Watermaker

Patrick McAneny

A couple of questions, I was told by a water maker dealer in Antigua ,that I need to use special prefilters designed for watermakers .I had up to that point used filter elements I bought at Lowes , 5 and 25 microns. Was he just trying to sell me some expensive elements ,or was he telling me the truth and the prefilters  need to be for water makers specifically ?
Secondly , I have the 160l/hr. model ,could someone remind me of the size elements I need to purchase , and suggest a good place to purchase them in the US.
Thank You,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

Chuck_Kim_Joy

Hi Pat,
I stock up on these 5 and 20 micron from Amazon. I have the same watermaker as you. All the best to Diane.

Dominique Sery

Hello Patrick,
The filters sold by Dessalator are lengh 25 cm diameter 59 mm outside 29 mm inside. (5 and 25 microns).
The membranes sold by Dessalator are Filmtec model SW30-2540 for the 160 liters Dessalator l have. (Lenght 102/96 cms)
Dominique

Patrick McAneny

Dominique & Chuck , Thanks for the info , I will look up a Flimtec dealer.
Thanks Again,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

The filters sold by Dessalator are lengh 25 cm diameter 59 mm outside 29 mm inside. (5 and 25 microns).
The membranes sold by Dessalator are Filmtec model SW30-2540 for the 160 liters Dessalator l have. (Lenght 102/96 cms)
Dominique

Germain Jean-Pierre

Pat,

I use Water Anywhere for my Filmtec membranes

Much cheaper…

Jean-Pierre Germain, SM007, New Zealand

On 14 Sep 2021, at 06:42, Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32@...> wrote:

Dominique & Chuck , Thanks for the info , I will look up a Flimtec dealer.
Thanks Again,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

The filters sold by Dessalator are lengh 25 cm diameter 59 mm outside 29 mm inside. (5 and 25 microns).
The membranes sold by Dessalator are Filmtec model SW30-2540 for the 160 liters Dessalator l have. (Lenght 102/96 cms)
Dominique
<EC51DE97-0475-4A0D-844C-FE0B38526E3F.jpeg>
<EC51DE97-0475-4A0D-844C-FE0B38526E3F.jpeg>

Patrick McAneny

Germain,
They are about $20/each cheaper ,they also suggest membranes made by AMI in the US ,that are about $75./each cheaper, $183. and is a direct replacement for Filmtec SW 30-2540.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

The filters sold by Dessalator are lengh 25 cm diameter 59 mm outside 29 mm inside. (5 and 25 microns).
The membranes sold by Dessalator are Filmtec model SW30-2540 for the 160 liters Dessalator l have. (Lenght 102/96 cms)
Dominique
<EC51DE97-0475-4A0D-844C-FE0B38526E3F.jpeg>
<EC51DE97-0475-4A0D-844C-FE0B38526E3F.jpeg>

The 160 takes 2 each SW30-2540.

SW = Saltwater
30 = Type
25 = 2.5" diameter
40 = 40" long

Best,

CW Bill Rouse
Amel Owners Yacht School
+1 832-380-4970 | brouse@...
720 Winnie, Galveston Island, Texas 77550
www.AmelOwnersYachtSchool.com

On Mon, Sep 13, 2021, 2:29 PM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Germain,
They are about $20/each cheaper ,they also suggest membranes made by AMI in the US ,that are about $75./each cheaper, $183. and is a direct replacement for Filmtec SW 30-2540.
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

The filters sold by Dessalator are lengh 25 cm diameter 59 mm outside 29 mm inside. (5 and 25 microns).
The membranes sold by Dessalator are Filmtec model SW30-2540 for the 160 liters Dessalator l have. (Lenght 102/96 cms)
Dominique
<EC51DE97-0475-4A0D-844C-FE0B38526E3F.jpeg>
<EC51DE97-0475-4A0D-844C-FE0B38526E3F.jpeg>

Bill Kinney

Pat,

I can assure you that there is nothing at all "special" about the prefilters used for a watermater. A 5 micron rated filter will do fine. If you have dual filter housings in series, a 20 or 25 micron in the first chamber will catch the "big" stuff.  You'll generally do better with the pleated paper elements than the filament wound ones, but it's not critical.

I am betting that the guy who told you you needed "special" watermaker prefilters just happened to have some of these magic filters he was happy to sell you. I'd take all the advice you got from him with a very large dose of salt.

Although they are not expensive, in an emergency you can reuse them at least once or twice.  Put a line down the filter, tie a stopper knot , and tow them behind the boat.  The resulting "backwards" flow through the element does a good job at cleaning them if they are not too far gone.

Bill Kinney
SM160, Harmonie
Annapolis, MD, USA

Patrick McAneny

Bill & Bill, Thanks for explaining the numbers and their meaning. I really could not understand how the prefilters could be "special" , according to the dealer,thus the reason I asked my team of experts.
Another question: I have had two hoses made up by two different  hydraulic companies (the hose that runs from the membranes to the control panel) and neither have been able to supply stainless fittings. They have made them with steel fittings and rust quickly do to the salt water. Does anyone know somewhere I could have the hose made up with S.S. fittings and shipped to me?
Thanks,
Pat
SM Shenanigans

[...]

Any hydraulic hose fabricator (heavy equipment) may have them. My experience is at least half have the fittings in stainless steel.

Maybe you buy the fittings and have the shop do the crimp-on. https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/SS-FJX-06-06.html

Bill

CW Bill Rouse Amel Owners Yacht School
View My Training Calendar

On Tue, Sep 14, 2021 at 8:17 AM Patrick McAneny via groups.io <sailw32=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Bill, The two I have dealt with ,did not carry them in stock and I don't think they wanted to bother ordering them in for one small job, I will see if I provide the part ,they will crimp it on.
Thanks for the link,
Pat

[...]

Ron Hynes

Pat, if I recall you’re on the East Coast of the US, correct? If so try a company by the strange name of Collilower. They have over 30 branches from New York down to Florida I believe. A few months ago I had to make up a new set of hydraulic lines for my steering, and they did a marvelous job with stainless steel fittings.

Ron Hynes
954.319.0944

On Sep 14, 2021, at 12:58 PM, CW Bill Rouse <brouse@...> wrote:

[...]

Ron, Thank You, but I just ordered a new hose from the company that Bill sent me a link to. They are in Philadelphia , maybe 75 miles and they will ship it. The more local outfit wanted $80 per fitting ,plus hose and labor.
Pat
SM Shenanigans

[...]

Bill, I ordered a new 70" hose and SS. fittings from the link you sent me. Approx. $125 with shipping.
Thanks,
Pat