WaterLift Muffler for Volvo


Bill Kinney
 

Our Amel made aluminum waterlift muffler has started a slow leak, that will not get better by itself.  It has had a long and happy life, but now a replacement is needed.

My inclination is to go with a Vetus LSG75 because it fits the existing hoses, has a large capacity, and the extra flapper valve is attractive at keeping the water where it belongs.

I know others have had to replace these units, and I'd be interested in hearing what model water lift you chose, whey, and if it has been successful for you.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD


 

That was Amel's choice on the Yanmar SMs. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse 
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com 
Yacht School Calendar: www.preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html


   

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021, 6:59 PM Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:
Our Amel made aluminum waterlift muffler has started a slow leak, that will not get better by itself.  It has had a long and happy life, but now a replacement is needed.

My inclination is to go with a Vetus LSG75 because it fits the existing hoses, has a large capacity, and the extra flapper valve is attractive at keeping the water where it belongs.

I know others have had to replace these units, and I'd be interested in hearing what model water lift you chose, whey, and if it has been successful for you.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD


michael winand
 

We installed the LSG Vetas waterlock, part of the repower, happy with the performance. You can have different diameter on the entry/exit. Moved to the fuel tank side,  removed a little bit of foam around the lsg for a nice fit between the engine frame.
Michael Nebo sm251 


On Wed, 1 Sep 2021 at 10:05 am, CW Bill Rouse
<brouse@...> wrote:
That was Amel's choice on the exYanmar SMs. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse 
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...sg
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com 
Yacht School Calendar: www.preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html


   

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021, 6:59 PM Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:
Our Amel made aluminum waterlift muffler has started a slow leak, that will not get better by itself.  It has had a long and happy life, but now a replacement is needed.

My inclination is to go with a Vetus LSG75 because it fits the existing hoses, has a large capacity, and the extra flapper valve is attractive at keeping the water where it belongs.

I know others have had to replace these units, and I'd be interested in hearing what model water lift you chose, whey, and if it has been successful for you.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD


Beaute Olivier
 

Good morning Bill,

the muffler on Harmonie is most probably made of stainless steel, not aluminum (unless it has been replaced since new).
It may probably be repaired unless the leak is in a difficult place.
However, VETUS plastic mufflers are also good products as long as you make sure the sea-water flow is always strong.

Good luck for this job.

Olivier

On Wednesday, September 1, 2021, 02:57:42 AM GMT+2, michael winand via groups.io <mfw642000@...> wrote:


We installed the LSG Vetas waterlock, part of the repower, happy with the performance. You can have different diameter on the entry/exit. Moved to the fuel tank side,  removed a little bit of foam around the lsg for a nice fit between the engine frame.
Michael Nebo sm251 


On Wed, 1 Sep 2021 at 10:05 am, CW Bill Rouse
<brouse@...> wrote:
That was Amel's choice on the exYanmar SMs. 

Best,

CW Bill Rouse 
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...sg
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com 
Yacht School Calendar: www.preparetocastoff.blogspot.com/p/calendar.html


   

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021, 6:59 PM Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:
Our Amel made aluminum waterlift muffler has started a slow leak, that will not get better by itself.  It has had a long and happy life, but now a replacement is needed.

My inclination is to go with a Vetus LSG75 because it fits the existing hoses, has a large capacity, and the extra flapper valve is attractive at keeping the water where it belongs.

I know others have had to replace these units, and I'd be interested in hearing what model water lift you chose, whey, and if it has been successful for you.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD


Bill Kinney
 

Thanks Olivier,

The leak in our metal unit is from the middle of the transverse hole.  While it might be technically repairable, to do so would require cutting the entire unit apart and welding new seams all round.  While not exactly cheap, the Vetus units are inexpensive enough that they seem to make this process uneconomical.  We have an exhaust high temperature alarm already in place.  I have seen what happens to this type of muffler when water flow is lost, and the engine continues to run.  It is not pretty!

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD 


Bill Kinney
 

We have finished the swap of the old Amel bespoke water lift with a Vetus LSG on our Volvo TMD22. A very simple change. If this comes up for anybody else this might save a bit of research time.



We put a rubber pad between the Vetus and the engine frame and strapped the unit tightly to the frame using the straps supplied by Vetus.  We added an additional rubber pad between the water lift and the hull. In case it does settle and touch the hull,this should reduce any chafing. 

A single Trident Rubber 3 1/2” 90 deg elbow connects the engine exhaust elbow to the water lift.

Our connection between the engine is 3 1/2”, the hoses from the outlet of the water lift on are all 3”.  As far as we found the muffler is only sold with identical inlet and outlet fittings.  But extra fittings are sold, and are all interchangeable. 


 

Wow, that is a clean install. Thanks for that.

I bet the white straps show stains!

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 10:33 AM Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:

We have finished the swap of the old Amel bespoke water lift with a Vetus LSG on our Volvo TMD22. A very simple change. If this comes up for anybody else this might save a bit of research time.



We put a rubber pad between the Vetus and the engine frame and strapped the unit tightly to the frame using the straps supplied by Vetus.  We added an additional rubber pad between the water lift and the hull. In case it does settle and touch the hull,this should reduce any chafing. 

A single Trident Rubber 3 1/2” 90 deg elbow connects the engine exhaust elbow to the water lift.

Our connection between the engine is 3 1/2”, the hoses from the outlet of the water lift on are all 3”.  As far as we found the muffler is only sold with identical inlet and outlet fittings.  But extra fittings are sold, and are all interchangeable. 


 

Bill,

Not to be picky, but isn't that elbow less than 90 degrees?


CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 10:40 AM Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:
Wow, that is a clean install. Thanks for that.

I bet the white straps show stains!

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
Address: 720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550 
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 10:33 AM Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:

We have finished the swap of the old Amel bespoke water lift with a Vetus LSG on our Volvo TMD22. A very simple change. If this comes up for anybody else this might save a bit of research time.



We put a rubber pad between the Vetus and the engine frame and strapped the unit tightly to the frame using the straps supplied by Vetus.  We added an additional rubber pad between the water lift and the hull. In case it does settle and touch the hull,this should reduce any chafing. 

A single Trident Rubber 3 1/2” 90 deg elbow connects the engine exhaust elbow to the water lift.

Our connection between the engine is 3 1/2”, the hoses from the outlet of the water lift on are all 3”.  As far as we found the muffler is only sold with identical inlet and outlet fittings.  But extra fittings are sold, and are all interchangeable. 


Bill Kinney
 

There are two "elbows."  One is the rotatable elbow integral to the muffler. That is a 45 degree elbow.  The other is a 3 1/2" diameter, 90 degree elbow made by Trident Rubber that we sourced from Defender (with the water lift itself.)

The angle of the photo gives a bit of a distorted perspective.

I was prepared for quite a bit more of a struggle in getting it located and connected.  Every once in a great while a project turns out to be EASIER than expected.  


Ron Hynes
 

Just a cautionary tale for those of us that occasionally put off critical items that they know they should Address now but for whatever reason decide to wait.


Several years ago I was traveling north from Florida and while in Charleston, noted some minor cracks in the top surface of my lift muffler. I thought I should keep an eye on that. My next stop in Southport, North Carolina, I noted that the cracks had deepened somewhat so I bought some epoxy and glass cloth to make a repair. I properly cleaned and prepared the surface and the repair cured well overnight and looked substantial, maybe even permanent. 


As luck would have it, the only motoring I did it for the next two days was out the Cape fear River to the ocean. I made a left and continued north to the blight at Cape Lookout where I anchored for 36 hours to wait for favorable winds to pass around Cape Hatteras.  I left at sunrise and experienced great sailing until I just rounded the Cape. The wind died and an updated weather forecast stated that within eight to 10 hours I would be experiencing strong northerly winds. With that in mind I motored at my full cruising speed. During an hourly check of the engine room, I noticed that the lift muffler had now ruptured and was spewing very hot sea water and diesel exhaust. In retrospect I probably should have reversed course and traveled back to Beaufort, probably 10 hours or so astern at this point. But I am somewhat of a hardheaded sailor and never really like to give up distance made.


I filled a large stainless steel salad bowl with wet rags and strapped it down over the rupture in the muffler. It seem to work quite well although there was still some leakage. I still had about 20 hours of motoring before I would reach a refuge in the Chesapeake. During this time, at every hourly engine check the rupture was getting worse.


It is difficult to imagine how much soot was deposited on every surface in the engine room. The sound insulation was soaked. My three beautiful cream colored Racor fuel filters were now almost black.


It was unfortunately July 4 weekend and all the marinas were packed with no room. I even tried to impose a harbor of refuge appeal on two marinas without success. I finally was able to stop in Deltaville Virginia, and placed an order for a replacement lift muffler.  The replacement arrived and was surprisingly easy to install and reconnect the exhaust hoses.


After getting two estimates of more than $2000 from smoke and fire remediation companies, I reluctantly called my insurance company for help. They eventually had a firm visit the boat and spent two days attempting to clean up the mess. Apparently there is no solvent for this soot which is deposited at fairly high temperature due to the exhaust gases and complicated by the fact that it’s in a saltwater spray. I really can’t imagine a worse concoction. After the insurance clean up, I was still embarrassed to show anybody my engine room. I spent hours and hours plus hired two other workers to help and we tried over $150 worth of different solvents. Nothing really dissolves this residue.


If you consult the available charts, my 109 hp Volvo penta requires a minimum exhaust diameter of 2 1/4 inches, exactly what the boat was equipped with. A former owner, however, I had lost two engines to following seas getting into his engine and had installed a ball valve in the exhaust line above the lift muffler. This reduced the effective size of the exhaust by 31%! Probably explains why my new lift muffler is the fourth one that has been on this boat. I have increased the diameter of the exhaust to 3 inches both in hopes of reducing the possibility of another lift muffler failure and in anticipation of re-powering. But to reiterate, just a warning to all to never ignore a potential calamity like happened to me. As my brother said, I think the only worst thing that could happen was if the boat had sunk!


Ron Hynes
S/V Swan Song - Meltem #29
954.319.0944

On Oct 13, 2021, at 10:28 AM, Bill Kinney <cruisingconsulting@...> wrote:

There are two "elbows."  One is the rotatable elbow integral to the muffler. That is a 45 degree elbow.  The other is a 3 1/2" diameter, 90 degree elbow made by Trident Rubber that we sourced from Defender (with the water lift itself.)

The angle of the photo gives a bit of a distorted perspective.

I was prepared for quite a bit more of a struggle in getting it located and connected.  Every once in a great while a project turns out to be EASIER than expected.