Water heater cleaning #solution

JOSE PRIETO

I have installed a basic 40 isotemp water heater on my boat. I have started a project to clean and replace the anode/resistance heater.  Does anyone have experience of how to remove the heater cover (8 screws) and the anode/resistance assembly?  i bought the 55mm hex wrench but there is no room for it to turn!  I removed the screws from the cover, but it won't come loose!  Can someone help me please?
--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323

Jose,

I am not 100% sure, but if your SM has not been changed since she was new, the water heater is protected by the rudder zincs with a bonding wire attachment. If that bonding wire is in place, I do not know why you need to do anything else.

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 1:39 PM JOSE PRIETO <prietomd11@...> wrote:
I have installed a basic 40 isotemp water heater on my boat. I have started a project to clean and replace the anode/resistance heater.  Does anyone have experience of how to remove the heater cover (8 screws) and the anode/resistance assembly?  i bought the 55mm hex wrench but there is no room for it to turn!  I removed the screws from the cover, but it won't come loose!  Can someone help me please?
--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323
Currently Aguadulce, Spain

JOSE PRIETO

Hi Bill!
I imagine the heater is original and has never been serviced.  The bonding wire is actually connected to one of the cover screws.  I want to remove this cover so I can access the inside of the heater and clean it.  I found the photo I'm attaching on the forum!  This heater is just like mine, and it was opened!

--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323

Most of these give you good access when you remove the electric heating element. I have not opened a QUICK brand, just an Isotemp brand.

Once you look inside, you will never drink water from the water heater.😦
Bill

On Tue, Oct 26, 2021 at 4:57 PM JOSE PRIETO <prietomd11@...> wrote:
Hi Bill!
I imagine the heater is original and has never been serviced.  The bonding wire is actually connected to one of the cover screws.  I want to remove this cover so I can access the inside of the heater and clean it.  I found the photo I'm attaching on the forum!  This heater is just like mine, and it was opened!

--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323
Currently Alicante, Spain

JOSE PRIETO

The main problem is to remove the element because theres no space to turn the tool (55 mm hex wrench). There are two metal tubes that runout from the heater very close to the element.

Jose

--
Jose Prieto
SV Wayag, SM 323