 A54 #69